Coaching Search- Timeline

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Plenty of threads about potential candidates. I have my list just like others. But let’s talk timeline.
We have 3 weeks until signing day. Big recruiting weekends we’re going to be 12/7 and 12/14. Dead period starts 12/17. My thinking is we will have a new coach in place by the 12th if not sooner. Encouraged by what Stansbury said today and the fact he’s already on the road.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
We don't know if he's going to his niece's wedding or meeting a candidate, so let's not assume that his plane to catch is work-related. Unless he said he was going to go talk to someone?

If you look at the timeline that D-Rad had, CPJ was hired Dec 7. I'm hoping we get the right guy around the same timeframe.

Let's hope TS moves quickly on this - he's got to with the early signing period right around the corner.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, this year we are competing with Colorado, Texas Tech, Louisville, and Maryland as far as P5 jobs go. We probably can get who we want or at worst maybe our 2nd choice. If this drags out then that is a major red flag on how our Athletic Department is running.

Deleted member 2897

I would say Scott Satterfield would be at the top of my list if I were Todd. I don't think you bring in another similar option guy with all the angst it has caused over the years. Does it negatively affect recruiting? Did Russell? I mean you can't put a number on it, but yes. If you're looking to really light a fire under the Administration, fans, etc., I don't think you bring in another service academy-like guy.

Satterfield would likely keep most of the defense, and continuity would be a big plus. I think your risk of taking a 7-8 win team and creating a rebuilding 2-3 years if if you wholesale change everything. He's got a proven track record. He has done more with less. He's faced uphill battles against recruiting and resources. You could make a move most quickly with him I would think. We could afford him - and don't forget how much we all hate that, but its a real thing.

I won't go any further than that, but there are other good options.

If time is of the essence (back to one of the purposes of this thread), I think this guy checks a lot of those marks. If we go after anybody else, I think the vetting and timing process would take a lot longer. Both ways too - Satterfield would trust what Woody and company tell him about what its like at Georgia Tech. Other potential candidates won't have that inside info and will likely shop themselves around and take more time with their own reverse vetting.

Just my 2 cents.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Yup. He said he has "gone dark" - has gotten lots of calls and messages, but has returned none of them. :meh:
I don't know, I feel like that may be a good thing overall. If he talks to anyone and it gets out then it's 'we offered them but they turned us down' kind of thing. It's better if he takes it slow and easy I believe. I get your point (about saying thanks and we're thinking/working) but he's probably better off with a clear head.

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I would think next week at the latest if we have any chance of salvaging recruiting class and potentially adding a few pieces to lay the groundwork for a new system. I.e. we need a TE or 3. Lol

Deleted member 2897

I would think next week at the latest if we have any chance of salvaging recruiting class and potentially adding a few pieces to lay the groundwork for a new system. I.e. we need a TE or 3. Lol

We actually have quite a few guys who played Tight End in high school. Josh Tukes comes to mind. I think also Kevin Wolf, Luke Johns...all those guys are big frames and like 6'5"+.

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer