Coaching Carousel 7 - When life gives you lemons, squirt someone in the eye

TheStolenT

Jolly Good Fellow
UAB fired a good coach to hire Kennedy, a UAB alum.

1) That would be ****ed up if he left after they did that for him.

2) I now hope UGA hires Andy Kennedy.
This is a pretty terrible take for someone usually pretty well versed in college hoops (I lurk). UAB fired a half assed ill prepared coach who wanted to be best friends with all his players (sound familiar) bc the outgoing coach wanted it, and UAB paid for it with soft underachieving teams. Kennedy came in and changed the culture, upgraded the roster and turned it around very quick. I’m not sure we want UGA to hire someone who can do that, quickly, at a school with low budget low fan turnout (albeit with a better last 20 years than either gt/UGA) and turns out a hard nosed squad.

I’ll be honest, if uab traded head coaches with gt in bball and football, I think we’d be happy with the results

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
It’s official in Athens

Crean getting hired made me happy for the future direction of the dwag program and it brought a smile to see his program success (38.5% win rate) result in his exit. What are the chances the next dog of a hire will bring such joy throughout the tenure?
THWG

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Crean getting hired made me happy for the future direction of the dwag program and it brought a smile to see his program success (38.5% win rate) result in his exit. What are the chances the next dog of a hire will bring such joy throughout the tenure?
THWG
How about when he went 2-1 against our good ole buddy pal Josh? Including a win in Atlanta. Crean had a winning record against 3 teams while he was at Georgia: Vandy, Memphis, and GT. Not so sure I’d be rejoicing about anything going on in Athens given the state of Tech’s program right now

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is a pretty terrible take for someone usually pretty well versed in college hoops (I lurk). UAB fired a half assed ill prepared coach who wanted to be best friends with all his players (sound familiar) bc the outgoing coach wanted it, and UAB paid for it with soft underachieving teams. Kennedy came in and changed the culture, upgraded the roster and turned it around very quick. I’m not sure we want UGA to hire someone who can do that, quickly, at a school with low budget low fan turnout (albeit with a better last 20 years than either gt/UGA) and turns out a hard nosed squad.

I’ll be honest, if uab traded head coaches with gt in bball and football, I think we’d be happy with the results
UAB had a winning coach. They fired him to immediately hire Kennedy. Fair point that I'm not well versed enough in the situation. I"ll own that.

My points are that it would be pretty messed up, on Kennedy's part, if he left UAB after they did that for him, and that I don't think he'd set the local hoops recruiting scene on fire the way Hayes, Gates, or a couple of other candidates would, which I think leaves him set up to be lesser than Auburn, Alabama, LSU, etc.

Net net - I don't think UGA progresses under Kennedy or gets the fan base fired up, therefore I'd be OK seeing him be the pick (although my comment was a bit tongue in cheek).

You might get a better coach, but I'm not sure you get the results they seek, ultimately.

TheStolenT

Jolly Good Fellow
UAB had a winning coach. They fired him to immediately hire Kennedy. Fair point that I'm not well versed enough in the situation. I"ll own that.

My points are that it would be pretty messed up, on Kennedy's part, if he left UAB after they did that for him, and that I don't think he'd set the local hoops recruiting scene on fire the way Hayes, Gates, or a couple of other candidates would, which I think leaves him set up to be lesser than Auburn, Alabama, LSU, etc.

Net net - I don't think UGA progresses under Kennedy or gets the fan base fired up, therefore I'd be OK seeing him be the pick (although my comment was a bit tongue in cheek).

You might get a better coach, but I'm not sure you get the results they seek, ultimately.
Yeah, I agree with you there. Personally I think Kennedy had enough of the Sec nonsense at ole miss where he won consistently and was a victim of his own success. Hopefully he’s home and hes happy. But millions might change anybodies mind.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yeah, I agree with you there. Personally I think Kennedy had enough of the Sec nonsense at ole miss where he won consistently and was a victim of his own success. Hopefully he’s home and hes happy. But millions might change anybodies mind.
He's a solid coach at P5 level, but he's probably got a chance for more happiness at UAB.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
How in the natural f could anyone see what transpired at uga and come away thinking that's a coach you want to bring in?