Coach Reveno Headed to Oregon State

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if Pastner is getting the Paul Johnson treatment now. Have big donors become apathetic to the BBall program under Pastner that they're not willing to dig into their pockets to help GT lure a really good assistant that can recruit and help the program?

I don't think GT is a bad place to be an assistant. Some of our guys have moved on the HC jobs. I also think that a good assistant has options in terms of $$$$, so if GT isn't willing to pay market rate, we get what we get.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It will be interesting to see this replacement. BJ (my favorite GT player ever) makes the most sense given his connections but I don’t know anything of his coaching ability.

Hardy leaving was the biggest blow to the program under CJP IMHO but this will hurt. There are so many Atlanta connected guys out in the ether right now and there is no way GT offers enough to lure them away. This is bad for us, we won’t pay the recruiters and just lost our best developer.
I think you put the nail on the head here. GT got raked over the coals for taking a recruit to a Strip club, the Institute is simply not going to be willing to play any under the table games.
As Wasp has so eloquently written how recruiting has developed over the last decade has put GT in a more disadvantaged place.

That doesn't mean GT has to accept poor teams. This coach himself has shown with the right players and coaches we can play for ACC Championships and make NCAA Tourneys.

One question I had that I thought would be answered when we hired Pastner was 'is our recruiting difficulties due to coaching or due to something else?' as Pastner was a good recruiter at Memphis.
The answer is probably not a straight black and white answer. I think Pastner and his staff do need to recruit better, but I think some of it is likely due to the school, not the staff. If you want a good illustration of that look at Jeff Capel at Pitt. He was one of the best recruiters in the country at OK and Duke, not so much so at Pitt - where he has struggled almost as much in recruiting as Pastner has at GT.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
100%. Nailed it

I’ve said it before and I will say it again, GT won’t be succcessful until they hire an African American coach.

I think you put the nail on the head here. GT got raked over the coals for taking a recruit to a Strip club, the Institute is simply not going to be willing to play any under the table games.
As Wasp has so eloquently written how recruiting has developed over the last decade has put GT in a more disadvantaged place.

That doesn't mean GT has to accept poor teams. This coach himself has shown with the right players and coaches we can play for ACC Championships and make NCAA Tourneys.

One question I had that I thought would be answered when we hired Pastner was 'is our recruiting difficulties due to coaching or due to something else?' as Pastner was a good recruiter at Memphis.
The answer is probably not a straight black and white answer. I think Pastner and his staff do need to recruit better, but I think some of it is likely due to the school, not the staff. If you want a good illustration of that look at Jeff Capel at Pitt. He was one of the best recruiters in the country at OK and Duke, not so much so at Pitt - where he has struggled almost as much in recruiting as Pastner has at GT.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
More color on Reveno leaving. Also, interesting comment on Saba if you do a bit of reading between the lines.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
More color on Reveno leaving. Also, interesting comment on Saba if you do a bit of reading between the lines.

Behind the paywall that def isn't worth paying for.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Ken S is stealing from GT fans who pay

Well, the AJC is more than just Ken. It's not just sports that the AJC covers. There are some really good writers who work for the AJC that work the local beat and write about local news. So supporting the AJC isn't just "supporting Ken", it's supporting the many other really good people at the AJC that do good work. Ignore all the Ken articles you want, but paying for the AJC is more than just about Ken.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, the AJC is more than just Ken. It's not just sports that the AJC covers. There are some really good writers who work for the AJC that work the local beat and write about local news. So supporting the AJC isn't just "supporting Ken", it's supporting the many other really good people at the AJC that do good work. Ignore all the Ken articles you want, but paying for the AJC is more than just about Ken.
I don't live in Atlanta, so I don't care about the rest of it.

Ken S should pay for your subscription.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don't live in Atlanta, so I don't care about the rest of it.

Ken S should pay for your subscription.
I have read your comments about Ken S for several years but have never quite understood what Ken does that is so irritating. I am not challenging you or questioning your juudgement. I think maybe I am missing something.