Coaching Carousel 9 - People die climbing mountains

spdrama

Jolly Good Fellow
Proof that he ain't an idiot! Smart move, imo, by him to stay.
absolutely. What they offered him would make him the 6th highest paid NBA coach. Why would he go to such a storied franchise in such a huge market, leave his east Coast family, friends & colleagues to pay California taxes and sit that low on the NBA coaching ladder. Connecticut Governor promised to make him highest paid college coach. If he gets more than Self, he salary would top the Lakers’ offer. Lakers wasted his time, but made his choice an easy one by insulting him

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I heard he will get $8 million per year to stay at UConn. That’s way too close to the Lakers’ offer. They could have blown him away with money, but their offer was awfully close (net after taxes) to UConn.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I believe this was all a ploy by Hurley and his agent and he never really considered going to LA. Keep in mind he had a new contract offer on the table at UCONN but he hadn't signed it. Then someone (probably his agent) let it be known that he hadn't signed the deal. After previously turning down Kentucky here come the Lakers and his agent had to know there would be a huge media storm around this. So Hurley lets that play out and uses it to get UCONN to sweeten their deal which is where he wanted to stay all along. Pretty much Negotiating 101....use other interested parties to increase your value. Not a good look for the Lakers and Lebron though.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
UConn had $93M in revenue in the most recent school year. They had $30M in Institutional Support. What's another $3M per year? Crazy.

slugboy

Staff member
I’m not an LA person—it’s not a place I feel at home—but with taxes and everything $9 million per year nets you a nice lifestyle there.

The job is a grind, but possibly less of a grind than a P6 job. He might not get a huge chance to enjoy his job. Plus, the Laker situation is especially a grind for a coach (unless you’re Phil Jackson and you have just the right people on your team)

The offer was life changing money for all but a few people. Maybe Hurley isn’t one of them. Plus, if you’re set for life, the motivation to be more set for life may not be worth it.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I’m not an LA person—it’s not a place I feel at home—but with taxes and everything $9 million per year nets you a nice lifestyle there.

The job is a grind, but possibly less of a grind than a P6 job. He might not get a huge chance to enjoy his job. Plus, the Laker situation is especially a grind for a coach (unless you’re Phil Jackson and you have just the right people on your team)

The offer was life changing money for all but a few people. Maybe Hurley isn’t one of them. Plus, if you’re set for life, the motivation to be more set for life may not be worth it.
If TooTall is correct with his math, the Lakers offer might actually be LESS than the net from his $8 million (assuming he gets that) from UConn.

Point is, it's life changing money either way. So, once you get there, it becomes the other intangibles that swing the deal.

BraveandBold

Georgia Tech Fan
He will get nearly that at UCONN without the hassle of the NBA salary cap/contract restrictions. Smart move by Hurley.
But he has to put up with the NIL, portal transfers, and the NCAA. He not only has to recruit new players but he has to recruit his existing players EVERY YEAR.

spdrama

Jolly Good Fellow
But he has to put up with the NIL, portal transfers, and the NCAA. He not only has to recruit new players but he has to recruit his existing players EVERY YEAR.
Those are not major hurdles for a repeat National Champion school with a basketball history and alumni like UConn. The best players can’t wait to be recruited by Hurley from HS or portal. He has 2 problems. Which 4 star kids to say “no” to and which 5 star kids he will lose to the NBA after 1 year.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure that NIL and the current mess of college sports is any less of a headache
He won 2 straight NCAA Championships so clearly he knows how to navigate those issues at the college level. He can dump bad players and replace them with very good ones every year at the college level. In the NBA the dumped player’s salary still counts.

I suspect the Lakers needed to at least 50% more than they did for him to seriously consider that job.

Not to mention the Lakers have had 7 coaches since Phil Jackson retired in 2011

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Headed to Maine a month from Monday! Super excited though admittedly a little bummed Precipice in Acadia is more than likely going to be closed for Peregrine Falcon season. Done it several times before but was hoping to introduce it to my partner - this will be her first time visiting Acadia.
Take her to the Terrace Grille. You'll be forgiven.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
You have to fight your way into and around Bar Harbor to enjoy the Terrace Grille. It's not worth it. Especially since Young's in Belfast has better lobster rolls and far better atmosphere. Sitting on the dock and eating lobster with juice dripping off your elbows is the best experience in Maine.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
UConn basketball is the living example of how college basketball isn't about budget. GT has about a $20M advantage in budget. What you do with the money is more important than the sum. Our fans need to stop whining about money.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
UConn basketball is the living example of how college basketball isn't about budget. GT has about a $20M advantage in budget. What you do with the money is more important than the sum. Our fans need to stop whining about money.
Our problem is that we throw piles of money at football, renovations, and coach buyouts. UConn almost definitely has a higher hoops budget than us considering Hurley makes 4x what CDS does and Auriemma makes over 3x what Nell does.

Don't get me wrong - I love the football team and I'm probably biased because I'm a bigger hoops fan but men's basketball with a freshly renovated arena in the heart of Atlanta has no reason not to be a beacon of success. I've been flying the "Georgia Tech is a basketball school" flag for a long time, begging others to hop on board, but old traditions/history with the 4 national championships in football die hard.