Coastal Race Going Into Week 12

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Everything expected happened this weekend for a change. Here's the future schedule for Coastal and FSU/Clemson.

Bottom line remain the same, we have to beat Clemson to have a chance to win Coastal. I'd make it Fluke 1 in 2 (50%), Miami 1 in 3 and GT 1 in 6 chance of winning Coastal.
wk0htr10lo5sx3p6g.jpg

Duke will probably lose their next two to VT and UNC. VT is coming off a bye and needs two wins in three games to make a bowl. Then UNC will fill the Flukies stadium and physically beat the crap out of Duke - matching the dirtiest team in the ACC (Fluke) and taking them one better in a cage fight. Think Greek tragedy for the Flukies where the Gods set them on a pedestal just to watch them fall. The only way we win Coastal is for Fluke to lose the next two.

GT has to beat Clemson or go to 3 losses. No way we win Coastal with three losses (Good work by @dhbartlett12 showing that we can't win a 3 way tiebreaker with 2 losses for GT, Miami and Fluke @ http://gtswarm.com/threads/coastal-chaos-we-cannot-win-a-tiebreak.4675/ ) I give us a 50/50 chance to beat Clemson - but that will get beat to death separately.

Miami will beat FSU I think (55/45 chance). Not good for the ACC overall, but it is what it is. FSU has too many flaws and Miami is coming off the bye. Then Miami beats UVa and Pitt ending with two ACC losses.

FSU will win Atlantic since they'd have to lose to both Miami and BC and Clemson would have to beat us. No way do I see BC beating FSU.

So it's the typical end of season mess with us tied for first or second. Screw ESPN again for picking us 13th of 14.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
One thing's for sure, this will be the first time in forever I'll actually root for VT. At least if Duke wins, it means another Hokie loss. Win-win for me!

I've already decided I'm just as happy with maximizing what we control from here on out. What we do on the field is all that matters. If the other dominoes happen to fall in place, too, that's gravy.

Duke and VT play at noon, too. So hopefully good news will scroll across the video strip at BDS while good news is happening on the field below!

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
One thing's for sure, this will be the first time in forever I'll actually root for VT.

Well just make sure you wear the ugly purple and NOT the ugly Orange if you choose to root for VPISU - we wouldn't want to confuse you for a Clemson fan...

It's interesting how narrow the possibilities are now for us due to the difference in the number of ACC games we've played (and never mind the strength of schedule difference). We need to take care of our business, and we need VPISU to win. Nothing else really matters to us.

/

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
You're where I am, if we win out, I'll be ecstatic. I have enjoyed this season the most since 2009. I kind of feel like we are playing with house money right now.

agree with you. this season is what I hope for out of GT FB. Steady improvement over the course of the year and to still be in the hunt for the division/conf. championship.It is also great to have two top 20? 25? teams playing at BDS this late in the season. We all understand what GT's limitations are but many (most?) of us believe that there is enough tradition and resources for us not to be a top 25 team on a consistent basis.

You're where I am, if we win out, I'll be ecstatic. I have enjoyed this season the most since 2009. I kind of feel like we are playing with house money right now.
I still think the best scenario is to have Duke win the Division and for us to go to a nice bowl game. It certainly helps that both Va. Tech and UNC have a glimmer of hope for bowl eligibility, but we are at the point of needing both of those losses for Duke, and still have to beat Clemson. Awfully big trifecta. Still remember in 2008, while we were in Athens pulling the upset, we needed help from UVA to win the coastal and didn't get it.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Hasn't this just been a great season? We had all the fear from JT being an untested sophomore quarterback that would "no doubt break our heart with some mistakes this year" and the ever dwindling defensive line that was going allow every team to just "run it down our throats". We have made some mistakes, but the offense has kicked butt. JT has played like a poised veteran expert at QB. Also the defense has gutted it out and secured the turnovers necessary to already exceed the win totals for the past few years.

If we can win a couple more, this team will rank very very high in my personal list of favorite GT teams regardless of making the ACC Championship game. I am looking forward to a seeing JT next year on the preseason cover of Sports Illustrated with the caption "The OLD School Offense that the New Defenses Can't Stop".

Beat the Tiggers and UGAG!!!!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
With 8 seniors on clemson defense I am concerned .
At start of season depressed would be the right word.

This year
Let's hope the season ends on a fluke streak

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
1. I agree that us winning is bigger than coastal. If we win out, we will be higher ranjed than a team losing the ACCCG.

2. I think we're more likely to beat CU than d'oh u to beat fsu.

3. I think Duke could easily lose 2+ of their last 3 games. So, winning the Coastal isn't all that remote.

Go Tech

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Sucks that all of Duke’s remaining games are at home. I’d like to see what we could do against FSU but I don’t think it’ll happen. I’m still happy with this season regardless. All I really care about now is beating UGA. Anything else is icing on the cake.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
I would rather Tech go and win the ACC championship to get to Orange Bowl then getting in by FSU beating Duke in the ACC-CG.
But Duke is looking real good, I don't see them losing 2 more. I don't see how Orange Bowl would take Tech at 10-2 over Duke at 11-2 or 10-3 with Duke beating GT head to head, plus div winner, plus loss to no 1/2 FSU.

jeffgt14

ACC bowl games are basically all **** now outside of the Russell Athletic Bowl which was basically created to put Notre Dame in every year that they don’t make a New Year’s bowl.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I would rather Tech go and win the ACC championship to get to Orange Bowl then getting in by FSU beating Duke in the ACC-CG.
But Duke is looking real good, I don't see them losing 2 more. I don't see how Orange Bowl would take Tech at 10-2 over Duke at 11-2 or 10-3 with Duke beating GT head to head, plus div winner, plus loss to no 1/2 FSU.

IIuc, the Orange Bowl must take the highest ranked ACC team if the ACC Champ goes to the playoffs. If Duke wins out they'll either get a playoff invite (who knows by that time) or go to the OB as ACC champ. However, if Duke does not win out, and we do, beating CU and U[sic]Ga, then we may jump Duke in the rankings, especially if they drop one before the ACC CG.

jeffgt14

IIuc, the Orange Bowl must take the highest ranked ACC team if the ACC Champ goes to the playoffs. If Duke wins out they'll either get a playoff invite (who knows by that time) or go to the OB as ACC champ. However, if Duke does not win out, and we do, beating CU and U[sic]Ga, then we may jump Duke in the rankings, especially if they drop one before the ACC CG.
I've been wondering if it's the highest ACC standings-wise or college football playoff ranking wise.