Coaching Carousel 6 - You can't make everyone happy. You are not bacon.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
This is true. We had a few who basically used us for leverage for other jobs. Remember we had a team that had lost a ton of experience from Gregory's last season and most people thought we did not have much talent coming back. The incoming recruiting class was unimpressive. That is why some picked us to not win a single ACC game. Anyone who says we are in a worse position than when Pastner was hired is delusional.
It’s sad if true cause GT should be
A consistent threat in b-ball

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I agree that by the end of last season the team was playing at the level of a middle seed NCAAT team. But early season problems would have tanked any chance for an NCAAT bid.

When GT had nine consecutive NCAAT bids, the ACC had 8 teams. There were 29 conferences and each conference averaged 8 teams and mid-major programs were rarely seriously competitive with high major programs.

Today, there are 33 conferences averaging a little under 11 teams per conference. With the emergence of the AAU industry, there are more impactful players being produced and with the TV money, many Mid-Major schools have invested in their basketball programs to cash in on the honeypot. There are more (more than 50 more!) teams in serious competition for NCAAT bids.

The result is talent and coaching parity that is not only saturating the Power-5 level but well into the Mid-Major level as well. The result is that Power-5 conferences not only have more teams in them now than in days gone by, but the NCAAT selection panel is not dipping as deep into those Power conferences. So, in a 15 team conference noted for parity and only 4 teams highly likely to get a bid, from a purely probabilistic perspective, getting a bid is far less likely than it used to be. Sure, there are still a few Blue Chip programs that dominate, but those programs have budget and pay coaches in amounts that we can't sniff.

For the great majority of programs, competition for NCAAT bids has grown, which means that a coach can put a good team on the floor and coach them quite well and pivotal wins and losses can come down to things outside a coach's control like injuries, an official's call or luck.

I would conclude that applying the standard that a particular coach HAS to make the NCAAT in any one given year is rather arbitrary and self-defeating.

Anyway, who knows if there is going to be a season this year let alone an NCAAT. And even if there is one and we don't make it, where is the money going to come from to make changes?

The point being, thinking about changing coaches at the dawn of a highly uncertain but nevertheless promising season seems more than a little twisted to me.
Ok, fair point. But I think being in the talks for a bid every year should be a requirement at least.

How about this for this year. Don’t start the season 0-4...beat Kentucky and Nebraska and then we can look past this crap start. 0-4 essentially eliminates us from the conversation before it even starts!

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely the worst coached game I’ve ever watched. Pastner is an embarrassment.
Well what do you expect? He’s got them practicing plays on NCAA Basketball for PlayStation to get ready for games instead of practicing full contact! To make matters worse, it’s PS3 with one of Hewitt’s bad teams since EA sports hasn’t made a game in 8 years! We are doomed! 😂

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
This team should be much better than what it has shown so far. The core players from last year with the exception of Banks are back. We are struggling on offense and horrible on defense. The offense appears to be based on dribble drives into a double team down low and not able to finish among the trees. Moses likes to shoot 3's but leaves no one to rebound. He is not a true center which we need to develop real fast. There was no reason to lose to GSU with the number of FT's shot. A decent percentage wins that game. No excuse for not practicing that part of the game. That is done alone outside of team practice. My HS team required we shoot 100FT's each practice. Won a state championship. Jose is money there but his only miss would have probably sealed the game. Mercer took our D apart. Spread us out and hit their 3's or got the ball on the baseline for easy scores.
Mercer was much better coached than we were and that is a patched together team. They really shot it well last night. I wonder if we had swapped coaches who would have won. Unless we change our O we will struggle all year. Mercer was hot from outside last night so can they keep that up? Will see. That was a sound beat down last night. They deserved to win.