Coastal Race Going Into Week 12

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Let's see how cheerful everyone is after consecutive losses to Clemson and Georgia.

Not a single one of you will come on here and post about how thrilled you are we got to 8 wins.
Mark me down as one that will be smiles even if we lose our last two games. I just will not want to talk about those games for a few days. It is remarkable that we are where we are with an average 55 ranking in recruiting. On paper we should get drilled and should have 2 or 3 more losses. Ranking 55 before losing a dozen players out of our three deep . A lot of people will find fault with CPJ with that final result but it will not be me. This offense rivals the Fridge with Joe Ham and any other that has graced the flats.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
I would rather Tech go and win the ACC championship to get to Orange Bowl then getting in by FSU beating Duke in the ACC-CG.
But Duke is looking real good, I don't see them losing 2 more. I don't see how Orange Bowl would take Tech at 10-2 over Duke at 11-2 or 10-3 with Duke beating GT head to head, plus div winner, plus loss to no 1/2 FSU.

If GT is 10-2 at that point, it's because we beat Clemson and UGA. I think that would be enough to get us the OB pick over lucky lucky dook

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Let's see how cheerful everyone is after consecutive losses to Clemson and Georgia.

Not a single one of you will come on here and post about how thrilled you are we got to 8 wins.
I would easily come on here and post about how thrilled I am. This season has already been a success. I could name have a dozen games that either Vegas, the football pundits on TV, blog writers, or fans on this site said we were going to lose. I will not rehash all of those games for you but the bottom line is that this team has played well, surprised all of those who picked Tech for the bottom of the conference and is building a strong foundation for continued success in the future.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
So it's the typical end of season mess with us tied for first or second. Screw ESPN again for picking us 13th of 14.

At least we're in the conversation. So many years we'd be 4-4 in the ACC. I'm pretty sure PJ would say to his guys, "Well, you shouldn't have lost to Duke at home. Stop complaining and eat this knuckle sandwich I'm going to shove down your throat if you don't block Clemson's D-Line."

I really do think we'd give FSU a much better game than Duke. We're 2-1 against FSU under PJ, losing 21-15 in the ACCCG. Duke has lost 4 straight under Cut, all by scores like 48-7, 45-7, etc.

Animal02

Banned
I would easily come on here and post about how thrilled I am. This season has already been a success. I could name have a dozen games that either Vegas, the football pundits on TV, blog writers, or fans on this site said we were going to lose. I will not rehash all of those games for you but the bottom line is that this team has played well, surprised all of those who picked Tech for the bottom of the conference and is building a strong foundation for continued success in the future.

We were picked to finish 13 in the ACC. Here we are with one game let in the ACC and we still have a shot at the Coastal. That it success in itself (though I never thought we were that bad) I anticipated far more hiccups in the offense......we have only had one game where that was the case. Things only look brighter next year.

Atomic Jacket

Banned
Mark me down as one that will be smiles even if we lose our last two games. I just will not want to talk about those games for a few days. It is remarkable that we are where we are with an average 55 ranking in recruiting. On paper we should get drilled and should have 2 or 3 more losses. Ranking 55 before losing a dozen players out of our three deep . A lot of people will find fault with CPJ with that final result but it will not be me. This offense rivals the Fridge with Joe Ham and any other that has graced the flats.

You can't use the recruiting ranking as a benchmark for how "remarkable" 8 wins on the season is, because according to Paul Johnson the recruiting rankings don't mean anything. According to Johnson, being ranked 55th in recruiting is meaningless because the recruiting services don't know anything. Therefore, you have to assume recruiting has been perfect. On the other hand, if you do believe the recruiting rankings--that is, if you believe Paul Johnson has absolutely no idea what he's talking about in this regard--then you have to judge Johnson partially on his failure to adequately recruit. Recruiting is one of the primary jobs of a head coach. In other words, you can't just discount a few losses on the basis of poor recruiting, because if the coach had done his job properly in the arena of recruiting, then perhaps those games would not have been lost.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
You can't use the recruiting ranking as a benchmark for how "remarkable" 8 wins on the season is, because according to Paul Johnson the recruiting rankings don't mean anything. According to Johnson, being ranked 55th in recruiting is meaningless because the recruiting services don't know anything. Therefore, you have to assume recruiting has been perfect. On the other hand, if you do believe the recruiting rankings--that is, if you believe Paul Johnson has absolutely no idea what he's talking about in this regard--then you have to judge Johnson partially on his failure to adequately recruit. Recruiting is one of the primary jobs of a head coach. In other words, you can't just discount a few losses on the basis of poor recruiting, because if the coach had done his job properly in the arena of recruiting, then perhaps those games would not have been lost.
If a coach has done his job properly he'd around 8-2 right now.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I feel like I have had this conversation a hundred times before on other sites. I will save us the trouble of going over all of this again. You don't like CPJ and you are not going to be satisfied with this season. O.K., fine, I get that. You asked a question about whether any of us would be willing to come on here and say the season was a success if Tech lost the last two games. I have answered your question in the affirmative. But let me say it again. I am pleased with Tech's season. I have many reasons for feeling that way but I have so illusions that I would ever change your mind and I have no intention of trying.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

At the beginning of the season, I projected an 8-4 record with wins over 2 of the "Big 4" opponents.* I also said that 9-3 was possible and 10-2 wasn't unreachable. I'll state right now that I am satisfied with this teams efforts and results this year. Anything else is just gravy at this point. If it makes you happy,though, I'll come back and post the same thing regardless of the results three weeks from now.

*My projection was on the AJC site as I only recently started posting here.

LarryMunson

Jolly Good Fellow
He's absolutely right. I wish we had a pro style offense like we had under CCG. Our games were more fun to watch- 10-9, 13-3. A high scoring offense, high scoring defense and strong special teams unit only hides the flaws in recruiting, on the sidelines and locker room. Sure, we might have high hopes of beating Clempsun and ugag- and then FSU. If that happened, we would have an opponent in January who can prepare an entire month. Who wants that?
Nobody!
Best that we go 6-6 or 7-5 and have an early bowl, like the poinsettia or papa Murphy's take and bake bowl on December 10th.

You people should be ashamed.

;)

Atomic Jacket

Banned
If you feel A J is trolling, then don't feed the troll.

It is not trolling to simply have an unpopular opinion. If everyone agreed with each other, what would be the point in discussing anything? I actually do encourage people who disagree with me but do not want to hear any opinions but their own, to please put me on ignore. Not for trolling, but simply because they want to live in an echo chamber. That's fine. Enjoy yourself. I actively disagree, which means when I see something I disagree with, I do not stand idly by. I speak up. Lots of people don't like that, and constantly threaten to put me on ignore. To be honest, I wish they would just go ahead and be done with it, because there's nothing more boring than hearing people talk about how they're going to put me on ignore. I'd rather be able to skip past that and read posts that genuinely challenge my point of view. Guys, I'm here to learn other's opinions as well as give my own. I'm a working man and my time is limited. Better to not have to push through the dross.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not Paul. I can and did use it. I always love it when someone tells me what I can't do! He has a valid point concerning how a service rates one player as the #21 guard prospect and there is no way of knowing the difference from #35 . Always love his thoughts on the experts that have never coached and if they were good they would have their on team. Not very sure you are very good at this evaluation game either.