Coaching Carousel 7 - When life gives you lemons, squirt someone in the eye

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Pastner needs to go hard after Hayes. Clearly, uga is not going to bring him home.

If they're smart, UGA and Mike White back up the brinks truck and get Hayes home with an Senior Assistant Head Coach position. Of course, Mike White probably knows everyone outside of the decision makers wanted Hayes as the HC, so there's also looking at your possible replacement sitting next to you every day thing going on that would give White hesitancy with that scenario.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
A lot changes in a year. Last year, Pastner was fielding some calls about possibly leaving GT for other jobs after our ACC win and tourney appearance. This year with all the jobs opening? Crickets.

GT fans get a bit sensitive when we have a good coach (in any sport) involved in the rumor mill, but that's a sign that your coach is doing a good job. Any coach with success will always be involved with job opening rumors...and that's a good thing.

techdad02

Georgia Tech Fan
I agree with this. He'll be better than Crean (of course it would be hard for anyone not to be), possibly better than Fox, but not a monster hire.
Their AD likely made alot of the UGA bb fans unhappy though that he didn't hire Hayes. He was getting alot of push from fans and former players.
What do you think happen with Hayes?

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
The Mike White to UGA hire makes perfect sense to me. Football is the goose that lays the golden eggs there and really all that they want out of basketball is for the program not to embarrass the institution. They probably don't want to dive into the fray to compete with the top of the conference because they could be looking at a situation like that LSU finds itself in right now. The top of the SEC is as slimy as it gets (short of Arizona) right now. UGA doesn't need it with the current status of football.

So, they went super safe. I actually think it is a good move for them. White is decidedly better than Crean and can recruit okay. He should not embarrass that University and may do rather well if not win conference championships.

Reminds me of the Danny DeVito dark comedy movie, "Death To Smoochy" where the child TV show actor "Rainbow Randolph" (Robin Williams) gets busted for extorting parents and is replaced by the squeaky clean "Smoochy The Rhino" (Edward Norton) because the network executive doesn't want any more embarrassment. "Squeaky effing CLEAN" is the order. Crean is definitely a Rainbow Randolph.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Dang, Frank. Shoulda went to Athens before White did.

So who's gonna take S Carolina before gettin the ax? Howland?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There is going to be some SEC football money being thrown around at BB coaches this spring.

It still makes me chuckle to think that UGA is going to buy out Crean - whose buyout goes from $7.2MM to $3.2MM this offseason and pay FL Mike White's $1.25MM buyout to switch jobs.

Also, they supposedly did not post the proper paperwork 1 week (supposedly he was supposed to be notified 1 week before firing in writing) before firing Crean so Crean's lawyer may be able to squeeze a little more money out of them than the $3.2MM.