Coaching Carousel 8 - Teamwork means never taking all the blame yourself

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'll go opposite. I say fat-cat syndrome sets in and they actually disappoint.
Exactly…Kinda like UNC and those NIL $$ this season. LOL. FAU should get more/better talent but I just think it will be tough for them to replicate anything close to this season.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Exactly…Kinda like UNC and those NIL $$ this season. LOL. FAU should get more/better talent but I just think it will be tough for them to replicate anything close to this season.
Not sure I agree. Great place to go to school (beaches, bikinis, bars), getting National Attention (Final Four cinderella), only need a few stars and then seasoned roll-players...it's all about the coaching.

In college football and college basketball, the success of the program depends on the quality of the coach. Look at USC, Washington, Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, Tennessee, Florida, tOSU, Michigan...they are top of the heap while they have the best coaching...coach leaves or is fired...big fall off...get a high-quality coach back in...back to their winning ways. To me, college sports success starts and ends with the head coach.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Not sure I agree. Great place to go to school (beaches, bikinis, bars), getting National Attention (Final Four cinderella), only need a few stars and then seasoned roll-players...it's all about the coaching.

In college football and college basketball, the success of the program depends on the quality of the coach. Look at USC, Washington, Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, Tennessee, Florida, tOSU, Michigan...they are top of the heap while they have the best coaching...coach leaves or is fired...big fall off...get a high-quality coach back in...back to their winning ways. To me, college sports success starts and ends with the head coach.

To circle back to the original question or assertion, it was said there was a high chance that FAU would advance one round next season in the tourney. Pretty low bar but I still tend to think it's more likely they won't even do that next year.

I'm really hesitant to predict continued success at non-traditional powers, great coach or not.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
To circle back to the original question or assertion, it was said there was a high chance that FAU would advance one round next season in the tourney. Pretty low bar but I still tend to think it's more likely they won't even do that next year.

I'm really hesitant to predict continued success at non-traditional powers, great coach or not.
I understand this position. However, I think in basketball the midmajors are in position to make a real move into the winner's circle. I expect places like Richmond, JMU, Iona, Forham, Furman, Davidson, and many more midmajors to become repeat contenders because they can throw their resources into basketball. Schools like DePaul, GT, St. John's, Marquette, etc. that don't have football programs but do have alumni that want to see their school on the big stage over and over (a la Gonzaga), will put big dollars into their programs. The days of High Majors controlling basketball are numbered in my opinion.

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
The main benefit of NIL is that the more talented upper classman that were going to the nba draft are staying. I don't think it is shifting who has money to spend. An FAU or other mid major is not going to be able to fund both a top coach and NIL at the same level of the top bball programs, unless they find a big baller donor. This I think will lead to mid majors loosing an advantage they've had since players were trying to go to the nba early, stable rosters with mainly upper classmen. That allowed them to compete with the p5 schools. With NIL and no penalty for transfers, mid majors are going to lose both roster stability and talented upperclassman to p5 opportunities.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I understand this position. However, I think in basketball the midmajors are in position to make a real move into the winner's circle. I expect places like Richmond, JMU, Iona, Forham, Furman, Davidson, and many more midmajors to become repeat contenders because they can throw their resources into basketball. Schools like DePaul, GT, St. John's, Marquette, etc. that don't have football programs but do have alumni that want to see their school on the big stage over and over (a la Gonzaga), will put big dollars into their programs. The days of High Majors controlling basketball are numbered in my opinion.
The question is CUSA a one bid league or not. If yes then FAU could easily get upset in their conference tournament. If not then they have a good chance to win one NCAAT game.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

When you say beaches bikinis and bars I want to back off my number actually…

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer

And the sun will come up tomorrow. Betting on both of us.....

Camping Miami Heat GIF by Bryan Unger