Coaching Carousel 6 - You can't make everyone happy. You are not bacon.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
With us down to 4 teams left playing after today i think we can expect the coaching hires to pick up in the next week at the big name schools as they likely get to interview candidates they have been waiting on.

Do we see any high major coaches change jobs this week opening other high major jobs.

one other note. I've seen multiple stories over the last couple of months about alot of college coaches being quite annoyed that both Wil Wade and Sean Miller still have jobs. Even though they have jobs today, that doesn't mean they will have jobs long term. Miller has one year left on his contract at AZ and reportedly AZ is not planning on extending that contract this offseason. There is alot of whispering that both schools are sort of waiting for the sanctions to come down and once they do, that is when a change will be made. They want to see how bad they get hit and also potentially use those sanctions as ways to fire the coaches without any buyouts (or in the case of Miller, simply let his contract run out).
The word on Miller is that their biggest money boosters are fans, so it's a balancing act.

hotpocketsyum

Georgia Tech Fan
Gonna be interesting to see where hes gonna end up

Moser later was asked specifically about whether he’d have any interest in the Indiana vacancy.

“I need to digest this,” Moser said. “I’ve had my blinders on and given 100 percent of Porter Moser to this Rambler team. I’ve blocked out the noise. I need time to digest this with these guys. That’s all I can tell you right now. I have blinders on.

slugboy

Staff member

Scared Dog GIF

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
I had to look him up, which shows how much I follow the NBA. He'll have to lean heavily on experienced college assistants and recruiters to make that work. Seems risky.
(Edit: Ahh, hiring Matta to hold his hand makes sense)

That Indiana job seems to be where coaches go to hurt their careers....

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I actually like that hire for them. Probably helps I don't care if it works out for them or not, but it's more interesting than a lot of the other situations that could have happened.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I wonder how that affects the Ohio State buyout for Matta

Because Matta can’t physically hold up to the task
I don't know anything more than what's public, but health issues can be made worse by stress and overwork. It will be interesting to watch the situation evolve.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So basically IN looks like it is going to coach by committee a little.

NBA coaches succeeding in college is a mixed bag at best. Honestly, really only Juwan Howard has succeeded well at this point,
He will need a couple of good recruiters on staff, but coming from the NBA will be a positive recruiting point to start with.

Coaching college kids is really different than coaching NBA players. NBA players it is their profession, you can basically practice them as much as you want when you want. In college you are limited to how many hours a week you get to see them. It's just a different game to play.

Milwaukee

Banned
So basically IN looks like it is going to coach by committee a little.

NBA coaches succeeding in college is a mixed bag at best. Honestly, really only Juwan Howard has succeeded well at this point,
He will need a couple of good recruiters on staff, but coming from the NBA will be a positive recruiting point to start with.

Coaching college kids is really different than coaching NBA players. NBA players it is their profession, you can basically practice them as much as you want when you want. In college you are limited to how many hours a week you get to see them. It's just a different game to play.
Larry Brown says hello. Nuggets, Nets, then Kansas, then back to an NBA successful career.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just looking at this, I didn't realize how old Woodson is - he's 63 years old. He's a decade older than Matta.

So it sounds to me like Matta handles alot of the behind the scenes stuff of running a program (hence his title) and allow Woodson to concentrate mainly on coaching.