Coaching Carousel 9 - People die climbing mountains

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Terrible situation to go to. Currently now a clown organization that is going to be forced to draft a mid tier euro league player simply because he's the son of the main clown running the organization. How many coaches has the "greatest player ever" ( :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:) ran out of town after he selected them?

Stay in the college game you smug $oB.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
For LeBron's swan song they need someone with pretty deep NBA roots. Reddick makes more sense than this to me.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Terrible situation to go to. Currently now a clown organization that is going to be forced to draft a mid tier euro league player simply because he's the son of the main clown running the organization. How many coaches has the "greatest player ever" ( :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:) ran out of town after he selected them?

Stay in the college game you smug $oB.
"Lets leave a top 10 job in CBB and hope that Lebron enjoys my style of play before he decides to have me fired 20 games into the first season"

Passssssssssssssssssss

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
"Lets leave a top 10 job in CBB and hope that Lebron enjoys my style of play before he decides to have me fired 20 games into the first season"

Passssssssssssssssssss

Get a 4-year, guaranteed probably $8-10 mil/year to coach for 20 games. Then go right back to whatever cbb job you want?

Pass?

We may not like it, but that's the game, peaco.

Folks think this is Lebron using others. Nah, it's others using Lebron.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Woj had some interesting comments about the Lakers wanting to bring Hurley in to build a "program".

The NBA seems to be shifting to a league that requires roster depth and actually developing young players for the long term, rather than mortgaging your future for high priced free agents and blockbuster trades.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
That sounds like the NFL and MLB also. For MLB, they are prioritizing home grown talent and a deep and productive minor league system. The draft is the lifeblood of NFL teams.

For all the leagues, franchises depend on production from players on their first contract.

Could the Star System of winning and marketing have had its run? Is depth the new thing?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
That sounds like the NFL and MLB also. For MLB, they are prioritizing home grown talent and a deep and productive minor league system. The draft is the lifeblood of NFL teams.

For all the leagues, franchises depend on production from players on their first contract.

Could the Star System of winning and marketing have had its run? Is depth the new thing?

The league has a dearth of superstars. Otherwise it'd just be star-business as usual.

Luka, Jokic, Giannis are great but they don't carry Luke the old stars used to.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
The league has a dearth of superstars. Otherwise it'd just be star-business as usual.

Syndrome Quote from The Incredibles

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck

Eh, the last 10 champs:

2014: Tim Duncan, Kawhi, etc
2015: Steph
2016: Lebron
2017: Steph + KD
2018: Steph + KD
2019: Kawhi
2020: Lebron
2021: Giannis
2022: Steph
2023: Jokic

2024: either Luka or Tatum

The most marginal names on that list would be Kawhi and possibly Tatum?

You need more than just one superstar and it helps if they aren’t 40, but winning without any would be something else entirely.

I think there’s a real possibility that the future continues to be heavily oriented around Giannis, Luka, Jokic too. With potential superstar futures from SGA or Anthony Edwards or Wemby…

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Get a 4-year, guaranteed probably $8-10 mil/year to coach for 20 games. Then go right back to whatever cbb job you want?

Pass?

We may not like it, but that's the game, peaco.

Folks think this is Lebron using others. Nah, it's others using Lebron.
yeah but weighed against having to live in California........i mean, gross. Then again, hes in Connecticut now so.....six of one...

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Eh, the last 10 champs:

2014: Tim Duncan, Kawhi, etc
2015: Steph
2016: Lebron
2017: Steph + KD
2018: Steph + KD
2019: Kawhi
2020: Lebron
2021: Giannis
2022: Steph
2023: Jokic

2024: either Luka or Tatum

The most marginal names on that list would be Kawhi and possibly Tatum?

You need more than just one superstar and it helps if they aren’t 40, but winning without any would be something else entirely.

I think there’s a real possibility that the future continues to be heavily oriented around Giannis, Luka, Jokic too. With potential superstar futures from SGA or Anthony Edwards or Wemby…
When I say "dearth of superstars", I'm referring more to the marketing end. None of the current top-end guys move the needle there, for whatever reason(s).

Imo, winning has always been about having winning principles as @MtnWasp said.

I also agree with mtnw that getting production from guys on their rookie or initial deals is key.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
NBA has radically changed its rules to make building the 4-superstar team almost impossible and also basically undesirable.
With the first and second tax aprons as well as the trade clauses and loss of the mid-level exception if you sign three max players it basically guarantees that if you want to try to build a 3 superstar team that you have no ability take make trades, you lose your mid-level exception so you basically have the 3 guys and then everyone else is playing at league minimum.

You still need a superstar to win, its been something like 20 years since an NBA champion didn't have a 1st or 2nd team All-Star, but it has become more about having one or two stars and then trying to build the right depth and role players around them.