Coaching Carousel 6 - You can't make everyone happy. You are not bacon.

Jacket Forever

Jolly Good Fellow
While I tend to agree, wouldn't you switch coaches with GSU straight up right now if it was possible.
Nope. After one 4 OT 120 point game that Pastner losses by 3? No way. Lol, let's at least get blown out a couple of times before we trade Pastner. Also, I am not sure Lanier can recruit to Tech with its more narrow curriculum better than he can recruit yo GSU. One last time, lest we forget, Pastner finished Fifth in the ACC last season. No easy feat at all. That buys him some patience on my book.

GTsports1819

Georgia Tech Fan
Lot of silliness on display here. Yeah, I did not and do not like losing to anyone but, my gawd, can we at least wait until we've played five or six games before we panic and conclude that it's time for Pastner to go? For one thing, we tend to underrate GSU. Huge mistake. I've never wanted go play them. Pastner himself wasn't fired up about playing them on the almost spur-of-the-moment basis in the 'Season of Covid'. Second, there was a good amount of sloppy play but after all this was the first game of a season with shortened 'training camp' ...and we lost by three in a 4 OT game. Also remember that we finished FIFTH in the ACC last year after a bit of a rough start. I suspect that we'll be just fine in 2020-2021 and a tournament team, but even if I'm wrong seems to me we owe it to our program to at least be reasonabl. Suggesting that the sky is falling after a 4OT game one in which we scored 120 and lose by three is not being reasonable. Let's grow up a bit...and I'm not just talking about the Jackets on the floor.
Re-read the posts. I’m not sure if you’re trying to refer to me, but I literally said it’s way too early to pass judgement on this season, and I still back this team 100%. I think there’s a lot of potential. But clearly we have a lot of work to do.

And by the way, we should not fear playing GSU. That’s part of the problem here. We expect to make the tournament, but worry about GSU? Come on. They’re a decent team and may make the tourney, but give me a break. We are in the ACC. We are supposed to play teams equally as good or better than GSU regularly. At some point we have to be able to beat teams like GSU to make the NCAAT ourselves. As a previous poster said, it’s only a worrisome game if we don’t come in ready for a competitive game and ready to take care of business (definitely more times than not at least, if we expect to make the tournament)

Last edited:

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If some of the info about him wanting to leave is true then if he can have one good season he may leave on his own. Personally I am neutral on pastner but I do want GT to be successful so I do support him as long as he is here. It does seem like we are always one really good player away from having a complete team. We sure did miss Banks last night.
Where did you hear that?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
... Maybe it's just that .... or it could be he's found an environment that enables him to abuse people and he didn't want to disrupt that by going to a place that may not put up with it?...
There you go, right there. I have always admired the restraint of athletes who, clearly abused by coaches, have not responded with a punch in the mouth. Lastly, has there ever been a season that Georgia Tech basketball was not in the dumpster?

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If some of the info about him wanting to leave is true then if he can have one good season he may leave on his own. Personally I am neutral on pastner but I do want GT to be successful so I do support him as long as he is here. It does seem like we are always one really good player away from having a complete team. We sure did miss Banks last night.

I agree. If Pastner chose to leave, we might even get a small buyout of his contract. The Ron Bell affair displayed some awful judgment and decision making on Pastner’s part. Hopefully he has learned from his mistakes.

If Pastner choses to stay, I hope his coaching/ recruiting abilities continue to improve. This would be a winning path for both Georgia Tech and Coach Pastner.

slugboy

Staff member
I agree. If Pastner chose to leave, we might even get a small buyout of his contract.
I can only see that happening if he suddenly catches fire and becomes a hot coaching commodity. I’m not a betting man, but I would expect long odds on a prop bet for the GTAA getting paid on a Pastner departure. I don’t see a Pastner departure anytime soon, anyway.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Where did you hear that?
There is literally one guy claiming he knows something. I’m sure Pastner figured he needed out at Memphis and Tech could set him up to get to the big time but think he’s pretty much blown that. If would take 2-3 really good years back to back to make him
a hot commodity imo unless he wants an assistant job in the NBA.

Milwaukee

Banned
Slush fund was spent on football coaching change and I doubt this covid year has allowed us to replenish it.
I don’t think that’s the case and I hope I’m wrong and you’re right. But we only went up around 390k in total coaching staff with the Collins and staff hires. God help us if that’s our slush fund 😂

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think that’s the case and I hope I’m wrong and you’re right. But we only went up around 390k in total coaching staff with the Collins and staff hires. God help us if that’s our slush fund 😂

Yeah, there was an article about it last year. I think PJ had a 1 million parachute, Woody and some other assistants were owed. The emergency fund was a few million, so I dunno where it all went.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
OK. So what is the source for this info?

I can well imagine that GT is not his dream job. But dreaming he will be an assistant in the NBA is not much of a dream and being a coach at UK, even as Cal's assistant, is worse. If he is thinking of being the HC at UK he had better find the right formula at Tech first. So, my thought is that your source is just a guy who says he knows.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
OK. So what is the source for this info?

I can well imagine that GT is not his dream job. But dreaming he will be an assistant in the NBA is not much of a dream and being a coach at UK, even as Cal's assistant, is worse. If he is thinking of being the HC at UK he had better find the right formula at Tech first. So, my thought is that your source is just a guy who says he knows.
I’m not posting their name other than high up in GTAA. If I knew you, I might share but I don’t want blab their name in a forum and risk their position.

slugboy

Staff member
Check the topic Partner's Future. It was mentioned there. I have no other insight.
There was some talk when we hired him about us being a stop on his journey back to Arizona, but I almost never hear of a coach wanting to leave a head coaching job for an assistant position. It’s not like an assistant gets a lot more free time than a head coach.
It’s a fun topic to shoot the breeze over, but is it something one of us would do, or advise their best friend to do?
There is literally one guy claiming he knows something. I’m sure Pastner figured he needed out at Memphis and Tech could set him up to get to the big time but think he’s pretty much blown that. If would take 2-3 really good years back to back to make him
a hot commodity imo unless he wants an assistant job in the NBA.
I agree about 2-3 years, and more in addition. He’d really have to show off more recruiting chops than we’ve seen lately or an intriguing offensive scheme for that to happen (in my opinion). He’s finally past his Bell problems, and hopefully he can get a second wind and find his footing again.
Stringing together 2-3 more classes like this last one and he’d be in good shape.
Would that mean he's available cheap?
I do wonder when he’ll be back on the sideline. I don’t think our legal and compliance departments are up to that kind of stress and risk right now, and I can’t see any faculty member on a hiring committee here saying “yes”.
There are over 200 NCAA-tourney-eligible universities. It only takes one to hire him.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
I also remember no one besides Pastner wanted this job!
This is true. We had a few who basically used us for leverage for other jobs. Remember we had a team that had lost a ton of experience from Gregory's last season and most people thought we did not have much talent coming back. The incoming recruiting class was unimpressive. That is why some picked us to not win a single ACC game. Anyone who says we are in a worse position than when Pastner was hired is delusional.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
Lot of silliness on display here. Yeah, I did not and do not like losing to anyone but, my gawd, can we at least wait until we've played five or six games before we panic and conclude that it's time for Pastner to go? For one thing, we tend to underrate GSU. Huge mistake. I've never wanted go play them. Pastner himself wasn't fired up about playing them on the almost spur-of-the-moment basis in the 'Season of Covid'. Second, there was a good amount of sloppy play but after all this was the first game of a season with shortened 'training camp' ...and we lost by three in a 4 OT game. Also remember that we finished FIFTH in the ACC last year after a bit of a rough start. I suspect that we'll be just fine in 2020-2021 and a tournament team, but even if I'm wrong seems to me we owe it to our program to at least be reasonabl. Suggesting that the sky is falling after a 4OT game one in which we scored 120 and lose by three is not being reasonable. Let's grow up a bit...and I'm not just talking about the Jackets on the floor.
He’s had 4 years of bad teams not just one game