Coach Prime to Colorado

NorthAvenueNation

Jolly Good Fellow
Colorado couldn’t afford Deion either. Aren’t we supposed to gamble? I’m a ramblin, fiscally responsible, helluva engineer just doesn’t have the same ring to it.
I’m not privy to Colorados past and financials. If they are still paying for multiple coaches and in the hole, then yes, you’re correct!

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
First let me admit that I'm not the biggest fan of Deion. I agree with the earlier post that he seems to be all about himself. I think his track record speaks for itself.

I will admit that he has already accomplished more at Colorado than I thought (and probably hoped) he would this year. I'd say we'll see how big of a win TCU turns out to be at the end of the season, but coming from where Colorado was, I think it's going to be a big win regardless of how TCU turns out.

That being said, I still don't see it happening that fast at GT. Maybe eventually if he actually stayed around long enough. I'm fairly certain he couldn't have brought all of his "Louis" with him to GT. Could he have gotten enough approved to improve the GT product? Probably, but that's a pretty low bar based on the previous regime.

I feel like Deion would have tired of the GT environment pretty quickly and moved on sooner than he may at Colorado. For potential long-term stability (which should correlate to success), I think Key was the choice. For potential quick, big-bang impact with uncertainty in the near future, maybe it should have been Deion.

But I'm sticking with Key and giving him a chance to prove he was the guy.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
This is a pay to read article, and I will not copy and paste it wholesale, but it is a great article that talks about the kind of human being Coach Prime is.

I will post a pertinent bit. P{rime is beloved by almost anyone he has ever played with. He may be great at branding himself, but he's an even better human being.

"...things were not as smooth in the Cincinnati Reds clubhouse, where emotions were still raw from the pain of the 1994-95 players’ strike. Now, Sanders was among a group of big leaguers who listened as the team’s general manager shared his plans to promote a scab — the term widely used for players who had broken ranks during the strike.

Sanders, the star of all stars, had little outward motivation to be concerned about the plight of people like Rick Reed, then a 30-year-old journeyman pitcher who would later be known as “the poor man’s Greg Maddux.” At this moment, only the first part of that descriptor proved accurate, which is why Reed crossed the picket line.

But soon it was July and the Reds were desperate for arms. With Reed pitching well at Triple A, the solution was obvious. But the situation was so touchy that then-Reds general manager Jim Bowden called a team meeting to announce what would otherwise have been a routine roster move.

In the back of the clubhouse, at least one player stood up and declared that he would refuse to share the field with a scab.

Then someone else stood up. As Sanders was known to do, he made his opinion loud and clear.

“You know what? You have no idea what that man went through, what he’s going through, so how can you sit here and judge him?” Sanders said in the version of the story that got back to Reed. That account was later confirmed by Bowden.

“I never had a player in any clubhouse that cared more about winning and his teammates than Deion,” said Bowden, now a columnist at The Athletic. “He did more to help other players both on and off the field more than anyone else I’d ever had.”"

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Not sure why every week his opponent's head coach feels compelled to say something derogatory about Deion, but if I am Deion I would use everything I can to motivate my team to play as hard as they can.
If you're asked about the opposing coach literally 100x more than you normally are... odds are good you'll say something Coach Prime can use. That said... don't bring momma & how you dress into it. Lolol.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Not sure why every week his opponent's head coach feels compelled to say something derogatory about Deion, but if I am Deion I would use everything I can to motivate my team to play as hard as they can.

Seems like week 1 theme was make it out like nobody gave his son and hunter a chance which is silly. Everyone knows that they were not the typical HBC recruits. Hunter could’ve went anywhere in the country he wanted. Sanders was a 4*. So that was capping there.

Week 2 seemed like he tried to create drama with Rhule when nothing was actually there. Maybe it was misunderstood on both ends but whole thing seemed silly.

Now this week I’ll grant that the c-state coach made a dumb quote to fuel this week’s drama.

Seems exhausting to need that much “ammo” just to get motivated .

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
Tech would possibly have been 3-0 if our receivers were half as good as these Colorado State receivers in holding onto the ball.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
I think it’s time that we focus solely on current GT players and our staff. We have made strides and have room for growth. I not sure there’s anything productive about chasing after what may have or could have been if we hired A B or C. We need to have a laser focused approach to getting the best out of what we have and not be worried about everyone else. Let’s take all of our focus as a fan base and pour it into supporting our coaches and current players. Let all the previous hc candidates and former players who chose to transfer out of GT. Just let them go. It makes us as a fan base look petty and not thankful for these players who bleed white and gold and put it all on the line for GT. Go Jackets and here’s to getting better each week! On a side note Colorado State is giving Deion more than enough trouble so time will tell as they move into the real meat of their schedule. GO JACKETS!

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
While we dropped a couple of fire sure TDs, I’m not sure I agree with you.
Only looking at the for sure TDs (and there were several in just 2 games) ignores all the for sure 1st downs of which there were also many. We would certainly have won the Louisville game with holding onto the ball better. Ole Miss is more of a stretch, but entering the 3rd quarter with a lead might have been a very different 2nd half.

Of course, having a better defense is much better, but in terms of what is easier to achieve, holding onto the ball is far more common and easier to achieve than getting an above average defense, something Tech hasn’t had in 1.5 decades.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
For as much negative attention Jay Norvell and Colorado State got this week, they look like the better team. They’re physical, they’re aggressive, and they sure as hell ain’t backing down from a much more talented team on paper. They’re getting a ton of pressure on Shadeur and they’re stepping up big time on offense. Their receivers are catching everything, and they are not afraid to be aggressive with their play calling, especially on 3rd down. Norvell did really well at a pretty bad Nevada program, and looks poised to bring a CSU program that’s been terrible recently back to respectable. At 60 years old there’s a chance he might get a shot at a P5 school in the next year or so if he keeps winning at CSU. For reference Willie Fritz is 63.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
GT played it safe. That's what we did.
I totally agree and, imo, it was 100% both directly related to the previous screwup on the former guy and also certainly justifiable. That mistake was so egregious that the current Prez andAD were indeed forced to play it safe. We tend to forget things when we look backwards.

Missing with another guy who didn't look/talk/sound like " a football coach", or "all sizzle, no steak" to put it another way ,would have been the final nail in the coffin for our program. To assume that a positive outcome would have happened is rather naive because if you look at the history of programs like OSU, Bama, UF, USC, etc. the selection of the right guy is more a crap shoot and not a science. Coaches with better resumes than what Deion brought to the table have turned out to be duds. Now, if he is successful in Boulder, there will NOT be as much risk involved for his next employer as Colorado took hiring him directly from Jackson State.

WTBS, I don't think "safe" necessarily = 'wrong" or "bad". I don't think there is enough data yet to support any firm position in the conversation around these two guys.