Coach Prime to Colorado

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If you were promised a 4 year scholarship to play football at Colorado it would not sit well with kids who did their part and still lost the scholarship. I know. Life ain't fair. But, some of us expect contracts to be honored.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Why is it so egregious to cut players from college teams? Team sports have always cut kids (with the most popular being Michael Jordan being cut from his high school hoops team), but for some reason it’s an inalienable right that you can’t be cut from a college football team.
Sigh ok. Your example is like comparing apples to trains. When this happened MJ wasn't on the team. MJ didn't make the cut for his VARSITY team. He still played at Laney, just on the junior varsity team. He still went to the same school, had the same friends, even went to the same practices as the varsity.
I dont know if you know this, but cutting a football player at a major college results in that player losing his scholarship and having to transfer to another school against his wishes. Leaving a place he might love. His gf would either go with him or that relationship is over. Suppose the kid really did enjoy his professors and classes, welp thats over now.
Quitting or transferring on his own accord is one thing, but getting cut is another.
And as a professional player, the organizations are very professional about it and help the players out (watch any episode of Hard Knocks). Rumors went so deep that CU wouldn't even release film from an 1-11 team for the cut players to send to other coaches that they had to release a statement that they would comply with any all requests going forward.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
Sigh ok. Your example is like comparing apples to trains. When this happened MJ wasn't on the team. MJ didn't make the cut for his VARSITY team. He still played at Laney, just on the junior varsity team. He still went to the same school, had the same friends, even went to the same practices as the varsity.
I dont know if you know this, but cutting a football player at a major college results in that player losing his scholarship and having to transfer to another school against his wishes. Leaving a place he might love. His gf would either go with him or that relationship is over. Suppose the kid really did enjoy his professors and classes, welp thats over now.
Quitting or transferring on his own accord is one thing, but getting cut is another.
And as a professional player, the organizations are very professional about it and help the players out (watch any episode of Hard Knocks). Rumors went so deep that CU wouldn't even release film from an 1-11 team for the cut players to send to other coaches that they had to release a statement that they would comply with any all requests going forward.
Ok, apples and trains with Jordan. The main point was that kids are cut from high school teams all of the time. Not sure why it's all of a sudden a problem in college.

Scholarships are not a right; playing college football is not a right. Going to a specific college you love, that your girlfriend attends and/or that your parents graduated from are not rights. Lots of kids go to ga schools on Hope scholarship. Many lose these scholarships because they can't maintain grades. Some may need to transfer to a cheaper school or get loans to pay for school or get a job to pay for school or quit school altogether. Some have girlfriends at these schools too or it has been a life long dream to go to these schools. But God forbid a football player gets cut and loses his scholarship. At least for some football players, they can transfer to another school and quite possibly pick up a scholarship and continue their education.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The approach coaches take with the portal and maintaining Locker room chemistry is interesting. When I played sports the closest I came to “college athletics” like feeling was my rugby club. We had an extensive network of “old boys” who played previously and remained dues paying members to support and mentor and grow the clubs and players. There was a real sense of brotherhood that far outweighed my traveling soccer and swim team experience because you literally had generational connection to the history of the club.

I loved that. I am curious how the newer “mercenary-like” approach some coaches are taking with NIL guys and transfers will effect the camaraderie and esprit de corps that helped us dig deeper in games and practice to support and back up our brothers on the team.

That’s something I like about CBK’s approach so far - he seems to be willing to bring in transfers but isn’t going to bet the farm on them. Growing and retaining players makes sense to me and I see the portal as a good way to balance class size/positions of players who don’t work out. Not necessarily flip rosters and win out repeatedly.
Yeah, that’s a good way to put it. There’s a difference between bringing in a portal guy and saying, “Welcome to the team,” and bringing in a portal guy and saying to the guys who are veterans, “Thank goodness our new team has arrived.”

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ados-football-roster-a-sign-of-whats-to-come/

Just dropping this here. Apologize if this link was buried elsewhere but I didn’t see it.
Long and short of it... whatever you think of Deion’s approach, get used to it
Yep. Alabama did this for years, they just did it in a smoother, slicker fashion. But the goal was the same. Get rid of players you don’t need until your roster is only filled with the players you want. The difference between Saban and Deion, other than style, is that Saban started his rosters with a lot more four and five star players. Deion has a longer route to get there, hence needing to cut more players.

I don’t like it but it seems hypocritical to criticize Sanders for doing what the factories have done for years. Now that we see this approach in the light of day with its naked ruthlessness we need to question the system not a coach who figured out really quickly how the game is played.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Yep. Alabama did this for years, they just did it in a smoother, slicker fashion. But the goal was the same. Get rid of players you don’t need until your roster is only filled with the players you want. The difference between Saban and Deion, other than style, is that Saban started his rosters with a lot more four and five star players. Deion has a longer route to get there, hence needing to cut more players.

I don’t like it but it seems hypocritical to criticize Sanders for doing what the factories have done for years. Now that we see this approach in the light of day with its naked ruthlessness we need to question the system not a coach who figured out really quickly how the game is played.
You’re right... at least now the kids they are pushing out have a chance to leave without losing eligibility. That was unfairly punitive to kids who Saban and the like pushed out.
It’s just a crappy recurring theme that college football continues to move toward “legalizing” the worst aspects of a handful of programs as opposed to actually trying to hold everyone to the higher standard. When having standards effects profitability, we know what wins out.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
They looked pretty good today. Sure TCU has regressed, but Colorado won straight up on the road as a 21 point underdog today. Can’t help but wonder how we did last night in the parallel universe where we landed him.
Yeah, Sanders looks like the real deal. TCU fans got to be disappointed since they thought the team might be better this year.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
They looked pretty good today. Sure TCU has regressed, but Colorado won straight up on the road as a 21 point underdog today. Can’t help but wonder how we did last night in the parallel universe where we landed him.
Sold out Mercedes Benz for one- Travis Hunter wearing a GT helmet- probably a win for GT as well for the Deion homecoming game in the parallel universe.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Gotta give Deion his due...his team looked GOOD. I wasn't high on him on this level, and there's still a LONG way to go the rest of this season, but that was a statement game for him and Colorado. His QB son looked like a QB that could probably play for a lot of upper tier teams. His kids battled for him, and he was very humble at the end of the game.

We'll see how the rest of the season turns out for him, but the first game was exciting and they have a quite a few kids who will play on Sunday. His team definitely showing they are must watch TV for college fans.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Where did Colorado of all teams find the money? They've had two winning seasons since 2005.
I would think they will have a huge crowd for their home opener next week as they host Nebraska. Probably can pay his salary from the increase in home attendance form that game alone

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I had no doubt Deion was a good coach who could jump start most any program. The only question was culture fit. Look at the players he got in the portal as well as players he’s recruited. How many of those players would have any interest in a school like Tech, let alone be able to get in?

By the way, I was on the bandwagon to bring him here.