Coaching Carousel 6 - You can't make everyone happy. You are not bacon.

GTsports1819

Georgia Tech Fan
I’ll preface this comment by saying that I am not giving up on this year’s team yet. I watched the whole game, and last night was very disappointing, largely because we showed a lack of depth and motion on offense. Way too much isolation basketball, with our guards often dribbling into trouble and nobody cutting or moving to get open. That said, Jose looked great. He plays with a ton of heart, and we will miss him next year. Moses was also fantastic. I thought Parham was pretty productive too.

Outside of that it’s hard to find a lot of positives. GSU came in with a game plan and looked smoother on offense. That’s what disappoints me. We have more talent but they looked better prepared. That seems like a coaching issue, and I hope we can turn it around.

Pastner might be safe this year if he misses the tourney because he’s bringing in a great recruiting class. But if we aren’t at least .500, it’s still pretty hard to justify. And I don’t understand why there’s this assumption that we don’t have the money. All it takes is a few mega-donors + whatever is available in the “slush fund” to make that happen. He may have some room for error with the recruiting class coming in, but let’s please quit acting like we aren’t capable of finding better if he underperforms this year...again, I’m still hoping he meets expectations

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I’ll preface this comment by saying that I am not giving up on this year’s team yet. I watched the whole game, and last night was very disappointing, largely because we showed a lack of depth and motion on offense. Way too much isolation basketball, with our guards often dribbling into trouble and nobody cutting or moving to get open. That said, Jose looked great. He plays with a ton of heart, and we will miss him next year. Moses was also fantastic. I thought Parham was pretty productive too.

Outside of that it’s hard to find a lot of positives. GSU came in with a game plan and looked smoother on offense. That’s what disappoints me. We have more talent but they looked better prepared. That seems like a coaching issue, and I hope we can turn it around.

Pastner might be safe this year if he misses the tourney because he’s bringing in a great recruiting class. But if we aren’t at least .500, it’s still pretty hard to justify. And I don’t understand why there’s this assumption that we don’t have the money. All it takes is a few mega-donors + whatever is available in the “slush fund” to make that happen. He may have some room for error with the recruiting class coming in, but let’s please quit acting like we aren’t capable of finding better if he underperforms this year...again, I’m still hoping he meets expectations

Slush fund was spent on football coaching change and I doubt this covid year has allowed us to replenish it.

GTsports1819

Georgia Tech Fan
Slush fund was spent on football coaching change and I doubt this covid year has allowed us to replenish it.
You’re probably right. Look, I don’t think he’s going anywhere after this year either. And hopefully he does well, we make the tourney, and it’s not even an issue. But my point is that slushfund or not, it would still be possible for a group of mega-donors to make donations that would provide enough funds to move on and get a new coach.

Again, it’s still really early. I’m not giving up on this team or coach, and I want to go to the Dance as bad as the next guy. But there’s a lot of work to be done if we’re going to perform to expectations. And I think it is fair for fans to have expectations and demand a competitive team. We should be building off last year, not regressing. Until the season is over, we should keep supporting the guys.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Mrs Maisel GIF by The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Some of you peeps have got to chill. It was a game. That we lost. That we should have won. That was in the wildest and weirdest of possible set ups with Covid, the quadruple overtime, the contactless practices, etc.

It troubles me that we had bad free throw shooting in the first half ( 61%) and second half (55%) which to me was the story of the game. Thankfully we woke up in the 4 OT Periods (82%); I’m sure in part because of who was being fouled - let’s take a moment to at least agree Moses and Jose are absolute beasts.

Our offense looked rough in the 4 outs sets, and we felt the loss of Banks. That said Moses looked like his hair was on fire and Saba is going to get better. Howard was disappointing though (let’s see more than a single game, and the first of the season at that) he is working with one of, if not the best big man coaches in college ball.

Turnovers were frustrating- but again the second half (12) looked better than the 1st (14); and only 2 through 20 minutes of overtime.

We need to rest up and hydrate for a quick turn around against Mercer tomorrow night. I suspect and believe we will look cleaner over the next three to five games.

I want to win them all too, but I also think GaSt is better than people are giving them credit for right now. Time will tell.

Until then, happy thanksgiving all - I’ll lift a glass of scotch to you all this evening

GTsports1819

Georgia Tech Fan
GSU is a good team and our perception of them should be reality based. This was always going to be a competitive game.
Competitive - yes, I don’t think anybody expected an easy game. But the point remains that it is one game we may wish we had back come Selection Sunday. At some point you have to win these kinds of games to make the tourney. That’s just the reality of the situation, and we’ve struggled with the nonconference schedule the last few years. We would all feel much better if we had picked up the W against a solid GSU team.

But there are still plenty of big opportunities on the schedule. So here’s to hoping we regroup and don’t even have to worry about it when March rolls around.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I don’t see Josh as owning the team. I am aware that he took the job wanting to return to AZ. There has been talk (by him) going to KY or even to the NBA as an assistant. Long story... he doesn’t want to be at Tech.

i’m not worried about one game. But we haven’t been relevant in years.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don’t see Josh as owning the team. I am aware that he took the job wanting to return to AZ. There has been talk (by him) going to KY or even to the NBA as an assistant. Long story... he doesn’t want to be at Tech.

I thought I followed GT basketball about as closely as anyone and I have never heard any of this. Do you have a source?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I dunno about @Vespidae ,s info, but it was kinda obvious from the jump that Pastner sought this job to rebuild his resume while getting run out of Memphis, and Tech took him after striking out on other candidates. In short, we kinda needed each other. The better he does here, the better his future prospects and the better position we will be to hire the next coach.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
If some of the info about him wanting to leave is true then if he can have one good season he may leave on his own. Personally I am neutral on pastner but I do want GT to be successful so I do support him as long as he is here. It does seem like we are always one really good player away from having a complete team. We sure did miss Banks last night.

Jacket Forever

Jolly Good Fellow
Lot of silliness on display here. Yeah, I did not and do not like losing to anyone but, my gawd, can we at least wait until we've played five or six games before we panic and conclude that it's time for Pastner to go? For one thing, we tend to underrate GSU. Huge mistake. I've never wanted go play them. Pastner himself wasn't fired up about playing them on the almost spur-of-the-moment basis in the 'Season of Covid'. Second, there was a good amount of sloppy play but after all this was the first game of a season with shortened 'training camp' ...and we lost by three in a 4 OT game. Also remember that we finished FIFTH in the ACC last year after a bit of a rough start. I suspect that we'll be just fine in 2020-2021 and a tournament team, but even if I'm wrong seems to me we owe it to our program to at least be reasonabl. Suggesting that the sky is falling after a 4OT game one in which we scored 120 and lose by three is not being reasonable. Let's grow up a bit...and I'm not just talking about the Jackets on the floor.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck

If true and he really would rather be an assistant and not a head coach, then please let someone hire him saves us a buyout.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Lot of silliness on display here. Yeah, I did not and do not like losing to anyone but, my gawd, can we at least wait until we've played five or six games before we panic and conclude that it's time for Pastner to go? For one thing, we tend to underrate GSU. Huge mistake. I've never wanted go play them. Pastner himself wasn't fired up about playing them on the almost spur-of-the-moment basis in the 'Season of Covid'. Second, there was a good amount of sloppy play but after all this was the first game of a season with shortened 'training camp' ...and we lost by three in a 4 OT game. Also remember that we finished FIFTH in the ACC last year after a bit of a rough start. I suspect that we'll be just fine in 2020-2021 and a tournament team, but even if I'm wrong seems to me we owe it to our program to at least be reasonabl. Suggesting that the sky is falling after a 4OT game one in which we scored 120 and lose by three is not being reasonable. Let's grow up a bit...and I'm not just talking about the Jackets on the floor.
While I tend to agree, wouldn't you switch coaches with GSU straight up right now if it was possible.