Coaching Carousel 6 - You can't make everyone happy. You are not bacon.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Why would we have a bad season?

I think it's less that people are expecting a bad season but more that Pastner is pretty much in a situation where he needs to prove he can get us to the tournament which is why he was listed on the hot seat (the start of this line of thinking was a tweet that mentioned that he was). So far, despite some issues, he's pretty much revamped the roster from one that had major issues to one that should be able to compete and make the NCAAT, and is set up well in the near future to maintain that. Second half of last year we played to that level for the most part. We're set up for him to get us back there and currently there isn't much reason, in my opinion, as a fanbase to think he'll need to be replaced soon. However, he still needs to actually make it happen.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree that by the end of last season the team was playing at the level of a middle seed NCAAT team. But early season problems would have tanked any chance for an NCAAT bid.

When GT had nine consecutive NCAAT bids, the ACC had 8 teams. There were 29 conferences and each conference averaged 8 teams and mid-major programs were rarely seriously competitive with high major programs.

Today, there are 33 conferences averaging a little under 11 teams per conference. With the emergence of the AAU industry, there are more impactful players being produced and with the TV money, many Mid-Major schools have invested in their basketball programs to cash in on the honeypot. There are more (more than 50 more!) teams in serious competition for NCAAT bids.

The result is talent and coaching parity that is not only saturating the Power-5 level but well into the Mid-Major level as well. The result is that Power-5 conferences not only have more teams in them now than in days gone by, but the NCAAT selection panel is not dipping as deep into those Power conferences. So, in a 15 team conference noted for parity and only 4 teams highly likely to get a bid, from a purely probabilistic perspective, getting a bid is far less likely than it used to be. Sure, there are still a few Blue Chip programs that dominate, but those programs have budget and pay coaches in amounts that we can't sniff.

For the great majority of programs, competition for NCAAT bids has grown, which means that a coach can put a good team on the floor and coach them quite well and pivotal wins and losses can come down to things outside a coach's control like injuries, an official's call or luck.

I would conclude that applying the standard that a particular coach HAS to make the NCAAT in any one given year is rather arbitrary and self-defeating.

Anyway, who knows if there is going to be a season this year let alone an NCAAT. And even if there is one and we don't make it, where is the money going to come from to make changes?

The point being, thinking about changing coaches at the dawn of a highly uncertain but nevertheless promising season seems more than a little twisted to me.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Marshall is officially out @ Wichita State

And he still gets major $$$

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Marshall is officially out @ Wichita State

Surprised punching, choking, basically assault isn't covered by one of his "for cause" clauses in his contract?
May not be an NCAA violation but I would expect there to be a clause to allow them to fire for cause.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Surprised punching, choking, basically assault isn't covered by one of his "for cause" clauses in his contract?
May not be an NCAA violation but I would expect there to be a clause to allow them to fire for cause.

Character clauses are pretty standard in any contract these days. I'd be shocked if that money was given purely for Marshall resigning. There's probably some dirty laundry Wichita State would rather Marshall not air and that money also serves to keep Marshall quiet.

Deleted member 2897

anyone who hasn't been to the NCAA tourney going into year 5 is going to make a hot seat list. Especially an ACC level team.
I have every hope he gets to the tourney this year but being on a list like this isn't surprising.

Well let’s not forget we were expected to go 0-fer in his first year. Then he lost a couple years it feels like due to the psychopath. A great recruiting class after a 5th place finish in the ACC last year...this year with no covid I’d be expecting something like 22 wins. But who knows this year with how we have to practice and prepare. If Stansbury stood by him when the #MeToo easy answer would to have just been to jettison him, I don’t see him making a move now.

And speaking of abusive coaches, I haven’t heard about ex-GT coach CMJ. I guess she relented and slithered away into the shadows.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Many of us were upset about the Ron Bell thing - I believe it destroyed one season with Okogie that had potential and the whole scene was idiotic. Also his recruiting had been weak. We should be able to recruit bball players to the ACC and ATL. His pickups for the 2021 recruiting class are encouraging. But at the end of the day - we can't afford any payouts right now so we are stuck with him no matter what. Even if an investor came with money, I beleive TS would argue we use the money for the program, not buyouts.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
What is Pastner’s buyout? This is so frustrating! I was looking forward to this season more than any since maybe Thaddeus Young was here , & this happens , & I don’t care what anyone says about how GSU is a perennial tourney team , GT should beat the little brother around the block . The season is far from over but with the limited amount of non conf games & considering how tough our conf schedule is this, this one hurts .

Deleted member 2897

What is Pastner’s buyout? This is so frustrating! I was looking forward to this season more than any since maybe Thaddeus Young was here , & this happens , & I don’t care what anyone says about how GSU is a perennial tourney team , GT should beat the little brother around the block . The season is far from over but with the limited amount of non conf games & considering how tough our conf schedule is this, this one hurts .

He’s not being bought out in a financially stressed pandemic. Get that thought out of your head. Your main sentiment is spot on though - you can’t lose to a Georgia State.

GtBaseball3

Jolly Good Fellow
Pastner should of never been hired in the first place. I remember Memphis fans were so happy to watch him leave. We did them huge favor

GTFLETCH

Banned
What I find concerning is Josh Pastners comments after the game. I guess he and I watched a different game. The program has a lonng way to go, he inherited a better program from Brian Gregory than he has today...just pathetic...our Men's basketball team has officially been set back years.

“We just could never put them away,” said Tech coach Josh Pastner, who directed the Jackets behind a face shield. “It was almost like the basketball gods said, ‘OK, Georgia State’s winning this game.’”

Link

GTFLETCH

Banned
AD TStan has a lot of explaining to do.... Could have fired Pastner during the Ron Bell drama. He gave him an extension and needs to fire him ASAP. Pandemic or not this was horrible basketball performance by an ACC program in year five of a Coach. Can Nell Fortner coach the men 's team?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Unless he goes something like 10-17 this year, Pastner is back next year regardless. No point in worrying about him getting fired this year.