Coaching Carousel 4 - Hard work pays off in the future, laziness pays off now

LibertyTurns

Banned
Don't the Barnes rumors kinda smell like an agent using UCLA to get his client a raise?

And doesn't the Young to VPI hiring kinda smell like the hires made by BC and Clem a couple years ago? Good coaches but ...
I don’t think anyone’s looking to GT for basketball HC advice.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Don't the Barnes rumors kinda smell like an agent using UCLA to get his client a raise?

And doesn't the Young to VPI hiring kinda smell like the hires made by BC and Clem a couple years ago? Good coaches but ...

I think Young is a really good coach, perhaps excellent. The bigger question is having the right guys on his bench to bring players in to Blacksburg.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
VT would be hiring one of the best mid major coaches though. Their fans should be thrilled.

I agree that I thought his Wofford teams the last couple of years looked really good, but that is not at all what their fanbase expected. They expected to hit a homerun hire again (even though that was unrealistic).
Since it is reported he was given a 5 yr, 12MM contract - they are not going to want to wait for years for him to rebuild but that is where they are at. He's going to get more per year as an avg than Pastner will have for any single year in his contract.

it took him 7 years to have his first winning season at Wofford - he won't get that long at VT.
He is going to need some really good recruiting assts.

Right now based on their losses I would likely have them going from top 1/3 of the ACC to the bottom 1/3 next year. They may not have a single player who started an ACC game last year on the roster in the fall.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Young is a really good coach - x and o's stuff. He will have them in legit offensive and defensive sets. The question will be can he get ACC level talent to VT - and how long does it take him to get them there. Smart guys will understand that all or most of the players from this year are gone - but most fans are not going to give him slack for that.

They have been spoiled. They don't understand "misery" any more :)

Last edited:

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
The three names to look for are Blackshear, Outlaw and Nolley. I guess you can toss Bede in there as well but some think he is heading to Providence.

If he keeps the first three he’ll at least have something to start with

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Rumors up here in Tennessee say Rick Barnes will wind up being the next UCLA men's head basketball coach. Rick Barnes said he was in LA last week for an interview concerning the UCLA men's head basketball coaching job. UCLA will have to pay Tennessee a buyout of 5 million dollars for Rick Barnes and rumors say they are willing just to save face from being turned down by John Calipari after offering the bank to him.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Rumors up here in Tennessee say Rick Barnes will wind up being the next UCLA men's head basketball coach. Rick Barnes said he was in LA last week for an interview concerning the UCLA men's head basketball coaching job. UCLA will have to pay Tennessee a buyout of 5 million dollars for Rick Barnes and rumors say they are willing just to save face from being turned down by John Calipari after offering the bank to him.

And by offering the bank they of course mean offering him $1.3M less than what he currently makes accompanied by a move to California to enjoy their taxes

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
UCLA has long had a reputation as being 'cheap' in terms of pay because they feel the 'UCLA' name should be enough.

This whole things just reaks of desperation at this point. UCLA offered Calipari less than what he was making at KY to leave- that was just dumb.
Then they didn't want to pay Dixon's whole buyout ($8MM). But now that that fell apart they will pay a $5MM buyout for a coach who is 11 years older and whose success level is pretty similar.

Bede and Outlaw are the 2 big ones to watch at VT. If Bede is going to transfer this would be the year to do it. Outlaw has been there forever. Have to think his decision may be partly based on how close he is to getting his grad degree. He is already 23 years old. If things go the wrong way VT could be going from a rebuilding year that 19-20 was likely to be to a 3-4 yr rebuilding the program.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
UCLA has long had a reputation as being 'cheap' in terms of pay because they feel the 'UCLA' name should be enough.

This whole things just reaks of desperation at this point. UCLA offered Calipari less than what he was making at KY to leave- that was just dumb.
Then they didn't want to pay Dixon's whole buyout ($8MM). But now that that fell apart they will pay a $5MM buyout for a coach who is 11 years older and whose success level is pretty similar.

Bede and Outlaw are the 2 big ones to watch at VT. If Bede is going to transfer this would be the year to do it. Outlaw has been there forever. Have to think his decision may be partly based on how close he is to getting his grad degree. He is already 23 years old. If things go the wrong way VT could be going from a rebuilding year that 19-20 was likely to be to a 3-4 yr rebuilding the program.

I think it was fairly obvious UCLA wanted to say “well, we tried to get Cal” but didn’t really want to pay that amount.

If you have $8M for Cal, don’t you have $8M for Bennett? Unless the booster wanted Cal specifically

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think it was fairly obvious UCLA wanted to say “well, we tried to get Cal” but didn’t really want to pay that amount.

If you have $8M for Cal, don’t you have $8M for Bennett? Unless the booster wanted Cal specifically

Did you mean Dixon? Either way, I imagine it would be Cal-specific. Ain't no way I'm releasing $8mil for Dixon.

UCLA needs to just go with a young guy. I have no idea why, knowing they intended to be cheap, they didn't just hire Watson already. Could've played up the 'he has AAU and NBA ties' thing. Now, if they end up with him, everybody knows he's basically just the last fat chick at the bar and UCLA just wanted to put some points on the board.

Great, now the 'this place is just like stingtalk' guy will be on my case again. :rolleyes:

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Did you mean Dixon? Either way, I imagine it would be Cal-specific. Ain't no way I'm releasing $8mil for Dixon.

UCLA needs to just go with a young guy. I have no idea why, knowing they intended to be cheap, they didn't just hire Watson already. Could've played up the 'he has AAU and NBA ties' thing. Now, if they end up with him, everybody knows he's basically just the last fat chick at the bar and UCLA just wanted to put some points on the board.

Great, now the 'this place is just like stingtalk' guy will be on my case again. :rolleyes:

Bennett was the first name they floated during the season. I’m not sure I’m paying $8M to buyout Dixon either.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

They also could've played up the he had a stories career at UCLA and is finishing his degree there right now ties.