Coaching Carousel 5 - You have to look through the rain to see the rainbow

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
We all keep mulling this over and wondering what's gonna happen after the 2020 season, I hope by now everyone knows I want him gone, but seriously has anyone heard anything? Any rumors? I caught the tail end of a segment on AM680 and they were talking about how we were scrapped for money, if that's the case we can blame Dave Braine, Radakovich, and Bobinski for stupid decisions. Anyway GT basketball should be so much better than what its been in last 15 years and I'm hoping we get back to that.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We all keep mulling this over and wondering what's gonna happen after the 2020 season,

There isn't any wonder about what's going to go on after the 2020 season though. Every poster with a credible history of having a finger on the pulse of the program is saying the same thing. It's why there are no real rumors swirling.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't think there is any real mulling going on in the AA, unless something radically changes I would expect Pastner to be retained at the end of this season.

From using our rainy day fund to pay for the coaching changes, to the NCAA recruiting restrictions, to the contract not being amenable to GT firing Pastner this season (he would be owed 100% of his remaining contract if we fire him after this season but only 75% of his remaining contract after next season), I am not expecting the basketball program to be addressed this offseason.

Deleted member 2897

I don't think there is any real mulling going on in the AA, unless something radically changes I would expect Pastner to be retained at the end of this season.

From using our rainy day fund to pay for the coaching changes, to the NCAA recruiting restrictions, to the contract not being amenable to GT firing Pastner this season (he would be owed 100% of his remaining contract if we fire him after this season but only 75% of his remaining contract after next season), I am not expecting the basketball program to be addressed this offseason.

I also use Danny Hall as a guidepost. Despite his long and amazing history of a coach, he had quite a few years in a row of mediocre performance - which was actually doubly poor considering our high level of recruiting. ADTS gave him plenty of runway, and he finally turned it around last year. Tons of people were expecting CDH to have been fired after the 2018 season but he wasn't. I think given the money and ADTS' approach in other situations, I would highly doubt if we fired CJP after the end of this season. If he's not, I hope in the very least ADTS is sending out feelers both future coach-wise and money-wise so we don't get caught flat footed if we need to make a change mid-season next year or at the end of the season. If there was ever a time where we knew we should be covering our bases looking for a possible future coach, this is it.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
My personal feelings aside, I'd be shocked if he's not coaching here next year, regardless of how the rest of this season plays out.

Deleted member 2897

With regards to the status of our BBall coach (looks like threads were merged), just saw this on Twitter. (Ken Seguira responded this is roughly accurate.) . If its true, that's a ton of money. Even firing him after NEXT season will cost us $3.5m? Wow.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
With regards to the status of our BBall coach (looks like threads were merged), just saw this on Twitter. (Ken Seguira responded this is roughly accurate.) . If its true, that's a ton of money. Even firing him after NEXT season will cost us $3.5m? Wow.

Those numbers are roughly what I expected by looking at his contract.
It's one reason why I think it is very unlikely we would make a move this offseason. He is scheduled to make $2M for the 20-21 season, so by keeping him one more year TStan basically saves 0ver $1M.

$6.6M isn't that large of a buyout for a college basketball coach and $3.45M would be almost low by buyout standards. There are coaches with 8 figure buyouts - including Danny Manning at Wake.

An AD has to work within the real world confines that he is living in.
Right now TStan is working in an environment where getting the FB program right is currently priority #1 and the money is going to that endeavor. There is no excess money lying around to spend on the BB program. Making a move right now would likely mean an extra $1M you have to account for plus not being in a place where you can make a strong play for a good coach due to both a lack of available funds as well as coaches not being interested due to the recruiting restrictions that don't lessen until after the 20-21 season (and don't go away completely until after the 22-23 season).

anybody you would want to hire is likely to command in the $3M per year range. So you actually have to commit a significant increase in resources if you want to make a move.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Right now TStan is working in an environment where getting the FB program right is currently priority #1 and the money is going to that endeavor. There is no excess money lying around to spend on the BB program. Making a move right now would likely mean an extra $1M you have to account for plus not being in a place where you can make a strong play for a good coach due to both a lack of available funds as well as coaches not being interested due to the recruiting restrictions that don't lessen until after the 20-21 season (and don't go away completely until after the 22-23 season).

anybody you would want to hire is likely to command in the $3M per year range. So you actually have to commit a significant increase in resources if you want to make a move.
And this IMO is where I think he made a mistake. I love Tech football, Im a season ticket holder living in Maryland, but honestly the way the current playoff and revenues are going, we will never be an "elite" program ala UGA, Clemson or Bama. I envision us as an Auburn at our ceiling , which I am happy with.

However, Im a Tech BB guy first and we can be an elite program there, as we have been before. Its also cheaper and you can make a quicker impact with the right coach (not saying Pastner isn't the right coach but it sure is trending that way). What I don't like is that BB has to take a back seat when we can spend money on both. Its probably not true but it feels to me like ADTS considers BB the same as baseball if not lower.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
And this IMO is where I think he made a mistake. I love Tech football, Im a season ticket holder living in Maryland, but honestly the way the current playoff and revenues are going, we will never be an "elite" program ala UGA, Clemson or Bama. I envision us as an Auburn at our ceiling , which I am happy with.

However, Im a Tech BB guy first and we can be an elite program there, as we have been before. Its also cheaper and you can make a quicker impact with the right coach (not saying Pastner isn't the right coach but it sure is trending that way). What I don't like is that BB has to take a back seat when we can spend money on both. Its probably not true but it feels to me like ADTS considers BB the same as baseball if not lower.

First off there wasn't a choice. Johnson retired and we had to hire a new staff. We had a competitive offer to Collins but it was hardly a break the bank kind of deal in comparison to the rest of the league. Even then, the situation of transition out of the triple option likely drove up the price, and certainly payed a part in the length of the contract.

Second, not sure why you think it's cheaper to get to elite in basketball. In the last hiring cycle we went after Chris Mack and weren't given the time of day. He was given a 7 year 4 mil per year contract at UL That isn't cheaper. And that is the level of hire we would need to reliably improve as quick as some people think. There seems to be this pervasive thought that we just have to find the "right" under the radar mid major coach who has yet to prove themselves and they'll come in, recruit great, coach great, and we'll be back into the sweet 16 no problem.

But when was the last time an ACC team made a hire like that and it turned out great? Larranaga I guess. Most of the success of recent hires has come from guys like Buzz Williams, Bennett, and Mack while guys like Pastner, Gregory, Keatts, Bzdelik, Manning, Lieto, etc struggle and eventually get fired. If we keep going cheap on the hire we're very likely to remain where we are.

If we want to compete we have to make a hire that screams we are going to compete, not whispers we hope things work out.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
First off there wasn't a choice. Johnson retired and we had to hire a new staff. We had a competitive offer to Collins but it was hardly a break the bank kind of deal in comparison to the rest of the league. Even then, the situation of transition out of the triple option likely drove up the price, and certainly payed a part in the length of the contract.

Second, not sure why you think it's cheaper to get to elite in basketball. In the last hiring cycle we went after Chris Mack and weren't given the time of day. He was given a 7 year 4 mil per year contract at UL That isn't cheaper. And that is the level of hire we would need to reliably improve as quick as some people think. There seems to be this pervasive thought that we just have to find the "right" under the radar mid major coach who has yet to prove themselves and they'll come in, recruit great, coach great, and we'll be back into the sweet 16 no problem.

But when was the last time an ACC team made a hire like that and it turned out great? Larranaga I guess. Most of the success of recent hires has come from guys like Buzz Williams, Bennett, and Mack while guys like Pastner, Gregory, Keatts, Bzdelik, Manning, Lieto, etc struggle and eventually get fired. If we keep going cheap on the hire we're very likely to remain where we are.

If we want to compete we have to make a hire that screams we are going to compete, not whispers we hope things work out.
I wasn't comparing just head coach to head coach contracts. Im talking overall expenditures for the program. We burned through our "rainy day" fund for assistants and staff for football, which we needed to do. You only need to land a few recruits to move a program quickly in BB and thats what I meant by cheaper. We need alot of recruits in FB to be try to get to elite, that takes time and money.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer

Keatts sees what you did there :oops::eek:

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck

The money to be made from a successful football program nowadays is >>>>> the money to be made from a successful basketball program. From a pure financial perspective, you have to focus your spending on getting the big moneymaker healthy first.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

History says we have a better chance of being elite in football than basketball. It seems counter-intuitive, but it appears to be true. Finding the right coach is really the rub. Even if you found the next Cremins through sheer luck or just brilliant evaluation, you've got to find a way to keep him after a few years when he could surely win easier, elsewhere.

It's gonna be a long slog to get this thing where it needs to be.