Coaching Carousel 8 - Teamwork means never taking all the blame yourself

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Does this make Stanford the Georgia Tech of the West?

Maybe so. If Batt doesn't make an announcement today I believe Pastner will be here another year. Nothing has happened in the past week that should be the deciding factor, so Batt surely has all the information he needs to decide. Keeping the decision private is a disservice to Pastner and to Ga Tech.

Why? Here are my thoughts:

If Batt thinks Pastner is actually a good coach and has simply had a couple of years where things simply didn't work, another year is the right choice. You can argue that we could do better, but that is a roll of the dice.

If Batt believes the GT financial situation needs another year, he simply bites his lip and hangs in with Pastner. For now.

If Batt knows there is help coming in via transfers or assistant coaches and thinks Pastner has learned something this past February, he takes a chance that things will correct themselves.

If none of these apply, Batt already knows he will make a change and holding off only extends the pain.

PS: Boeheim has given Batt some cover, so announcing today will not upstage the ACC Tournament.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Screwed this format up. Interview with the guy who runs the Tech Way NIL site said we were on track to have the 3 million average amount for a P5 team but we were not there yet. It may be as simple as we need another year to get to the 3 million average level which Batt thinks he needs to recruit the guy he wants.
If Batt believes the GT financial situation needs another year, he simply bites his lip and hangs in with Pastner. For now.

slugboy

Staff member
Maybe so. If Batt doesn't make an announcement today I believe Pastner will be here another year. Nothing has happened in the past week that should be the deciding factor, so Batt surely has all the information he needs to decide. Keeping the decision private is a disservice to Pastner and to Ga Tech.

Why? Here are my thoughts:

If Batt thinks Pastner is actually a good coach and has simply had a couple of years where things simply didn't work, another year is the right choice. You can argue that we could do better, but that is a roll of the dice.

If Batt knows there is help coming in via transfers or assistant coaches and thinks Pastner has learned something this past February, he takes a chance that things will correct themselves.

If none of these apply, Batt already knows he will make a change and holding off only extends the pain.

PS: Boeheim has given Batt some cover, so announcing today will not upstage the ACC Tournament.
A Pastner announcement will not upstage the ACC Tournament. That's not a concern.

I'm sure that Batt is looking at a spreadsheet or a sheet of paper with some numbers on it, plus a count of pro/con boosters. If he has enough to make a good move, he moves. I don't think he does have enough.

But if Pastner stays, he's got some clear metrics. And he's not getting an extension.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
In reference to Mike Madden waiting to take over his alma mater.

I think this Georgetown list needs to be updated.

Rob Dauster & Randolph Childress discussing the GT job at the 1hr28min mark. They start discussing it, sidetrack and circle back to it, but I'd recommend watching the entirety to get lay of the land on the coaching carousel.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Screwed this format up. Interview with the guy who runs the Tech Way NIL site said we were on track to have the 3 million average amount for a P5 team but we were not there yet. It may be as simple as we need another year to get to the 3 million average level which Batt thinks he needs to recruit the guy he wants.
Thanks for the intel. Did they say how far off we were from $3M? Also, is that their goal or is it larger than that? Finally, is that $3M per year in NIL funds?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for the intel. Did they say how far off we were from $3M? Also, is that their goal or is it larger than that? Finally, is that $3M per year in NIL funds?
The comment was they are "well on their way" to the $3M goal. Not much beyond that. I would expect the goal is to keep a $3M war chest but I don't recall that being mentioned specifically.

As a speculation extension :), Batt just finished a coaching search without the NIL infrastructure in place and wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't want to do that again.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
The comment was they are "well on their way" to the $3M goal. Not much beyond that. I would expect the goal is to keep a $3M war chest but I don't recall that being mentioned specifically.

As a speculation extension :), Batt just finished a coaching search without the NIL infrastructure in place and wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't want to do that again.

He was talking about $3M in annual payouts to players in all sports. NIL isn't about building an endowment and distributing the interest. It is about taking annual contributions from corporate entities and individual contributions and distributing those tied to athlete contracts with various requirements.

The interesting part of that podcast for me is that he pointed out that all of their deals with athletes can be terminated without cause. I had suspected that but was interested in the confirmation.

I would bet a large sum that anytime you hear a dollar figure that sounds high it is because it is the sum total for a number of years and not in any way guaranteed, forget already received. This is how NFL contracts are presented by the media because that is how the agent wants them presented and the media gets more clicks.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Rob Dauster & Randolph Childress discussing the GT job at the 1hr28min mark. They start discussing it, sidetrack and circle back to it, but I'd recommend watching the entirety to get lay of the land on the coaching carousel.

A lot going on here. I'm gonna be a good teammate and not ask if Mike Madden is John Madden's nephew or did you mean Mark Madsen? :censored:;)

Anywhooo.. I'll bite the bullet and cliff note the GT stuff. Again, because I'm a good teammate ...

Both agree GT would be a big domino to fall (if opens).

Dauster says he's 'just waiting for someone to come in and get that thang (GT) rolling, but it just never happens. Not sure why. Childress says he's blown away by (1) the strict academic reqs and (2) no NIL money.

I was blown away by the comments re. Stackhouse. Said, despite the w/l record and no NCAAs, he's a high level coach based on what they're actually running. Not many ADs are knowledgeable enough to recognize that. Most AD's make CYA hires like hiring dudes "because he worked with coach K". Shots fired.

Back to GT, if you don't remedy 1 and 2 above, who's gonna take that job? You may as well hire some asst or a coach on his way out who'll just take your money as a retirement deal. (Ouch)

Mentioned Cal, Stanford, and ND have same problem. Doesn't matter who they hire. Elaborated on 1 by mentioning ND adjusts their meal time because kids can't miss class. Basically said the team eats too close to game time as a result - apparently that matters somehow, who knew? Said, no one does that not even high schools. A hidden detriment to the academic hurdle. Interesting listen.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
because I'm a good teammate ...

Proud Saved By The Bell GIF

Self awareness is an important trait.....

It was a nice write-up.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Talk about taking one for the team. I mightve thrown out my shoulder with all the patting myself on the back.
Ice it with some Mayfiel... ya know what. I'm gonna put the bullet back out of the chamber on this one. Appreciate the summary.

Also everytime I hear about an athletic program having to move things around academic requirements I see a tiny little dog being flip flopped by it's too large tail.

fun images GIF