Coaching Carousel 2 - A New Dawn

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Washington should have fired him after they lost in the Pac 12 Tourney. Why they waited more than a week - and first said he was coming back is beyond me. Feels like something happened behind the scenes there in the last week.

I don't think Bennett will take the ILL job, but if they offer you $4.8MM/yr you have to listen.
UVA may have to pony up some serious money to keep him.
Bennett refused interest from WI last year.

KeystoneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Washington should have fired him after they lost in the Pac 12 Tourney. Why they waited more than a week - and first said he was coming back is beyond me. Feels like something happened behind the scenes there in the last week.

I think it is as simple as last week Porter Sr. was an assistant and Porter Jr. was coming to Washington. Once those two bailed, Washington's only reason to retain him was gone and they made the move.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Firing in season is just a bad look in my opinion

True, it's a bad look. Still, the postseason "yeah, he gon' be back .... uh, nevermind he's fired" isn't much better.

I think it is as simple as last week Porter Sr. was an assistant and Porter Jr. was coming to Washington. Once those two bailed, Washington's only reason to retain him was gone and they made the move.

Wait, Porter decommitted prior to the firing?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
No, but it looks like both are headed to Mizzou.

The timing is really interesting. I wonder if, as you suggest, they notified WAS they were following Martin to Mizzou which prompted the firing. However, that would suggest Martin and Mizzou were long gone before yesterday's announcement which is problematic from an ethical standpoint IMHO. Now, I'm fully aware how dirty cbb is, so I don't say that lightly.

And furthermore, if that's all it took for WAS to cut bait on Romar, that suggests that's really bad. As WAS has clearly proven, 1 recruit doesn't matter if you have the wrong staff. You can never make a program-wide decision based on the whims of 1 recruit. Awful.

Because they fired their coach... they would both be at Washington next year if Romar stayed

Not necessarily. It's up in the air IMHO. If they (finally) saw the writing on the wall that Romar's seat was nuclear regardless, that means Porter, Sr's career path was in jeopardy. Following Martin to Mizzou was good for the dad ... oh and the son since he'll only be there a year anyway.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Timing is everything.

Gotta wonder what the complexion of our coaching search looks like had CBG been retained, but fired this year. I have no doubts we don't make post season with him coaching us this season, and we're probably 2-4 league win team as a coach. GT probably looks like a worse coaching destination than it was last year.

Bobinski is gone, and Pastner probably isn't even a thought this year under Stansbury. Though having Stansbury here probably opens up a whole chapter of different coaches available to GT. I think had Pastner not bolted Memphis, he's probably a primary target for Cal after Martin left for Mizzou. Afterall, Cal would get a Martin type coach (high level recruiter) on a lower salary since Pastner took a smaller deal to leave for GT. Pastner also West Coast roots from his Arizona days.

All I know is, I'm VERY happy the way things turned out. Thank goodness we don't have to go through the coaching search drama this year, or the foreseeable future (knocks on wood).

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The tweets on Coaching Changes are comedy gold right now.
A couple of notes. CC is saying Scott Drew is being floated at ILL.
Also makes an interesting note on Martin's Missou contract. if a guy who has 2 NCAA appearances in 9 seasons as a HC gets a $3M/Yr for 7 YEARS - how will that impact the ability of other schools to hire coaches. Agents will certainly use that contract as a point in reference for any contract negotiations.

Also makes Pastner's contract feel like a bargain right now (hope I still feel that way in 2-3 yrs).

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I just had a nightmare daydream and woke up in a cold sweat. Well, I wasn't asleep so maybe it's just flop sweat (kidding, I'm not fat).

Considering Cal has been crushing our dreams for decades now, wouldn't it be soooo Cal for them to break the bank to get a certain guy out of Atlanta? I mean, that'd be just (not) great.