Coach Prime to Colorado

JacketFan137

Banned
It’s going to be incredibly hard to have any-kind of team cohesion with a roster full of transfers and new recruits
i mean they were arguably the worst p5 team last year and went 1-11. im not sure they had any cohesion with a roster full of players they coached and developed. deion is making the right decision. they need talent in there ASAP. you can figure out the rest later

Mattmc10

Jolly Good Fellow
USC also has Lincoln Riley who's an offensive savant and has successful track record at a P5 school...not just any P5 school, but a blue blood P5 school.

I also doubt Colorado and Deion are swimming in the same NIL pool as USC and Riley. Riley got one of the best QBs, one of the WRs to follow him to USC.

If Deion gets Colorado to a bowl game I would consider that a very successful first year for him. There's definitely buzz there, but if he doesn't win that buzz will die off. Will be very interesting to see how the QB situation plays out...he basically told the college football world the QB job was his son's job to lose. Knowing that, can they attract a good enough QB there in case his son doesn't pan out on this level, or gets hurt? I think he did really well getting Kent State's HFC to go to Colorado to become the OC. This will be interesting to watch play out over the next few years. TOTALLY different environment coaching at the PAC 12 level versus coaching at JSU.
I will be stunned if Colorado isn’t in a bowl game next year. We saw how much small tweaks can win games this past year. Getting to 6-6 isn’t a huge deal. It would take his son being a bust at QB to not get to 6-6.

I say that then I look up their schedule and their AD did them no favors. 9 game conference schedule plus Nebraska, TCU, and Colorado State.

I still think he goes bowling.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
I will be stunned if Colorado isn’t in a bowl game next year. We saw how much small tweaks can win games this past year. Getting to 6-6 isn’t a huge deal. It would take his son being a bust at QB to not get to 6-6.

I say that then I look up their schedule and their AD did them no favors. 9 game conference schedule plus Nebraska, TCU, and Colorado State.

I still think he goes bowling.
We were #30 on the team talent composite index. Colorado was #63. I think it's fair to say that they're facing a different set of challenges than we were.

JacketFan137

Banned
We were #30 on the team talent composite index. Colorado was #63. I think it's fair to say that they're facing a different set of challenges than we were.
i think that number will look a lot different post signing day and recruiting the portal. if you believe the rumors they are basically gonna be getting the pick of the litter

JacketFan137

Banned
BUT, didn't we believe we were hiring that? The lion's share of reasons for Collins was the personnel he would be bringing. Did we see it as the right thing to do, because thats what we wanted to see? It was the first chink in the armor and we just thought it was "honorable?"
this just sounds like another attempt to dump on collins and the hire that we’ve heard a million times over but i’ll bite lol

there was an improvement and we did swing a few recruits late in the cycle like jamious griffin. he also did pull our highest rated recruiting class in a while for his 2020 group. he failed to develop players and he didn’t gain any momentum and sustain the recruiting classes and that was why we did worse and worse recruiting

now deion has the immediate bump and i think his name will have significantly more pull even if they struggle early. henry and his son are coming and they are very much the real deal and will be good at this level. the fact he also has a much better staff just leads me to believe this is not really remotely comparable to collins

bennyjacket

Jolly Good Fellow

This might be a big success, or it will blow up really bad. Sounds like Colorado found the $$$$ to commit to his vision.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
this just sounds like another attempt to dump on collins and the hire that we’ve heard a million times over but i’ll bite lol

there was an improvement and we did swing a few recruits late in the cycle like jamious griffin. he also did pull our highest rated recruiting class in a while for his 2020 group. he failed to develop players and he didn’t gain any momentum and sustain the recruiting classes and that was why we did worse and worse recruiting

now deion has the immediate bump and i think his name will have significantly more pull even if they struggle early. henry and his son are coming and they are very much the real deal and will be good at this level. the fact he also has a much better staff just leads me to believe this is not really remotely comparable to collins
Feeling conspiratorial this morning?

It’s a legit question… You assert that it’s OK for Deion to tell all of the current players to hit the portal because he’s bringing new guys. You say it’s honest / honorable position for him to take and moreover, that he is able to do it because people want to come play for him. You take it a step further and say we didn’t have that luxury (of kids wanting to play for Collins, presumably).
So, you’re saying two things about Collins:
  1. he may have been less than honest when he honored commitments and kept kids who would not play for him, and
  2. He didn’t have (or wasn’t confident in getting in short order) kids who wanted to play for him (though he is / was billed primarily as a recruiter)
So if anyone is dumping on Collins, I think it’s you...

My question still, is what is right? Clean house like Deion or honor scholarships / commitments like Collins? I still come down on the Collins side... take kids you’ve committed to. I recognize that the “big boy” programs take the Deion approach, but there are a lot of things the “big boys” do that we consider inappropriate. Is that morality or necessity? If we want to compete with the big boys, do we have to act like the big boys? Learning from our mistakes, should we be leery of a coach wanting to retain everyone because it’s the “right” thing to do?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
i think that number will look a lot different post signing day and recruiting the portal. if you believe the rumors they are basically gonna be getting the pick of the litter

I also think CDS will immediately improve the talent level there. It remains to be seen whether it will be enough to get to a bowl in year one. If the talent level is propped up with true freshmen and transfers with little experience in the system, then while the ranking looks good, it won't be as effective as they will in a year or two.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer

It’s a legit question… You assert that it’s OK for Deion to tell all of the current players to hit the portal because he’s bringing new guys. You say it’s honest / honorable position for him to take and moreover, that he is able to do it because people want to come play for him. You take it a step further and say we didn’t have that luxury (of kids wanting to play for Collins, presumably).
  1. he may have been less than honest when he honored commitments and kept kids who would not play for him, and
  2. He didn’t have (or wasn’t confident in getting in short order) kids who wanted to play for him (though he is / was billed primarily as a recruiter)

My question still, is what is right? Clean house like Deion or honor scholarships / commitments like Collins? I still come down on the Collins side... take kids you’ve committed to. I recognize that the “big boy” programs take the Deion approach, but there are a lot of things the “big boys” do that we consider inappropriate. Is that morality or necessity? If we want to compete with the big boys, do we have to act like the big boys? Learning from our mistakes, should we be leery of a coach wanting to retain everyone because it’s the “right” thing to do?
I'm intruding on what sounds like a private argument...but this IS a public forum, so... ;)

Maybe the correct tone/approach is neither that taken by TFG or by Coach Prime, but by CBK.

In effect, he is saying, "We're committed to working with the kids who have committed to Georgia Tech by helping them become the best football players, the best students, and the best men they possibly can be. That's what we're about."

Sounds right.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I'm intruding on what sounds like a private argument...but this IS a public forum, so... ;)

Maybe the correct tone/approach is neither that taken by TFG or by Coach Prime, but by CBK.

In effect, he is saying, "We're committed to working with the kids who have committed to Georgia Tech by helping them become the best football players, the best students, and the best men they possibly can be. That's what we're about."

Sounds right.
I agree with this, especially since Key isn't coming in cold. I was picking on the notion that it's OK for Deion and moreso that its an option we didn't have.

By no means a private conversation..... but for some reason I target @JacketFan137 a lot. That guy is either 100% right or 100% wrong. I never seem to be lukewarm on anything he posts. So provocative... :ROFLMAO:

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Having seen the whole introduction now, I think the original snippit was quite disingenuous. My take is Deion challenged the players to be more than they have been. When he said the portal's waiting, that was to those not willing to do what he sees as necessary to achieve what he plans to achieve. He then asked the group, and several individuals, if they were going to be there when he got back. He's setting the tone not kicking anyone out (yet).

I don't like the way he did it, but that's his style. I've never really liked his me-front approach, but he'll be successful or not because of his approach.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Having seen the whole introduction now, I think the original snippit was quite disingenuous. My take is Deion challenged the players to be more than they have been. When he said the portal's waiting, that was to those not willing to do what he sees as necessary to achieve what he plans to achieve. He then asked the group, and several individuals, if they were going to be there when he got back. He's setting the tone not kicking anyone out (yet).

I don't like the way he did it, but that's his style. I've never really liked his me-front approach, but he'll be successful or not because of his approach.
Yeah, my beef all along on this is not what he said, it's that he had to make a show out of it. It seemed very 'Deion-centric' at the expense of publically calling out the players.

I have a simple rule: Paise in public, Admonish in private.

Unless it's on GTSwarm, then the gloves are off! ;)

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, my beef all along on this is not what he said, it's that he had to make a show out of it. It seemed very 'Deion-centric' at the expense of publically calling out the players.

I have a simple rule: Paise in public, Admonish in private.

Unless it's on GTSwarm, then the gloves are off! ;)
Exactly! And he started out talking about promising his mom he would buy her a house. My takeaway from his speech was “I want things to go well for me, and I don’t care who needs to get thrown under the bus to make that happen. If I decide for any reason that you’re not useful to me, you’re toast.” I may not be a football player, so maybe I’m just wired differently, but I sure as heck wouldn’t want to go to war for someone who doesn’t have my back. I keep hearing people trying to contextualize Deion’s speech as “If you don’t want to work hard, there’s the door.” And I feel like I’m losing my sanity because that’s not the video I watched. And I watched the full 15-minute video.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Exactly! And he started out talking about promising his mom he would buy her a house. My takeaway from his speech was “I want things to go well for me, and I don’t care who needs to get thrown under the bus to make that happen. If I decide for any reason that you’re not useful to me, you’re toast.” I may not be a football player, so maybe I’m just wired differently, but I sure as heck wouldn’t want to go to war for someone who doesn’t have my back. I keep hearing people trying to contextualize Deion’s speech as “If you don’t want to work hard, there’s the door.” And I feel like I’m losing my sanity because that’s not the video I watched. And I watched the full 15-minute video.

I have had some good leaders in my day. My current boss is a wonderful leader at my day job. I have some good leaders working for me in a business I own. I have also seen bad leaders. Maybe football is different, but I would not be comfortable with his leadership.

And I was a fan of bringing him in at first.

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This is one issue I thought Deion would have is getting quality linemen. Even with all the portal players players reaching out, he’s still having to recruit on twitter. The skill kids are going to flock to him to learn from him.

JacketFan137

Banned

i can understand both sides in a way but personally i think i appreciate the honesty of sanders. the rumors going around is that they are gonna clean up in the portal and flip a ton of commitments on some big time recruits. is it fair to bring these previously committed high school recruits that he didn’t recruit on just so they can get to campus and see zero chance at playing time and just inevitably hit the portal the next year? this is also a december hire so there is still time in the cycle for those recruits from before to find another landing spot

had deion came in and done this post signing day maybe it would be bad but technically no one is committed to anyone yet.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Out here in Colorado there is a newspaper article tonight that Deion Sanders has already rescinded the scholarships of 9 different recruits. What makes it worse is those recruits were promised last week that their scholarships would be honored regardless of who would be named head coach. After hearing this I'm glad he was never considered for our HC position. This and other sleazy tactics like gray shirting are no way to teach young men. I'm sure someone will bring up how players decommit all the time. Maybe if they weren't subjected to tactics like these they would learn the value of honoring your commitment.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Who promised them? It works both ways…recruits will jump at the last minute at a better offer. Deion is trying to take a team that has been in the cellar for 20 years into relevance. He should be allowed to build his own team in doing so and not forced to take recruits who won’t fit his team. It would be a bigger disjustice to take them knowing they would probably have to hit the portal in a year.