Coaching Carousel 6 - You can't make everyone happy. You are not bacon.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pretty correct take on VCU, to be honest.
And that is something you have to think about if you hire a coach from VCU. Is the success more due to the coach or more due to the school.

Every coach at VCU has had a winning record, all 12. VCU has a .650 winning percentage all time.
The last 4 coaches to leave are Jeff Capel, Anthony Grant, Shaka Smart and Wil Wade. All got big time jobs. All had mixed success at the power conference schools.

All 4 had flashes of success at the P5 level but none have been able to sustain it. That may have more to say about how hard it is to build and sustain a winning program that makes and wins NCAA Tourney games on a regular basis than about their overall competence as coaches. College basketball is not like college football where if you go .500 you will play in the postseason.

I think Marquette is a better fit for Smart than TX was. I believe he will do better there than TX, but how much better will be the key for both him and ultimately the Marquette fans.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Pretty bad take on VCU, to be honest.
Pretty correct take on VCU, to be honest.
Actually, I think you are wrong both times. Shaka won 19-21 games five of his six seasons at Texas and was on the hot seat because his NCAA Tournament record is not up to their expectations. Tom Pender and Rick Barnes set the expectations bar at a level that Smart could not meet in this era of Big 12 basketball.

If you are going to say the expectations for basketball at Texas do not match what their fans expect from the football team, I will agree 100%.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Actually, I think you are wrong both times. Shaka won 19-21 games five of his six seasons at Texas and was on the hot seat because his NCAA Tournament record is not up to their expectations. Tom Pender and Rick Barnes set the expectations bar at a level that Smart could not meet in this era of Big 12 basketball.

If you are going to say the expectations for basketball at Texas do not match what their fans expect from the football team, I will agree 100%.
Shaka was a sensation at VCU because their expectations, and also those of the media, were much lower than what UT supporters will tolerate long term. I am not sure it will be much better at Marquette, but it also won't be the Big 12 schedule. He could be much more comfortable there.

You had a take about VCU. It was incorrect, possibly wildly incorrect.

VCU is a basketball only school with a rabid fan base, sell-out crowds, and resources that might exceed what we provide for GT hoops. They had really good success with previous coaches and have had reasonable success after Shaka. It's a program built to win the A10 and get in to the Dance to post 1+ wins there on a regular basis.

VCU is more likely to have higher expectations than Texas for basketball because it's the only game in town. To call their expectations much lower is an incorrect take.

The whole point of taking the job at Texas is the lack of pressure due to football being the primary focus there, while having huge resources at your disposal.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
You had a take about VCU. It was incorrect, possibly wildly incorrect.

VCU is a basketball only school with a rabid fan base, sell-out crowds, and resources that might exceed what we provide for GT hoops. They had really good success with previous coaches and have had reasonable success after Shaka. It's a program built to win the A10 and get in to the Dance to post 1+ wins there on a regular basis.

VCU is more likely to have higher expectations than Texas for basketball because it's the only game in town. To call their expectations much lower is an incorrect take.

The whole point of taking the job at Texas is the lack of pressure due to football being the primary focus there, while having huge resources at your disposal.

VCU's $35M athletic budget is subsidized by a whopping $21M in student fees. Just an FYI.

You are correct about the expectations.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We'll have to see how it ends, but it feels like a donor stepping up to get rid of Miller has not really been a positive for IN. I don't think they were planning to get rid of Miller this year and I don't think they really had a plan ready to go to deal with it.

With the way the dominoes have fallen so far things have sort of worked against them.

Sort of be careful what you wish for. Don't take that money and make a change unless you have a plan ready for the change to be better than the current situation.

Alot of times fans think change in and of itself is a good thing, it is not. It is only a good thing if you have a plan and the resources in place to make a positive change. Things can always be worse, always.

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
Listening to the Eye on College Basketball podcast Gary Parrish mentioned CJP as a down the list( you don't get one your top guys) type candidate for the Texas job

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Listening to the Eye on College Basketball podcast Gary Parrish mentioned CJP as a down the list( you don't get one your top guys) type candidate for the Texas job
He’s from Texas so I get the connection but as great of a job he did this year, id be shocked if he were a serious candidate for any power conference opening. Now if he get most or all of everyone back next year and we have a deep run then I can see it. What will put him in discussion for those types for sure will be what he does the season when Jose, Mike and the guys aren’t here! Make a tournament trip then and he’s a hot commodity.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
With us down to 4 teams left playing after today i think we can expect the coaching hires to pick up in the next week at the big name schools as they likely get to interview candidates they have been waiting on.

Do we see any high major coaches change jobs this week opening other high major jobs.

one other note. I've seen multiple stories over the last couple of months about alot of college coaches being quite annoyed that both Wil Wade and Sean Miller still have jobs. Even though they have jobs today, that doesn't mean they will have jobs long term. Miller has one year left on his contract at AZ and reportedly AZ is not planning on extending that contract this offseason. There is alot of whispering that both schools are sort of waiting for the sanctions to come down and once they do, that is when a change will be made. They want to see how bad they get hit and also potentially use those sanctions as ways to fire the coaches without any buyouts (or in the case of Miller, simply let his contract run out).