Coaching Carousel 7 - When life gives you lemons, squirt someone in the eye

TooTall

Helluva Engineer

Man, I do feel sorry for Directional Mid-West State. They are gonna be hammered by the NCAA.

All joking aside, I feel the NCAA is on trial with this one. Uncheat was able to lawyer loophole their way out. This seems hopless for Wade, and I'm kinda glad. BUT the NCAA cannot afford to let this pass by gently. Lifetime ban for both the coaches will send a strong message. As would 2 years of half a conference schedule. No postseason tournaments, preseason tournaments or the vacation tournaments at Thanksgiving and Christmas. And if they can get the $ec on board, no conference TV money payout. Hit 'em in the wallet and make an example out of them.

Or just let them off with a 1 year postseason ban (already served) and 2 scholarship reductions for 2 years. Next!

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My updated assessment of the ACC head basketball coaches:

Boston College Eagles Earl Grant 2021- Safe
Clemson Tigers Brad Brownell 2010-? The last 5 games may have saved his job, but disappointing season; probably on the hot seat next season
Duke Blue Devils Mike Krzyzewski 1980-2022 Retiring; Jon Scheyer replacing K
Florida State Seminoles Leonard Hamilton 2002-? Disappointing season, could he/should he retire now? losing by 40 to Cuse hurts
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets Josh Pastner 2016- Safe, for now; needs improvement
Louisville Cardinals Mike Pegues (int.) 2022-? Who will be the next coach? The clock is ticking
Miami Hurricanes Jim Larrañaga 2011- Very safe, but when will he retire?
NC State Wolfpack Kevin Keatts 2017-? Could he be on a hot seat? Lot's of rumors in NC about Keatts
North Carolina Tar Heels Hubert Davis 2021- Spotty season, but OK
Notre Dame Fighting Irish Mike Brey 2000- Safe
Pittsburgh Panthers Jeff Capel III 2018-? Very hot seat Safe for one more season
Syracuse Orange Jim Boeheim 1976-? Has to be on a retirement watch list Don't expect any announcement until after March Madness
Virginia Cavaliers Tony Bennett 2009- Safe
Virginia Tech Hokies Mike Young 2019- Safe
Wake Forest Demon Deacons Steve Forbes 2020- Very safe
I think you have this basically right. My main thought is that the ACC is headed for an extended down period due to relatively poor coaching hires and late career downsides.

BC - Grant is an upgrade over their 2 previous coaches but a tough place to win.
Clemson - Brownell is a solid coach, nothing more, nothing less. I agree he is likely on a hot seat next year.
Duke - One of Premier jobs and they hand it to a coach with no HC experience, 'The Brotherhood' is more important than getting the best coach.
FSU - Injuries hurt them this season. Worst year in 7 seasons. How many years more does the 73 yr old want to go.
GT - Pastner is a solid coach. Nothing more, nothing less. Likely safe for 2 years.
L'ville - another premier job. Who will they hire?
Miami - Larranaga is a fantastic coach who is 72 years old. First winning season in 4 years. Had great luck with transfers this season but loses most of the team. Likely to retire in 2-3 years after getting extension to 25-26 season this week..
NC ST - Keatts on an extreme hot seat heading into year 6. Lots of rumors that players might leave.
UNC - Premier job handed to a coach with no HC experience because having a UNC guy was more important than getting the best coach. I think at least one of Duke or UNC is looking for a new HC within 4 years.
Pitt - Capel on extreme hot seat heading into year 5. Has had 6 straight losing seasons as a HC. Like GT has no signees for next season. He also threw shade on his current players.
Syracuse - Boeheim is 78 this fall, looking like late career Bobby Bowden. Whether Syracuse can finish above .500 overall likely depends upon whether they can convince Swider to come back for one more year. Like UNC and Duke the HC will have a huge say in successor and they may ultimately hire an asst with no HC Experience.
UVA - Bennett needs to rebuild his program some but is extremely safe.
VT - Very impressive first 2 years by Mike Young. Local guy that will retire at VT and coach there for the next decade.
Wake - Impressive 2nd year using transfers (6 of top 7 players are transfers). Could see a big dropoff though unless he is really successful in the portal again.

Keatts and Capel are on the hottest seats followed by Brownell. Would not be surprised to see Boeheim leave after next season.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Good analysis. With Duke - the question is why? I think it's because they're dirty and they need to keep their secrets...

/
I think both schools have more than their share of dirty linen, but I doubt keeping secrets had anything to do with either choice. For a long time UNC has picked their coaches from the fruit of their own tree. K was at Duke so long it seems he may have planted the tree. It has been assumed for years that one of K's players would take over. None of this is really newsworthy.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
A general rule of thumb is that when things are going well, you promote from within to preserve continuity. When things are not going well, you recruit from outside. But there were coaches from the K tree with head coaching experience, so I think Scheyer was being groomed the whole time.

What are the chances that any coach can perform at K's level? Hubert Davis is off to a pretty good start, eh? Better than, say, Matt Doherty did....

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Keep in mind that Doherty was the follow up to Guthridge.

Also, I don't think either asst was hired to coverup any sins of the program.
The one part I can understand with hiring internally is that many coaches do not want to be the coach that follows the legend, that tends to be an uncomfortable place to be. Much better to be the coach that follows the coach that followed the legend.

The L'ville hire will be interesting to follow as that is arguably the best job on the market right now.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
LSU is hoping that its self penalties that it imposed in 2020 - one year bowl ban, reduced 8 scholarships over 2 years, fewer recruiting visits will be taken and nothing further added to the football program. We'll see.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
It's interesting how the NCAA takes so long to enforce violations and the kids that are now on the teams are penalized and often the coaches just move on somewhere else. The way to stop a lot of it is to not allow coaches to continue at any NCAA school. Kids who take impermissible benefits are put on suspension and cannot play but allowed to stay on scholarship. Most of the schools that got caught are turned in by kids that took some benefit during recruiting and then went somewhere else. The parents sometimes shop the 5* can't miss kids-e.g. Smith at NCSU and Newton at Auburn .

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It's interesting how the NCAA takes so long to enforce violations and the kids that are now on the teams are penalized and often the coaches just move on somewhere else. The way to stop a lot of it is to not allow coaches to continue at any NCAA school. Kids who take impermissible benefits are put on suspension and cannot play but allowed to stay on scholarship. Most of the schools that got caught are turned in by kids that took some benefit during recruiting and then went somewhere else. The parents sometimes shop the 5* can't miss kids-e.g. Smith at NCSU and Newton at Auburn .
Wendell Carter's mom at dook