Coastal Carolina

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/042816aaa.html

Gold, TBA and Lee to pitch. Kind of surprised that Parr wasn't the Saturday starter. Hope he isn't hurt. Maybe the vulture is being held back in case he has to pitch on Friday night. ("Junior LHP Ben Parr has earned “the vulture” nickname from his teammates after picking up his seventh win of the season Saturday night at Clemson. Six of Parr’s seven wins have come in relief when the Jackets are tied or trailing in the game.")

But I'm glad to see Fr (Lee) starting. This class we have is going to get a lot better and we need to pitch them early and often to speed the process along.

Coastal is for real. They have won 18 of their last 20 and are ranked 15th (RPI of 11th). D1Baseball says that they have a good chance of hosting a super regional if they can win the series this weekend. These weekend series are a lot more important for public perception than mid-week. We'll need to win 2 @ home to maintain our place in the RPI (22nd).

Are finals next week? I'm guessing since we don't have a mid-week game.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm also surprised Parr isnt penciled in as the starter on Saturday. I think it'll have to be him because I don't really see any other option. Dulaney and Gibson have pitched pretty well, but both seem to do better in relief. Obviously Ryan is not an option at this point.

I agree on Lee--hopefully he continues to improve and settles into that Sunday role. I think he walked only like 1 batter last year in HS, so he has proven he has good control---it's just a matter of translating that to the college game. Him, Dulaney, Gibson, Carpenter, and Gauvreau need to get as many innings as possible over the next few weeks.

Not sure on the finals question.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Freshman Carter Hall gets career-first start at 2nd base. Brandon Gold takes the mound tonight vs Coastal Carolina
ChPLjuJW4AAMzxc.jpg

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
B3 good game.

Gold doing great. And we are getting the pitch count up on the CC ace - 48 pitches with an out in the B3. Pabst is such a great fighter at the plate. Got a walk after 0-2 start.

Justus gets a walk after a wild pitch. Just keep running up the pitch count and get to the bullpen early on Friday night!!!!

Hall walks. Bases loaded, one out. Damn it's nice not having it be our pitcher who can't throw strikes.

Nice sac to deep right by Gonzo to score Pabst. Good baseball. 1-0

Kel double over the OF head - error, GT 3-0

End of 3, 3-0 and the CC ace has 59 pitches..... (y)

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here was D1 Baseball lead this morning: http://www.d1baseball.com/analysis/roundup042916/

I like this site a lot more than the Perfect Game site .... Perfect Game has more on individual players and D1 has more on teams and conferences it seems. I think they are being optimistic about our hosting ..... talk to me after Miami and UVa. I'd agree that conditionally we would be in the mix for hosting (ATL anyone?) based on CC series, but those next weekends will largely decide where we are in the ACC.

"Team Of The Day: Georgia Tech
The Yellow Jackets have stepped out of ACC play this weekend to take on No. 15 Coastal Carolina, and what a series opener it was for Danny Hall’s club. The Jackets peppered the Chanticleers to the tune of 9-1 with righthander Brandon Gold leading the charge on the mound. Gold struck out five, walked two and allowed a run on six hits in eight innings. Meanwhile, the offense, too, had a good night with DH Brandt Stallings going 2-for-4 with a home run and four RBIs, while right fielder Kel Johnson added a pair of hits to help lead the charge.

Most importantly, the Jackets are another win this weekend from getting seriously into the hosting mix. Right now, the RPI is in the top 20, and while they still have work to do in league play the rest of the way, it gets them into the discussion."

Hope TBA pitches well today. He did ok last week o_O We know it's not Dulaney. Gold gave us 8 great innings with one run and Dulaney took down the ninth 1-2-3 in 12 pitches. We got CC to use two relievers (but only 10 and 23 pitches) so we are in as good a position as we could be by not having to use Gorst. I'd still guess Parr to start.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
STALLINGS GRAND SLAM 8-1 B5 1 out
Chased starting ace, reliever gives up a GS. Not bad. Gold going good.

I don't usually comment on uniforms, but the CC pants look like something some people wear to bed.
When the TV first went on the air, you could see two people playing pitch in the background. I thought they were two umpires and thought "that's the first time I've ever seen that". Of course it was two CC players in those uni's which looked like umpire uni's at a distance.