Cochran playing for GT in 2021 season

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
What's happened with Michael Maye and Austin Smith? These were 2 pretty highly thought of prospects who have been here for at least 2 maybe 3 years and have yet to even make an appearance. Does anyone have a view on their potential to contribute or does it look like they will be permanent practice squad material? How about the other redshirt freshmen that came in last year. Other than Williams, I have not seen or heard anything out of the other 3 or 4.

Go Jackets!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Cochran may have stayed at Vandy to finish his degree before transferring. Pure speculation but I could see him wanting to finish his degree if he was very close. Vandy is a good school.

ScGold

Banned
Wow ! That is some GREAT news ! This along with Johnson, Williams, Cooper , Minihan, Clark, Quinney, Pendley, and more , plus several R-Fr. should be a noticeable
improvement next year . Is it too soon to start getting pumped for next year ? :p
Never too soon. When is the last time we've had an OL with this much NFL potential at once?

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
It’ll be curious to see which freshman developed the most during the year. You have Paula, Spiers, Rankins, and Cade. A few of those players early enrolled and benefitted from extra time in the weight room. Also can’t forget about Franklin and Hendley who are both Guards. I feel like we are finally developing depth at OL again after being so shorthanded in 2019. With Johnson coming back, Cooper Coming back, and Cochran joining, I feel like we will have successfully bridged the gap until 2022 to give the younger guys time to develop.

Jk8Fan

Georgia Tech Fan
isnt Vaipulu a center. Why did he not play this year?
If Kenny Cooper gets 100% healthy, I'd expect to see him at center. He played a heck of a 4th quarter against Duke despite being down injured at least 2x during the game. He was playing with a mean streak and, most importantly, his snaps were on target. Sims had to pick way too many snaps off the ground this season. There were a few times the snap delayed the read on the QB option play and allowed a DE or LB to disrupt the play and cause a loss or a fumble.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Always. What ratings do you see that Defoor was our best OL ? Can you elaborate ?
I just saw 2021 draft analysis by Tony Pauline that had Quinney at #367 prospect 6th round, Defoor #1129 prospect FA.

According to who? Not being a jerk but seriously asking because that’s not what I’m seeing.

I misspoke about 2019...grade-wise PFF had Mike Minihan as our highest overall graded OL. Looks like PFF has hidden their player grades behind a paywall now:

FWIW, Defoor was the only GT OL to make All ACC last season, and he started this season as a Preseason All ACC as well.

This season it looks like Ryan Johnson was the only GT OL that had a statistically good year: