Coach Reveno Headed to Oregon State

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think for anyone paying attention, it was just a matter of "when" not "if". It's not just that Reveno is a West Coast guy, but his track record at GT would obviously attract a LOT of attention. He helped Banks reach his 4 star potential. Turned both Lammers (3 star) and Wright (2 star) into All ACC caliber players. He also developed Rodney Howard into a serviceable center after pretty much being thrown on the trash heap by the UGA staff. Anyone who saw Howard play his first year here saw what kind of growth he had under Reveno. In all honesty, I was suprised he lasted this long at GT.

That said, as others have already mentioned, this gives Pastner an opportunity to upgrade the recruiting side of his staff. This is definitely not news we wanted to hear, but it could also be good for the program depending on who we bring in.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I'll parrot many posters. Great regard for CERs work while here. Great representative for GT. Will be interesting to see if the offense changes with the new hire. Best wishes to coach.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Interesting tidbit on Reveno's Portland State teams reading about his hire at Oregon State. Portland State was one of the best 3 point shooting teams during his HC tenure there:

Reveno coached 10 years at Portland, finishing with a 140-178 record at the West Coast Conference university. Under Reveno, the Pilots had two 20-win seasons and won a combined 60 games from 2008-11, the school’s most successful three-season stretch. The Pilots were also regularly among the nation’s top three-point shooting teams under the former coach.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Change is afoot! That could be a good thing coming-off a 14th finish in the ACC. While it makes us nervous to lose something we know is good, shaking things up can be invigorating for everyone. Fresh blood in a good idea.

In sports, and life, change is constant and inevitable. Adapt or die...hopefully GT adapts...and I'm not just speaking about our BBall program.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Rev was a good coach, but it would be nice if we could recruit bigs that needed less development. Maybe his replacement will be that guy.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't think bigs came here for the most part due to Rev being here, but I think they benefitted from him being here tremendously. I think that is what we will miss the most.
I expect our big man development to not be as strong.

former asst Anthony Hardy was the one who brought the Princeton offensive sets with him. He had experience with them.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
IMO the odds of LaBarrie coaching here again are small.
He had a show cause and he lied when he talked to people at GT. He did try to make up for that but it was already too late.
Keep in mind almost all the sanctions GT received from the NCAA for violations had to do with LaBarrie, not with Bell.

slugboy

Staff member
I don't think bigs came here for the most part due to Rev being here, but I think they benefitted from him being here tremendously. I think that is what we will miss the most.
I expect our big man development to not be as strong.

former asst Anthony Hardy was the one who brought the Princeton offensive sets with him. He had experience with them.
I sometimes forget that Pastner came up under the Calipari dribble-drive offense and the Lute Olson offense(s)

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I hope to see us run sets this coming year that fit more to our personnel. It seemed like we did a poor job of this last season.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
from AJC
Former Tech star B.J. Elder, who has been the team's associate director of player personnel since 2019, will move up to the coaching staff on an interim basis, which will enable him to coach players during offseason workouts and also take part in off-campus recruiting.
Oh, well he has GT on his resume so that automatically moves him to the front of the line since he has GT on his resume.

That appears to be the only requirement with new hires these days.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
It will be interesting to see this replacement. BJ (my favorite GT player ever) makes the most sense given his connections but I don’t know anything of his coaching ability.

Hardy leaving was the biggest blow to the program under CJP IMHO but this will hurt. There are so many Atlanta connected guys out in the ether right now and there is no way GT offers enough to lure them away. This is bad for us, we won’t pay the recruiters and just lost our best developer.