Coaching Search- Timeline

Animal02

Banned
Bobby Ross and a national championship. He brought us out of the ruins that Curry left. Curry’s players did not like Ross’s discipline.

Curry learning how to coach and having one great year followed by a middling one and leaving for Alabama. Our worst years were under Curry. Talk of moving athletics to D3. I sat through those. Never again.

Pepper leading us out of the graveyard but giving up at the end. We went to the Peach Bowl and got killed the year before Curry was hired.

Curry and Pepper Rogers were both Tech legends.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Suffered through it as well.
Escaped in 83.....took years to get interested in Tech football again.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Plenty of threads about potential candidates. I have my list just like others. But let’s talk timeline.
We have 3 weeks until signing day. Big recruiting weekends we’re going to be 12/7 and 12/14. Dead period starts 12/17. My thinking is we will have a new coach in place by the 12th if not sooner. Encouraged by what Stansbury said today and the fact he’s already on the road.

A timeline thread is good in theory.

But when every other thread has thousands of posts rehashing the same arguments, forcing opposing views into small strawman box, it will be hard to keep this thread focused on process.

Here's my speculation fwiw:

TStan has had this situation in mind at least as a possibility for a while, so he likely has a good idea of what he's looking for and top candidates.

He stayed dark on Thursday and has CFP duties this weekend. So, his personal involvement will likely crank up early next week.

The Ken Whisenhunt and Bill Elliot leaks smell to me like they're coming from the applicant side more than the Tech side. I don't think we'll hear serious candidate names until at least the middle of next week.

With that being said, contact with current bowl eligible head coaches may be limited for a while.

On the other hand, the recruiting news does seem odd for the weekend after the head coach steps down. Either there's something we don't know, or the anybody but Johnson has opened the floodgates for GT (or we've sold the 40yr plan well).

Depending on our ability to contact/interview bowl-eligible head coaches this next week, I'd like to see a decision within 2 weeks.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I could be wrong, but I have a feeling T Stan has the guy he wants already. T Stan said himself that he is ignoring everyone pretty much. He seems to be under a rock, and I could see him coming out as early as the middle of next week and announcing a new hire which no one saw coming.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I originally thought TStan was blindsided by CPJ’s retirement because his “going dark” comment made me think he needed to collect his thoughts before moving forward. Now, I’m wondering if the plan all along was for CPJ to step down after this season and CPJ’s extension was just an effort to keep recruits flowing into the program without disruption. The possibilities are driving me crazy. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AugJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I originally thought TStan was blindsided by CPJ’s retirement because his “going dark” comment made me think he needed to collect his thoughts before moving forward. Now, I’m wondering if the plan all along was for CPJ to step down after this season and CPJ’s extension was just an effort to keep recruits flowing into the program without disruption. The possibilities are driving me crazy. [emoji3]

I agree, you never see college coaches on a one-year deal anymore. Lame ducks can’t get recruits.

sc jacket 22

Jolly Good Fellow

I wish it was true, but I seriously doubt this is how it worked out.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
TStan said he would ideally like to have someone hired before signing day, but wont sacrifice that for getting the right person. I would think if timeframe is important, that is a strike against Whisenhunt. I just really want some other names to emerge and hear about more interviews next week.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
TStan said he would ideally like to have someone hired before signing day, but wont sacrifice that for getting the right person. I would think if timeframe is important, that is a strike against Whisenhunt. I just really want some other names to emerge and hear about more interviews next week.
I agree but most of the coaches we have talked about will be in the playoffs or bowl games. We will need to fine someone who will be willing to just come or work 2 jobs at the same time. Problem if they don't come fast they want have a coaching staff to help with recruiting. ( Bad timing sucks )

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I agree but most of the coaches we have talked about will be in the playoffs or bowl games. We will need to fine someone who will be willing to just come or work 2 jobs at the same time. Problem if they don't come fast they want have a coaching staff to help with recruiting. ( Bad timing sucks )

If it is Collins, Satterfield, etc, not a huge deal. Not uncommon for interims to coach in these less meaningful bowl games. With Elliott, we would have to wait longer or have him do 2 jobs. With Whisenhunt, we would have to wait the longest, possibly even February.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

That is a very short term worry. Get the right guy and if that means having to wait a few weeks whatever.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
Tried posting this in the other thread but it just too big, a lot of posts get swallowed up, and I haven't gotten a response. So when can we interview guys that are still currently coaching their respective teams?

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
From what I recall, didn’t Kirby accept the UGA job 2 years ago after the SEC Championship game but still coached Bama in the playoffs?