Coach Reveno Headed to Oregon State

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Rev is off to Oregon State.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I’ve been a big fan of his off the court and he did great work on the court.
+1 - never met him but seemed like a great guy off the court. Thanks for acknowledging that. His Election Day initiative bettered the young men he coached as well as countless NCAA athletes across the country. His success with numerous bigs at Georgia Tech speaks for itself with regards to the on the court stuff. Hope he gets his head coaching shot soon - I can equivocally say we're all rooting for him.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Saw him a couple of times at Trader Joe's in the Highlands. Very nice guy, always smiling and willing to stop and talk. Once was ahead of him in line (which was long) and he talked to my 7 year old about basketball. After several minutes, my daughter said "That is interesting but I don't really like basketball." Lol. Saw him again several months later and he remembered, made a few jokes about it.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
A big punch to the gut for GT basketball. But, good for Coach Reveno. A good guy with an opportunity to move "closer" to home. Nothing but best wishes for him, unless he's going up against GT for soemthing.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
For those saying it gives us an opportunity to upgrade recruiting, was having Rev not a huge selling point to recruit transfer bigs? Do we get James Banks or Rodney Howard without Rev on staff?

I completely understand/agree how losing Rev may be an addition in terms of recruiting high school kids, but not sure if that matters as much as it used to. The opportunity cost is we immediately become a less attractive destination for a young transfer big.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
One thing I was thinking about.

Coach Rev was likely brought in at least in part to help Pastner adjust to being a head coach acting somewhat as a mentor. Pastner was young and coming off a tumultuous time at Memphis so it probably helped to have that experienced voice in the room helping him set up the program in the way he wanted.

However, that effect might not be as important now that we are 6 years into Pastner's tenure. Obviously his big man work is still going to be a big loss but just a thought I had in terms of potentially going in a different direction with the hire.

For those saying it gives us an opportunity to upgrade recruiting, was having Rev not a huge selling point to recruit transfer bigs? Do we get James Banks or Rodney Howard without Rev on staff?

In theory but it never really turned out that way to me.

Banks was an unproven rising JR coming out of texas, and I'd say that having immediate playing time, being in the ACC, and being close to home were big selling points to land him anyways. Similar could be said for Howard. I'm sure having Rev didn't hurt, but I also wouldn't assume those were transfers we wouldn't have been able to land without Rev either.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
One thing I was thinking about.

Coach Rev was likely brought in at least in part to help Pastner adjust to being a head coach acting somewhat as a mentor. Pastner was young and coming off a tumultuous time at Memphis so it probably helped to have that experienced voice in the room helping him set up the program in the way he wanted.

However, that effect might not be as important now that we are 6 years into Pastner's tenure. Obviously his big man work is still going to be a big loss but just a thought I had in terms of potentially going in a different direction with the hire.

In theory but it never really turned out that way to me.

Banks was an unproven rising JR coming out of texas, and I'd say that having immediate playing time, being in the ACC, and being close to home were big selling points to land him anyways. Similar could be said for Howard. I'm sure having Rev didn't hurt, but I also wouldn't assume those were transfers we wouldn't have been able to land without Rev either.
Yeah I am wondering about us shifting away from the Princeton sets too. It sure if Rev was a proponent of that style play, but it seems like we kept go after that type of big.

If we do move away from the Princeton sets we still will need a rim protector for the 1-3-1 stuff we run, but maybe a different skill set altogether? I’m wondering if Josh feels good enough about Meka/Howard at the 5 if we decide to play more small ball or if we will still go after another big.

May be that this departure pushes us more towards the rangy long 4s we seem to be recruiting to too.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

I completely understand/agree how losing Rev may be an addition in terms of recruiting high school kids, but not sure if that matters as much as it used to. The opportunity cost is we immediately become a less attractive destination for a young transfer big.

This is an interesting question because I've been lower on the whole 'big man coach' thing than most.

Do bigs really come here specifically to work with Reveno? I don't necessarily think that's the case, but I'm curious how others feel/what other know on that subject.

I think bigs come here because we have minutes to give. He certainly coaches them up when they arrive. But, if it were all about him, we'd be much better at attracting bigs out of high school.

Please understand, this isn't me kicking the dude on his way out. This is a big loss for the program because he was a good coach, good person, etc. I just don't subscribe to the theory that bigs flock to come work with him.