Coaching Carousel 7 - When life gives you lemons, squirt someone in the eye

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Hayes has proven himself to be an excellent assistant coach and recruiter, especially locally. And he could be an excellent head coach. But there is way more to being a successful head coach than what he has been called on to do as an assistant. And there have been many (most, actually) excellent assistants that don't pan out when it is their turn to actually run a program. The skill set required to be a fine assistant is not necessarily the same as those required to be a successful head coach. I'm not saying he won't be all that, but I would give it a little time before I start quaking in my shoes. He is, after all, a first time head coach at a mid-major school..

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Hayes has proven himself to be an excellent assistant coach and recruiter, especially locally. And he could be an excellent head coach. But there is way more to being a successful head coach than what he has been called on to do as an assistant. And there have been many (most, actually) excellent assistants that don't pan out when it is their turn to actually run a program. The skill set required to be a fine assistant is not necessarily the same as those required to be a successful head coach. I'm not saying he won't be all that, but I would give it a little time before I start quaking in my shoes. He is, after all, a first time head coach at a mid-major school..

You don't have to be a wildly successful HC there to be a thorn in our side.

The point isn't that we should be afraid of GASt. The point is that us playing them helps them far more than it helps us. Especially now that they have a HC that can target the same or similar players that we do.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
I am far more worried about how the SEC programs have been recruiting against us. Hayes has been a thorn on the recruiting trail regardless of where he has been. He still has only 13 ships to give and is at a mid-major program with limited exposure. Could he build the next Butler under Stephens or Gonzaga at GASt? I guess. How likely is that?

I think there are larger issues (centering on educational values and operating budget) impacting recruiting at GT than Jonas Hayes coaching in town. GT can be a successful program whether or not GASt is a sleeping Giant. I don't see it as a zero sum game at all. Both programs can be successful.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Part of me says GSt should never worry me as a GT fan but the part of me that knows college basketball says we should be worried about this….
It's not the 1990's anymore. Mid Majors can be serious contenders year over year, see Gonzaga. I anticipate Hayes will make Ga St. more competitive than Lanier has, and that's already pretty good. The good thing is that I think it will be a springboard for Hayes, so I don't think he'll be there long.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
It's not the 1990's anymore. Mid Majors can be serious contenders year over year, see Gonzaga. I anticipate Hayes will make Ga St. more competitive than Lanier has, and that's already pretty good. The good thing is that I think it will be a springboard for Hayes, so I don't think he'll be there long.
If he does as he should at State and if Josh unfortunately cannot here, I wouldn’t mind us taking a serious look at Hayes if that time comes.
I know everyone hates the new coach talk while the current coach is here but it could potentially be something to watch for.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I am far more worried about how the SEC programs have been recruiting against us. Hayes has been a thorn on the recruiting trail regardless of where he has been. He still has only 13 ships to give and is at a mid-major program with limited exposure. Could he build the next Butler under Stephens or Gonzaga at GASt? I guess. How likely is that?

I think there are larger issues (centering on educational values and operating budget) impacting recruiting at GT than Jonas Hayes coaching in town. GT can be a successful program whether or not GASt is a sleeping Giant. I don't see it as a zero sum game at all. Both programs can be successful.

You do realize these are two different conversations, right?

And you do realize, just because someone points out that we have a GaSt problem, it doesn't mean they're suggesting the Panthers are now a1 on the radar, right?

I want us to be concerned about Duke and Carolina, not Ga State. This defeatist attitude is crazy.

I feel like y'all are reading something that no one's saying.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I'm less worried about Hayes as HC at State than he was as an assistant at UGA or Xavier in terms of recruiting. He doesnt get more to sell to a recruiting by being a head coach.

As far as turning state into the next Gonzaga the more realistic case is he has 3 or 4 good years and ends up at ole miss or something.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
If he does as he should at State and if Josh unfortunately cannot here, I wouldn’t mind us taking a serious look at Hayes if that time comes.
I know everyone hates the new coach talk while the current coach is here but it could potentially be something to watch for.
Agreed. He's a uga guy, but they passed him over. I don't know if he would come to GT or how that would play out politically, but I don't think he would leave GT for uga, ever, if he were here. Obviously, all this being said, we all want Josh to ramp it up a couple of levels and really return us to a perennial NCAA Tourney participant and beyond.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I want us to be concerned about Duke and Carolina, not Ga State. This defeatist attitude is crazy.

This. I think it's a homerun hire for GA State...but GT should never, I repeat NEVER, fear GA State. When we're at that stage it says more about GT than GA State.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
This. I think it's a homerun hire for GA State...but GT should never, I repeat NEVER, fear GA State. When we're at that stage it says more about GT than GA State.
I would have agreed in the 90's, but being a mid-major today isn't the same as then. Too many mid-majors are competing year after year for top-notch talent. Hayes could make Ga St. a real competitor in the Atlanta market. GT and uga certainly aren't putting up a fence around our territory and haven't for years.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm thinking about where GTMBB would be right now if Hewitt would have been a St. John's coach too. Probably in better shape (potentially in basketball and football) than where we are right now. Too bad.

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow
I dont think D Rad was the AD when Hewitt got the contract. St. Johns wanted him bad during GT's run to the final 4.
s