Cochran playing for GT in 2021 season

GTBillyJosh

Jolly Good Fellow
Quinney wasn’t remotely close to our best lineman. probably 4th with our Centers being the worst

Interesting take. I am certainly no expert on OL play, but I know that #78 (DeFoor) jumped out to me a bunch during games, and mostly not in a good way. How would you rank the top 3?

I’m very excited to add Cochran to the mix at LT. I’m thinking he’ll be our best OL next year, even with taking a year off. If Center play is among the weakest on the line, would it make sense to slide Ryan Johnson there... and side our 5th best linemen into Guard?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Interesting take. I am certainly no expert on OL play, but I know that #78 (DeFoor) jumped out to me a bunch during games, and mostly not in a good way. How would you rank the top 3?

I’m very excited to add Cochran to the mix at LT. I’m thinking he’ll be our best OL next year, even with taking a year off. If Center play is among the weakest on the line, would it make sense to slide Ryan Johnson there... and side our 5th best linemen into Guard?

Defoor
Johnson/Willams were about the same
Quinney
Centers (1 could block but couldn’t snap consistently other can snap but gets destroyed)

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Since we're just talking about future OL lineups for 2021, I think Leftwich has potential to make an impact as a freshman like Williams did this year. However, I don't think he'll get the playing time as it'll, hopefully, be less needed with Cochran, Quinney, and Williams available at Tackle.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
nothing personal but You are amazingly consistent with horrible takes on things
I wouldn't say that. The idea is does a 1 year guy hinder the growth of the younger guys or even pushes them into the portal. The portal is going to be huge in loss of depth. Do we take a 1 year guy and risk losing a future staple on the oline because he wants to start this year? There is a ton of balance with personalities on a team. He is an immediate help in 21, but we never know the repercussions. Wish he was on the team this year when we really needed him.

He may push someone like Wing out. We have already seen attrition. There has to be delicate balance is being a "transfer school" some upper 3 star players may pass on us due to knowing if a 4 star transfer comes home they are screwed.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't say that. The idea is does a 1 year guy hinder the growth of the younger guys or even pushes them into the portal. The portal is going to be huge in loss of depth. Do we take a 1 year guy and risk losing a future staple on the oline because he wants to start this year? There is a ton of balance with personalities on a team. He is an immediate help in 21, but we never know the repercussions. Wish he was on the team this year when we really needed him.

He may push someone like Wing out. We have already seen attrition. There has to be delicate balance is being a "transfer school" some upper 3 star players may pass on us due to knowing if a 4 star transfer comes home they are screwed.
I'm pretty sure that if we're still taking him that we really need him this year, too.

However, your point about potential for driving out some of the younger guys is an excellent and insightful one that I hadn't considered before. I need to add that into my equation from now on.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Quinney wasn’t remotely close to our best lineman. probably 4th with our Centers being the worst
Agreed with this.
We can not sit Williams. To me if anything we need to start moving on to the Collins/Key kids. Start moving on from the CPJ linemen as fast as possible. We have gained some solid talent the last 2 cycles at OL. Lets try and retain them all and give them playing time. By their 3rd and 4th year we may have 3 all ACC OL players.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
So with Cochran who is our starting 5 OL?
I prefer we play as many younger guys as we can to start getting them reps. Williams is a must start in my opinion. We probably win 5 games next year no matter who plays OL is my guess.

LT:
LG:
C:
RG:
RT:

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck

I don't see this as being an issue. Oline is usually where young players have to wait their turn unless they are a true stud or the team has a glaring need. Having Cochran gives the young guys another year to develop. With injuries they may need to play anyway. If we can get a proven experienced guy who should be an upgrade over what we have I am all for it. We really have not taken many one year rentals outside of glaring needs on the oline. Almost everyone else has had 4 years of eligibility remaining.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I don't see this as being an issue. Oline is usually where young players have to wait their turn unless they are a true stud or the team has a glaring need. Having Cochran gives the young guys another year to develop. With injuries they may need to play anyway. If we can get a proven experienced guy who should be an upgrade over what we have I am all for it. We really have not taken many one year rentals outside of glaring needs on the oline. Almost everyone else has had 4 years of eligibility remaining.
I would just hate for Quinney to over take Williams at RT. If anything I sit Quinney and start Cochran and Williams.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Who knows, by next season Williams may just be the better player anyway. He just might make a big leap with another spring and summer of s&c and preparation.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

Yeah Well I think most rational folks would prefer a NFL prospect SEC battle Hardened O-lineman for 1-2 years over a complete unknown freshman, plus it gives those kids more chance to develop their bodies and work in situationally.

But you keep being you man,I love it. I actually really enjoy your podcasts too 🤪

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
So with Cochran who is our starting 5 OL?
I prefer we play as many younger guys as we can to start getting them reps. Williams is a must start in my opinion. We probably win 5 games next year no matter who plays OL is my guess.

LT:
LG:
C:
RG:
RT:
So you’re suggesting we not play the best 5?

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
So you’re suggesting we not play the best 5?
I suggest playing your best 5, but Quinney isn't leaps and bounds better than Williams. If anything I'd say Williams was the 2nd best OL on the team and thats saying something for a true freshman. I think the bigger idea is to make sure you don't push away the younger kids. We aren't in a luxurious state where we can piss kids off from lack of playing time especially since Cochran is a 1 year rental and we aren't winning the ACC next year anyways. Id definitely start Cochran at LT, but no way I sit Williams unless he is flat out getting abused next year. He did a great job last year minus some scheme issues and the occasional false start which is expected for a true freshman.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Yeah Well I think most rational folks would prefer a NFL prospect SEC battle Hardened O-lineman for 1-2 years over a complete unknown freshman, plus it gives those kids more chance to develop their bodies and work in situationally.

But you keep being you man,I love it. I actually really enjoy your podcasts too 🤪
What I'm suggesting is start Cochran and Williams. At LT and RT. I wouldn't touch Williams as he is the future anchor of our Oline and may end up being a 1st or 2nd round draft pick. Kid has a TON of potential. The middle of the line is where it gets goofy. Who plays LG, C, and RG. Johnson wasn't overly impressive coming from a battle tested SEC team ( I don't believe he was a full time starter at Tennessee, not sure) He should improve with a full year in the system. So we have Johnson at RG or LG. But who plays Center and the other Guard spot? The Johnson era guys were flat out not cutting it. I'm curious if Franklin comes in day 1 and pushes for the other Guard spot. Where I have ZERO clue who should play center because as @Ibeeballin mentioned earlier the center play was atrocious possibly worst in the ACC.

slugboy

Staff member
Hopefully, we have a full Spring practice and summer session. If we do, the players and coaches have time to work out who plays where.