Coaching Carousel 5 - You have to look through the rain to see the rainbow

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The money to be made from a successful football program nowadays is >>>>> the money to be made from a successful basketball program. From a pure financial perspective, you have to focus your spending on getting the big moneymaker healthy first.

Bingo on this. FB brings in alot more revenue than BB so it will almost always be dealt with first.

Also, I do not expect to be in the market for a coach this offseason so i'm not too worried about Smart (and he isn't #1 on my list anyways).
Wake and TX both have huge buyouts to deal with if they fire their coaches this offseason. Probably easier for TX to handle than Wake.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
BC & Wake aren't surprises on the list, though I'm not sure if Wake pulls the trigger on Manning with the 8-figure (rumored) buyout figure. Would be surprised if Clemson cared enough about basketball to run Brownell out of town. especially after he won in Chapel Hill and beat Duke. I would think he's safe

sadly, George Mason is spot on. I've got friends who are donor / boosters and they're gunning for the coach. I think the coach is doing a good job (lost his best player to injury. 12-4 with him playing. 1-5 without him.

Shaka on the hot seat again? He's been living there for a while. If you can't win with that athletic dept budget behind you.....

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I also use Danny Hall as a guidepost. Despite his long and amazing history of a coach, he had quite a few years in a row of mediocre performance - which was actually doubly poor considering our high level of recruiting. ADTS gave him plenty of runway, and he finally turned it around last year. Tons of people were expecting CDH to have been fired after the 2018 season but he wasn't. I think given the money and ADTS' approach in other situations, I would highly doubt if we fired CJP after the end of this season. If he's not, I hope in the very least ADTS is sending out feelers both future coach-wise and money-wise so we don't get caught flat footed if we need to make a change mid-season next year or at the end of the season. If there was ever a time where we knew we should be covering our bases looking for a possible future coach, this is it.

This is what so often saddens me. That people think CDH turned something around last season. He ****ed up the ending again.

I would right now rather keep CJP than CDH.

And CJP will be here for at least 2 more years I would guess.

Deleted member 2897

This is what so often saddens me. That people think CDH turned something around last season. He ****ed up the ending again.

I would right now rather keep CJP than CDH.

And CJP will be here for at least 2 more years I would guess.

#3 in the entire country is ****ing up the end? We should be so unlucky more often. Being the away team while we’re the home team so we don’t get the last bat twice in our own region was just stupid.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I don't trust this guy, but I would really love to get Shaka Smart if he becomes available.

there is one guy in this group that has a clue.

Pastner isn’t going anywhere. The guys will play hard and be good on defense again and we will miss the tournament.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
He gets another year at least. He needs to evaluate his assistants. They do most of the actual coaching. Cremmins best years were with Perry and Felton. Things not as good when they left.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Staff changes should be mandatory at this point.

In order, changes that make the most sense:
1a) Wilkins (Because you put Elder on the recruiting trail and Elder's not gonna be a slouch coaching offense, given his career to date)
1b) Reveno (His post player development is great. College basketball is a game of guard play)
2) Swartz (He's basically the point person on all recruiting at this point, especially local)

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is a big shift in the conversation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is? Discussing assistants?

Making changes there are typically a way for an embattled coach to get a bit more leash before he gets the axe.

Also, I feel like @sidewalkGTfan & I have read that same concept in the same place elsewhere.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
In order, changes that make the most sense:
1a) Wilkins (Because you put Elder on the recruiting trail and Elder's not gonna be a slouch coaching offense, given his career to date)
1b) Reveno (His post player development is great. College basketball is a game of guard play)
2) Swartz (He's basically the point person on all recruiting at this point, especially local)

IMO Wilkins is the one that we should be looking to replace. Wasn't a big fan of that hire when it was made, and haven't changed my opinion too much.

You're right that college basketball is a guard's game but being able to have good bigs makes a lot of things easier and can cover for mistakes. I do think he's a bit one dimensional in his benefit not seeming to offer too much in the way of recruiting or game planning, but with Saba, meka, and hopefully Sotto coming in, I want them learning from Rev.

I have mixed feelings on Swartz. On one hand, he's probably the most important assistant to recruiting which we desperately need at the moment (a big 2021 class is pretty much a must get if the staff will be here long term). Getting rid of him now probably means you're just waiting to pull the trigger on the entire staff. On the other hand he's been the assistant that has been with Pastner the longest, going back to his memphis days, and I don't believe he has any assistant experience otherwise.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
IMO Wilkins is the one that we should be looking to replace. Wasn't a big fan of that hire when it was made, and haven't changed my opinion too much.

You're right that college basketball is a guard's game but being able to have good bigs makes a lot of things easier and can cover for mistakes. I do think he's a bit one dimensional in his benefit not seeming to offer too much in the way of recruiting or game planning, but with Saba, meka, and hopefully Sotto coming in, I want them learning from Rev.

I have mixed feelings on Swartz. On one hand, he's probably the most important assistant to recruiting which we desperately need at the moment (a big 2021 class is pretty much a must get if the staff will be here long term). Getting rid of him now probably means you're just waiting to pull the trigger on the entire staff. On the other hand he's been the assistant that has been with Pastner the longest, going back to his memphis days, and I don't believe he has any assistant experience otherwise.

I don't think he was on the bench, but he worked for Crean. Do you want Swartz and those relationships heading up the highway to Athens?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I don't think he was on the bench, but he worked for Crean. Do you want Swartz and those relationships heading up the highway to Athens?

I wouldn't be overly worried if he did, but I'm also not overly worried about Crean at UGA anyways and don't think Swartz is the solution to what ails them.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I wouldn't be overly worried if he did, but I'm also not overly worried about Crean at UGA anyways and don't think Swartz is the solution to what ails them.

I'm more worried about the zero sum game of getting players than whether Crean will be successful and Swartz would help with that.

With Chad Dollar already there, doubling up on relationships with Swartz, and Crean a relentless recruiter, it could facilitate a couple of more years where we don't get our fair share of in-state talent, while our new staff or assistants or whatever have to build relationships.