Coach Prime to Colorado

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Out here in Colorado there is a newspaper article tonight that Deion Sanders has already rescinded the scholarships of 9 different recruits. What makes it worse is those recruits were promised last week that their scholarships would be honored regardless of who would be named head coach. After hearing this I'm glad he was never considered for our HC position. This and other sleazy tactics like gray shirting are no way to teach young men. I'm sure someone will bring up how players decommit all the time. Maybe if they weren't subjected to tactics like these they would learn the value of honoring your commitment.
College football is now a business. The players, maybe not the 9 with rescinded scholarship offers, wanted it this way with NIL & lawsuits claiming they're employees and entitled to pay and benefits. College football players will now get as much loyalty as you get when you're in the real world- you're only as good as you were yesterday.

Deion's just leading the charge here. Heckle him all we want but in 5 years what he's doing is going to be standard practice. We've now moving 100% to a performance based business and if they don't perform and draw the crowds, they're going to be subject to the axe just like the rest of us that don't own their companies.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
There's a reason why I said I would cease to be a fan if he had been hired here. He is a great example of what's wrong with our culture and a terrible example of a human being: dishonest, vain, materialistic, disloyal, self-centered, arrogant, egotistical, anti-intellectual, unsportsmanlike, disrespectful.

It's terrible that they lost their scholarships, but now maybe they will have an opportunity to go play football and learn from a real man somewhere else.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Blah, blah, blah, this happens everywhere. Yeah, but it is just what I would expect out of Deion. It's all about him.

JacketFan137

Banned
i see this as more of an issue with whoever promised them their scholarship would be honored. they were writing a check they simply could not cash. i would imagine this was deions intention the whole way and if the school was doing their due diligence this should have been asked in the interview process and they could have either told him that was a no go or moved to a different candidate.

i just don’t see how this is a problem in anyway. these kids had p5 offers. unless it’s a legacy situation college football will find a place for them somewhere

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
It’s all well and good to honor scholarships, but one look at our 2019 class and both parties would have been better to part ways.

Yondo, Leonard and Douse are the only three left standing from that class. 3 out of 22 ended their careers at GT.

Whomever offered the CU recruits to keep their scholarships was obviously speaking out of turn, and did not have the authority to do that.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
AND, word is that over 200 portal athletes have reached out to Deion and Colorado. That is more than 2 full rosters, not counting the talent he brings from JSU. So, if he were here and had the pick of the best of 200 athletes from the portal and wanted to cut the lousy 2-3 star commits that he never promised anything, would you be complaining then? This is a business, and the days of college sports amateurism and altruism are over. They aren't paying him $5m to have kids sitting the bench (wasting time getting an education) and taking up scholarships because the last coach made a bad decision on an offer.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
AND, word is that over 200 portal athletes have reached out to Deion and Colorado. That is more than 2 full rosters, not counting the talent he brings from JSU. So, if he were here and had the pick of the best of 200 athletes from the portal and wanted to cut the lousy 2-3 star commits that he never promised anything, would you be complaining then? This is a business, and the days of college sports amateurism and altruism are over. They aren't paying him $5m to have kids sitting the bench (wasting time getting an education) and taking up scholarships because the last coach made a bad decision on an offer.
Sadly the truth!

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
And this may be ultimate commentary on the state of collegiate "amateur" athletics...

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It's strange. Like folks don't realize a lot of the things this guy's doing, that folks call unsavory, are being done by our own coaching staff.

This isn't me calling our guys out, just highlighting that some things are just how things are done in the process of taking over a new place.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
It's strange. Like folks don't realize a lot of the things this guy's doing, that folks call unsavory, are being done by our own coaching staff.

This isn't me calling our guys out, just highlighting that some things are just how things are done in the process of taking over a new place.
Exactly! Case in point, a lot of posters should check out the thread for Jarvis Lee our recent decommit who said the staff asked him to decommit.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Who promised them? It works both ways…recruits will jump at the last minute at a better offer. Deion is trying to take a team that has been in the cellar for 20 years into relevance. He should be allowed to build his own team in doing so and not forced to take recruits who won’t fit his team. It would be a bigger disjustice to take them knowing they would probably have to hit the portal in a year.
They were promised by the athletic director who is Sanders' boss that their scholarships would be honored.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Exactly! Case in point, a lot of posters should check out the thread for Jarvis Lee our recent decommit who said the staff asked him to decommit.
Then shame on us. I don't care who does it. If these young men are not good enough for your school then don't offer them in the first place.

JacketFan137

Banned
They were promised by the athletic director who is Sanders' boss that their scholarships would be honored.
then that’s on the AD. either he needs to step in and say they have to stay or he should have asked what deions plans were before making a handshake deal with them.

at the end of the day though i think this is the merciful thing to do. or else you’ll end up with people like on this forum that bitched about paul’s recruits not playing enough or being shunned by collins.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
then that’s on the AD. either he needs to step in and say they have to stay or he should have asked what deions plans were before making a handshake deal with them.

at the end of the day though i think this is the merciful thing to do. or else you’ll end up with people like on this forum that bitched about paul’s recruits not playing enough or being shunned by collins.
Agreed it is ultimately on the AD to hold up the commitment he made to those young men. But I seriously doubt it was his idea to get rid of those 9 players. That had to have come from Primetime. The AD just didn't have the balls to say "No, I gave my word to these young men". So I doubt this happens if Deion doesn't tell him they have to go.