Coach Prime to Colorado

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Let's let Deion establish a record before we anoint him the next Bear Bryant.

I agree with your comment and still think Deion Sanders' style would have created major culture shock wave at Georgia Tech. Sanders is off to a quick start establishing a record of wins, roster turnover, sold out games, outlandish press conferences, and locker room bulletin board material. Even Jeff Sims gave Deion's Buffaloes a couple of gifts.

yellowfellow

Georgia Tech Fan
W
I had no doubt Deion was a good coach who could jump start most any program. The only question was culture fit. Look at the players he got in the portal as well as players he’s recruited. How many of those players would have any interest in a school like Tech, let alone be able to get in?

By the way, I was on the bandwagon to bring him here.
We're talking about athletes coming to ATL that's not a hard sale. Especially when most of the players he got are from the south. Way easier than transferring and making the trip to Colorado.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We're talking about athletes coming to ATL that's not a hard sale. Especially when most of the players he got are from the south. Way easier than transferring and making the trip to Colorado.
I wonder if the Hill would allow the wholesale house cleaning that happened at CU. I think there is still a sizable part of the BOT that sees these guys as students playing football. Not the inverse.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I haven't read through this thread so this may have been discussed already but I have often thought that Coach Prime to GT thing was hindered by the perceived similarities in styles between him and our former coach. Whether this perception is right or wrong is another discussion but another failure (assuming there WAS a failure with CDS) in choosing an "all hat, no cattle" persona would have been the ultimate PR disaster and the death knell for alumni support.

Key might not succeed in the long run but he looks and sounds like "a football coach". Nor is this to say Sanders would not have been successful here either but the downside risk was simply too high for Cabrera and Blatt. OTOH, if the guy picked to replace Johnson was the stereotypical looking and sounding head football coach, and had failed in similar fashion to TFG then I think Deion would have absolutely been the right hire at the right time.

So, in a nutshell, the timing was absolutely horrific for going with CDS during our coaching search. Which may or may not prove to be unfortunate in the long run.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I haven't read through this thread so this may have been discussed already but I have often thought that Coach Prime to GT thing was hindered by the perceived similarities in styles between him and our former coach. Whether this perception is right or wrong is another discussion but another failure (assuming there WAS a failure with CDS) in choosing an "all hat, no cattle" persona would have been the ultimate PR disaster and the death knell for alumni support.

Key might not succeed in the long run but he looks and sounds like "a football coach". Nor is this to say Sanders would not have been successful here either but the downside risk was simply too high for Cabrera and Blatt. OTOH, if the guy picked to replace Johnson was the stereotypical looking and sounding head football coach, and had failed in similar fashion to TFG then I think Deion would have absolutely been the right hire at the right time.

So, in a nutshell, the timing was absolutely horrific for going with CDS during our coaching search. Which may or may not prove to be unfortunate in the long run.
Is CDS in the Football forum meant to be Deion? It refers to our basketball coach in the other forum. We need to establish an "official" Swarm abbreviation and meme dictionary.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
Big bets go both ways but so far theirs is paying off… I read that last week’s game brought in $18M to Boulder. And it looks like they still have the highest average ticket price on 3rd party markets, e.g, StubHub, this season.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Big bets go both ways but so far theirs is paying off… I read that last week’s game brought in $18M to Boulder. And it looks like they still have the highest average ticket price on 3rd party markets, e.g, StubHub, this season.
I’m going to the Stanford game - couldn’t believe how expensive my ticket was. I could sell it for over double on resale markets right now.

JacketFan137

Banned
I wonder if the Hill would allow the wholesale house cleaning that happened at CU. I think there is still a sizable part of the BOT that sees these guys as students playing football. Not the inverse.
i don’t think we would have needed such a drastic change. he brought a lot with him and would have brought a lot to us but we were not a 1 win team. collins might have blown out colorado last year they were that bad

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
After TFG was thankfully (mercifully) relieved of his command, there was a LOT of discussion about who should take the helm of the Yellow Jackets.

One popular choice was Deion Sanders who is currently the talk of the college football world. Nonetheless, I think we made the better choice with CBK.

CBK is all about Georgia Tech. IMO, Sanders is all about Sanders. I just can't shake the feeling that Deion is mostly interested in promoting himself as a brand. And I am skeptical that he will be coaching at Colorado once his son declares for the NFL.

So, yeah, the Buffs will have a good run, but it's going to be short-lived. In contrast, CBK will bleed white and gold until the day he dies.

IOW, he's one of us.

Go Jackets!

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
After TFG was thankfully (mercifully) relieved of his command, there was a LOT of discussion about who should take the helm of the Yellow Jackets.

One popular choice was Deion Sanders who is currently the talk of the college football world. Nonetheless, I think we made the better choice with CBK.

CBK is all about Georgia Tech. IMO, Sanders is all about Sanders. I just can't shake the feeling that Deion is mostly interested in promoting himself as a brand. And I am skeptical that he will be coaching at Colorado once his son declares for the NFL.

So, yeah, the Buffs will have a good run, but it's going to be short-lived. In contrast, CBK will bleed white and gold until the day he dies.

IOW, he's one of us.

Go Jackets!
No one knows. Hard to say anything bad about Deion or Colorado so far this season. They are the darling of college football.

Big opportunity for GT today. Win and we get attention. Lose and it’s a crappy ACC team loses to the SEC

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m not sold yet. We paid a search firm and ended up hiring an internal guy who couldn’t coach his own position.

You can’t watch TV without seeing the other guy on it. Hype and sizzle can sell tickets, fill stadiums and get recruits before results.

Time will tell with results. I want Key to succeed since he’s our coach. It’s hard not to wonder what we’d look like with Deion given better initial players and being in a much bigger market… I’d love to know if we ever seriously pursued him.

NorthAvenueNation

Jolly Good Fellow
Sanders: Popular, expensive, no P5 experience, and short-term solution.

Chadwell: Younger, a bit cheaper, no experience in P5.

Fritz: Experienced, a bit expensive, would right the ship but is older coach

Key: Good age, some experience in P5 already, former player, watched for 4 years what really needed to happen.

In the end, I personally would have been fine with any of the four coaches above. Ultimately, I would have chosen Key or Chadwell if it were up to me (but thank God I’m not the AD 🤣)

IMHO, 2 seasons from now, we will be thankful that Key was the decision. I believe he will revive wins, tradition, toughness, and discipline; all why graduating young men from Tech.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Sanders was not in serious consideration here, plus GT would have NEVER allowed Sanders to clear the roster and bring in a whole new team like he did at Colorado so Sanders wouldn't have come to GT.

This scenario is moot from the start. Might as well have said, what if GT hired Saban/Kiffin/Riley/whatever coach instead of retaining Key.

Sanders is exactly where he needs to be to do what he wants to make his team successful, and GT got the coach that fit within our parameters at the time.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I've never doubted that Sanders was a good choice for Colorado and will be quite successful there. I don't think he was a possibility at Georgia Tech, because:
(a) We didn't have the money, and...
(b) He wouldn't have come here due to our somewhat restricted recruiting based on academics.

Deion fits in much better at Colorado. We have our coach, and he's the right coach for Tech.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Pundits already speculating on his next head coaching job. Once his very talented kid is gone, he may not be quite so successful. His kid is a player!!

NorthAvenueNation

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m not sold yet. We paid a search firm and ended up hiring an internal guy who couldn’t coach his own position.

You can’t watch TV without seeing the other guy on it. Hype and sizzle can sell tickets, fill stadiums and get recruits before results.

Time will tell with results. I want Key to succeed since he’s our coach. It’s hard not to wonder what we’d look like with Deion given better initial players and being in a much bigger market… I’d love to know if we ever seriously pursued him.
I think that’s a good point that Prime would’ve gotten some real good ATL and Georgia talent to transfer and commit. I too am curious if we ever pursued him or at least made a call. If I had to guess, I’d say no. With Batts and Key having the Bama connection and Batts knowing that financially Key was the best decision, I’d say he probably knew we wouldn’t be able to afford Prime.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
I think that’s a good point that Prime would’ve gotten some real good ATL and Georgia talent to transfer and commit. I too am curious if we ever pursued him or at least made a call. If I had to guess, I’d say no. With Batts and Key having the Bama connection and Batts knowing that financially Key was the best decision, I’d say he probably knew we wouldn’t be able to afford Prime.

Colorado couldn’t afford Deion either. Aren’t we supposed to gamble? I’m a ramblin, fiscally responsible, helluva engineer just doesn’t have the same ring to it.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Much too early to tell, I think.

What Deion has done at Colorado so far is impressive. Bringing in heralded players, selling out the stadium and winning (albeit 2 games) at a program that was flailing for a long time. I have to think the commitment the University showed financially in getting Deion there was a big part of them getting re-invited to the Big12 and being ahead of the Pac12 collapse. BUT, everyone and their cousins thinks Deion will jump ship to the first Big10/SEC/FSU power that comes calling. And all his players and recruits will follow him out the door. As will the attention, eyeballs and money. If he builds a great program, he'll take it with him. Leaving Colorado back where they started, or worse. Or maybe we're all wrong and he decides he loves mountain living and retires there after adding a bunch to their trophy case.

Key. We haven't seen anything yet. Personally, I feel good about the direction of the program. I believe he's a competent coach and has a good staff. But is he a difference-maker? I don't know. Chan was a competent coach and had a good staff. He turned out consistent ok to good teams. CPJ and GOL were difference makers. TFG was a difference maker in the wrong ways. Can Key build a great program? I don't know. But if he does, he'll build a great program at Tech for Tech.

As for who I'd rather Tech have hired. it is fun to dream of BDS sold out and all the attention, eyeballs and money on Atlanta. Maybe a B1G invite. The best players in the country coming to Atlanta to play for Primetime... But that was never going to be Tech. Key was the best choice for what Tech is, IMHO.