Coaching Carousel 7 - When life gives you lemons, squirt someone in the eye

slugboy

Staff member
I mean, you can stroke a check if you want. It better have a lotta commas.
It’s not just that (but that’s big for us). Money isn’t everything, but a too little money can ruin most anything. We’re short on money.

I grew up in Atlanta. I’ve watched local teams fire coaches and bring in new coaches. Repeatedly. What a team loses, the answer is “fire the coach”. Then we get the same record. Sometimes worse.

I watch this happen across all towns and all pro and NCAA sports.

If you have a bad coach, then fire them. Most coaches aren’t bad. No coaches are perfect. Most have strengths to support and bolster and weaknesses to compensate for.

Many of these firings are as much a reflection on the school as they are on the coach. Some are even more so.

Pastner could be a really good to great coach for us, but he needs some operational support. Fan support would help too. Other coaches need support structures too—just different kinds of support.

If Stansbury had given Pastner the support that he’s given Collins, what do you think our recruiting would be like?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It’s not just that (but that’s big for us). Money isn’t everything, but a too little money can ruin most anything. We’re short on money.

I grew up in Atlanta. I’ve watched local teams fire coaches and bring in new coaches. Repeatedly. What a team loses, the answer is “fire the coach”. Then we get the same record. Sometimes worse.

If you have a bad coach, then fire them. Most coaches aren’t bad. No coaches are perfect. Most have strengths to support and bolster and weaknesses to compensate for.

Many of these firings are as much a reflection on the school as they are on the coach. Some are even more so.

Pastner could be a really good to great coach for us, but he needs some operational support. Fan support would help too. Other coaches need support structures too—just different kinds of support.

If Stansbury had given Pastner the support that he’s given Collins, what do you think our recruiting would be like?
Besides more resources needing to be injected in to GTMBB, Pastner needs to ask for them.

He tends to not want to rock the boat.

slugboy

Staff member
Besides more resources needing to be injected in to GTMBB, Pastner needs to ask for them.

He tends to not want to rock the boat.
I've defended a lot of Stansbury actions, but I typically see leaders and managers put the funding where they're getting more results. Pastner should ask, but after the last few seasons Stansbury should have reallocated funds without having to be asked.

I think Nell has gotten a little more funding too, but a politically savvy AD would get in a lot more photos with his winning coaches.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
@slugboy I hear you and let me clarify my 'stroke a check' comment. I tend to think most of the folks here wanting a firing don't acknowledge the reason(s) it's not tenable.

I'm no longer in the fire-CJP wagon, but I do tend to think we could benefit from a new direction. My stance is I don't want us to do anything until we're ready. Actually ready.

alagold

Helluva Engineer

I believe Pastner shot HIMSELF in the foot by BAD decisions 3 ? yrs ago with the two huge debacles around the asst coach and his CRAZY "friend" that got us on probation. That period KILLED his ability to get ahead in the recruiting game as many thought he was gone then..Talent is lifeblood and he got squat for 2 yrs esp bigs..Now he has little size and mostly youth.He sure isn't that good a game coach to get out of that. See THIS yr --and next. obtw-Tstan was so foolish he actually used JP as an example of a "successful" program this yr.. Serious ignorance..

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I know it's dt's job to do these, but I couldn't resist this one ...

I'm here for all that snark in the p.s.