Coaching Carousel 7 - When life gives you lemons, squirt someone in the eye

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
So much about collegiate athletics indicts the general populace: greed, selfishness, entitlement, irresponsibility, fraud, cheating, blaming, et al. Way to go folks.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Maybe he lykes Pittsburgh. ;)
Surprised Jeff Goldblum GIF by AbsoluteRadio

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My updated assessment of the ACC head basketball coaches:

Boston College Eagles Earl Grant 2021- Safe
Clemson Tigers Brad Brownell 2010-? The last 5 games may have saved his job, but disappointing season; probably on the hot seat next season
Duke Blue Devils Mike Krzyzewski 1980-2022 Retiring; Jon Scheyer replacing K
Florida State Seminoles Leonard Hamilton 2002-? Disappointing season, could he/should he retire now? losing by 40 to Cuse hurts
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets Josh Pastner 2016- Safe, for now; needs improvement
Louisville Cardinals Mike Pegues (int.) 2022-? Who will be the next coach? The clock is ticking
Miami Hurricanes Jim Larrañaga 2011- Very safe, but when will he retire?
NC State Wolfpack Kevin Keatts 2017-? Could he be on a hot seat? Lot's of rumors in NC about Keatts
North Carolina Tar Heels Hubert Davis 2021- Spotty season, but OK
Notre Dame Fighting Irish Mike Brey 2000- Safe
Pittsburgh Panthers Jeff Capel III 2018-? Very hot seat Safe for one more season
Syracuse Orange Jim Boeheim 1976-? Has to be on a retirement watch list Don't expect any announcement until after March Madness
Virginia Cavaliers Tony Bennett 2009- Safe
Virginia Tech Hokies Mike Young 2019- Safe
Wake Forest Demon Deacons Steve Forbes 2020- Very safe

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
That Drew story illustrates everything I HATE about sports journalism nowadays.

Yes, the crux of they story (that they called and he didn't immediately dismiss the idea), is probably 100% true.

But the writer is clearly intimating that there's a chance he'll go there, which is quite unlikely for a number of reasons.

But all the writer wants is the clicks that come from intimating there's a chance.

It's totally disingenuous.

And so ends my rant.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
God I hope Wade gets a 10 year show clause and ****s off to the NBA or something.

Also would love to add Alex Fudge to give us another potential option at the 4 spot.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just heard an interesting tidbit on ESPN that reiterates one of the Jeff Goodman tweets. His contract was redone in a way that this is a firing for cause, so LSU has no buyout to pay. That's tremendous to save on for the next staff.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I bet Wade ends up with a show cause. He's going to be out of college coaching for a while.
Pretty clear that LSU wanted to wait for the notice so they could fire him with cause.
The only issue LSU will have is that any coach coming in does not know what the NCAA will ultimately due to the school in terms of sanctions. How many scholarships, how many NCAA Tourney's.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Color me surprised. I thought LSU would stand by Wade through anything and they’d fight the man.
The cards must look really bad if they’re folding

Yeah they let him drift waaay out to sea before cutting the tow line.

Not sure if it's savvy or happenstance. Guess, if the AD survives, we'll know which it is.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
To me it is now obvious they were going to let this play out until they received the letter to see how bad they were going to get hit (and more importantly would it be covered in his contract where they could fire him without paying him).

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Good article on the allegations. gives a little review of the charges.

Wade was directly cited for 5 Level 1 violations, unethical conduct, and obstruction of an investigation
LSU was cited for a total of 8 level 1 violations (this includes football allegations that were also included in the letter)
LSU was also cited for lack of institutional control for the last 8 years.

Like Goodman said I can't see any established coach taking that job without knowing what the sanctions are going to be and that could be another 6 months yet.