Coach Prime to Colorado

JacketFan137

Banned
Season tickets are up a ton, and there is a ton of excitement, but early on I saw some writers say Colorado may still be spending well into the red even with that.
they hired him under the assumption the money would come in the future and as of right now it looks like that will probably be the case.

i don’t pretend to know where they were financially before they hired him so i’m not sure if tech could have made the same offer (considering the 9 figures of debt the athletic department has) but i definitely feel like he would be a massive shot in the arm to any program.

i don’t mind accepting that financially we couldn’t make it happen but i just like getting to be smug since people on here were CONVINCED he was a disaster hire for whatever reason (not limited to the swarm this includes plenty of national media)

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Where did Colorado of all teams find the money? They've had two winning seasons since 2005.

Deion signed a $29.5 million dollar deal. Since he was hired, Colorado Athletics has received $28 million dollars in donations, not counting their record breaking season ticket sales. The hype essentially paid for itself. Would that have happened here is a legitimate question. One’s mind can’t help but wonder, especially considering a lot of people OUTSIDE of GT fandom talked about how him coming here, back to ATL, would be compelling.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Soooo your point is?
I don't get the ultra hype because Colorado won a game by 3 points and the disgust that we lost a game by 5 points. First game of the season has no bearing on how the team will finish.
Folks just need to chill out.

They were 20 point underdogs on the road and beat a team that was in the college football playoff last year. It’s incredibly impressive and a little more than “won a game by 3 points”. I say that as someone who got his wish for our coach(Key).

JacketFan137

Banned
They were 20 point underdogs on the road and beat a team that was in the college football playoff last year. It’s incredibly impressive and a little more than “won a game by 3 points”. I say that as someone who got his wish for our coach(Key).
i would also add that if anyone watched that game their takeaway would be that this is a well coached colorado team. their offense was humming and their players go fast. ball to the ref everybody moving to get in formation asap. they also made some really timely open field tackles on some screens and quick hitting passes. i don’t think they are playoff bound this year but if deion can keep his son at qb and travis hunter for one more season, this team may be a serious problem

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
Soooo your point is?
I don't get the ultra hype because Colorado won a game by 3 points and the disgust that we lost a game by 5 points. First game of the season has no bearing on how the team will finish.
Folks just need to chill out.

It’s not about one game; it’s about money and optics. It’s hard to make it though a commercial break without seeing him on TV. They had 45k at their spring game and sell out season tickets. That was prior to Saturday…

slugboy

Staff member
Gotta give Deion his due...his team looked GOOD. I wasn't high on him on this level, and there's still a LONG way to go the rest of this season, but that was a statement game for him and Colorado. His QB son looked like a QB that could probably play for a lot of upper tier teams. His kids battled for him, and he was very humble at the end of the game.

We'll see how the rest of the season turns out for him, but the first game was exciting and they have a quite a few kids who will play on Sunday. His team definitely showing they are must watch TV for college fans.
He probably would have done really well here, and filled up the dome.

He has a ton of doubters—I’ve seen some predictions for a losing season. He’s jumped into the new reality of semi-pro with transfers and NIL with both feet, and he’s ready for the new era of CFB. He looks like he’s gonna do well.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
He’s a proven winner in whatever he’s undertaken in life. That tells me a lot about a person’s ability to achieve. I was hoping so badly that we would hire him bc I knew he would be a program changer. Not sure what happened in our talks with him or if they even progressed very far. Key was the next best option in my opinion but I would not expect any quick results. It will be a while to achieve his ceiling and not sure what that ceiling will ultimately look like.

Jacket0323

Jolly Good Fellow
I had no doubt Deion was a good coach who could jump start most any program. The only question was culture fit. Look at the players he got in the portal as well as players he’s recruited. How many of those players would have any interest in a school like Tech, let alone be able to get in?

By the way, I was on the bandwagon to bring him here.
And how long would/will he stay?? If Colorado gets turned in 3rd season.... Deion is GONE....

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
And how long would/will he stay?? If Colorado gets turned in 3rd season.... Deion is GONE....
Deion could have his pick of places at that point.

Where would he go?

A place that reminds him of his glory days like FSU? A perennial southern power, like Alabama? A pro debut in Atlanta by first trying out Tech or Ga State? A place with year round sunshine like USC? A place with buckets of alumni money like Ohio State?

And who will have an opening / be desperate enough / think he is a long term solution for them / have high enough salary?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

He has a ton of doubters—I’ve seen some predictions for a losing season. He’s jumped into the new reality of semi-pro with transfers and NIL with both feet, and he’s ready for the new era of CFB. He looks like he’s gonna do well.
After his post game press conference, where some sports writers were doubters, he was heard to say, “I keep receipts.”

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Deion could have his pick of places at that point.

Where would he go?

A place that reminds him of his glory days like FSU? A perennial southern power, like Alabama? A pro debut in Atlanta by first trying out Tech or Ga State? A place with year round sunshine like USC? A place with buckets of alumni money like Ohio State?

And who will have an opening / be desperate enough / think he is a long term solution for them / have high enough salary?
Not sure about FSU, he seems to have a grudge against them these days.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I think GT is different environment than CO. Not saying he wouldn't do well here, just saying it's not as easy to completely turn over the roster at GT as it is at CO. He basically got rid of CO's entire roster and replaced everyone.

Will be interesting to see how CO does next week against Nebraska. Rhule is a defensive coach, but his offense I don't think will be able to keep up with CO's. CO also has game tape everyone can scout.

BTW...CO's DC is Charles Kelly. Our once former DB/Interim DC.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He’s a proven winner in whatever he’s undertaken in life. That tells me a lot about a person’s ability to achieve. I was hoping so badly that we would hire him bc I knew he would be a program changer. Not sure what happened in our talks with him or if they even progressed very far. Key was the next best option in my opinion but I would not expect any quick results. It will be a while to achieve his ceiling and not sure what that ceiling will ultimately look like.

I just read that when CO signed Deion, CO did not have the budget to pay his contract. The CO community stepped up and donated enough to cover his entire contract. Also, CO has sold the most season tickets they've ever sold in a season. Sometimes the right hire brings in the money. CO took a big risk hiring Deion, and so far that risk is turning into a big payoff.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I bought into "not yet" on when his approach to the Colorado gig would begin to bear fruit. I could not have been more wrong. I'm not saying they will win the PAC12 & TCU might prove to be a significantly lessor team than they were last year. But after 1 win last year... the upgrade will be major for 2023 certainly.

If you watched that game... you have to be impressed with way more than just the result. The team played disciplined... like they've been together longer than a few months. AND ... he has some true studs on the field in difference making positions.

The way he manages to "lead" by walking the line between the "PRIMETIME" schtik without it manifesting itself with the kids on his team is impressive. I became a fan yesterday and he's managed to make CFB in 2023 more compelling all by himself.

Getting ahead of things... but he's already a HOFer as college AND NFL player. What next?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Let's let Deion establish a record before we anoint him the next Bear Bryant.
You’re right of course but I think the sentiment is that lesser programs, or down on their luck programs, have to take a chance on an “up and comer.” Once a great coach has proven himself it is too late for schools like Tech to compete for their talents.

The gamble on Deion has already paid off for Colorado. They will be flush with cash for a long time and Deion would have to lose five games in a row to kill the level of enthusiasm he has generated nationwide.

JacketFan137

Banned
Let's let Deion establish a record before we anoint him the next Bear Bryant.
the deion doomers that root against him for whatever reason are among the funniest posters on this board. they will probably go like 8-4 or something like that this season then turn out one of the top recruiting classes through the portal and incoming freshmen. yet we will still have people saying comments like this cause y’all want him to fail so bad lol