Coach Prime to Colorado

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Too late for me to watch the whole game but what atmosphere for college ball. Need that back The Flats desperately.
I figured out how to get people to stand all game - put the first row of seats nearly at field level. It’s very cool how compact the sidelines are - the crowd feels right on top of the field.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
At this point it looks like Colorado has a chance at maybe 1 more win this season if they can beat Arizona, with their most impressive wins against 3-3 TCU and Nebraska teams. Had he been here, I'm not sure we would have managed more than 4 wins this season based on their performance so far.
It’s probably hard for some here to see Prime’s team collapse in such a fashion… such grotesque lapses in play / effort are unique to Key (and other really bad coaches) right? Might be a tough game for the “no such thing as momentum” guys too. ;)

I think you’re right with regard to their season. They will need a top 20 upset to get bowl eligible, and 3 of their 4 chances for that are on the road. They may get there… they have played well enough at times, but they haven’t beaten a team of that caliber yet.

JacketFan137

Banned
At this point it looks like Colorado has a chance at maybe 1 more win this season if they can beat Arizona, with their most impressive wins against 3-3 TCU and Nebraska teams. Had he been here, I'm not sure we would have managed more than 4 wins this season based on their performance so far.
probably depends on who he was able to bring. he would have been able to keep a lot more of techs players cause we were in a much better position with our roster than colorado. our o line and d line for all of our woes is honestly better than theirs at this point

their schedule also might be a lot tougher than ours when it’s all said and done. pac 12 looks so strong this year

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
probably depends on who he was able to bring. he would have been able to keep a lot more of techs players cause we were in a much better position with our roster than colorado. our o line and d line for all of our woes is honestly better than theirs at this point

their schedule also might be a lot tougher than ours when it’s all said and done. pac 12 looks so strong this year
Sure, there are a lot of unknown variables that could affect performance in one direction or the other, that we will ultimately never know, and my comments are strictly regarding this season - I would expect Colorado to improve in year 2 with CDS, both from the additional experience and going to an easier conference. Regarding our O-Line, the improvement we've seen there seems to be due to Key/Wade's coaching, who would likely not be here if CDS was. I haven't watched enough of Colorado play to comment on their d line - I know they have Domineck who looks to be performing decently, but no idea on the rest of their guys.

Right now our SOS is #28, Colorado is #55 but yes those will fluctuate. A lot of conference games left to be played, and of course winning tends to lower SOS while losing increases it.

slugboy

Staff member
Sure, there are a lot of unknown variables that could affect performance in one direction or the other, that we will ultimately never know, and my comments are strictly regarding this season - I would expect Colorado to improve in year 2 with CDS, both from the additional experience and going to an easier conference. Regarding our O-Line, the improvement we've seen there seems to be due to Key/Wade's coaching, who would likely not be here if CDS was. I haven't watched enough of Colorado play to comment on their d line - I know they have Domineck who looks to be performing decently, but no idea on the rest of their guys.

Right now our SOS is #28, Colorado is #55 but yes those will fluctuate. A lot of conference games left to be played, and of course winning tends to lower SOS while losing increases it.

Strength of schedule is tricky to use. Colorado doesn’t have a team as strong as UGA on their schedule, but they have Oregon and USC and Utah who are good enough to beat just about anyone else.
If you’re the #35 team in the country, you could miss bowl eligibility playing 7 teams from the top 10, or you could get the same 5 wins by playing 7 teams ranked between 11-25.
Colorado is a lot better this year than last. They may not be better than us, but they had a bigger hole to dig out of.
Next year is tough—the Big12 could be a tough conference , and Sanders has made most of his easy moves by a drastic roster flip. He’s recruiting really well, and good with the transfer portal.
Will he get enough ongoing support if he only gets six wins next year?
Making a bowl this season against really long odds is his best first step to turning CO around. He may have to be harsh with the defense again this offseason
One thing he has are difference makers—maybe not enough, but he’s got some.
Last night’s loss was a body blow to turning around that program. He needs to make that up somehow

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Lest we not also forget Shedeur trying to poke a CSU player in the eyes. Oh, and Prime Prep Academy, that was GREAT for developing young men.

"Accomplishing things at a pretty high level" has absolutely nothing to do with being a good person or being a good leader of men. Aaron Hernandez accomplished things at a pretty high level too.

Did you seriously just compare Deion Sanders and his kids to a convicted murderer?

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Did you seriously just compare Deion Sanders and his kids to a convicted murderer?
No, I said "Accomplishing things at a pretty high level" has absolutely nothing to do with being a good person or being a good leader of men, and gave an example of how that is true. It was really not a comment on Deion or his kids at all, just pointing out the fallacy in the argument.

slugboy

Staff member
Two weeks without a Deion post

They’re second worst in FBS in sacks against. Shadeur got shots of painkillers to stay in the UCLA game. North Dallas Forty stuff

He has a thin roster. Injuries abound. It may not get better this year

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Two weeks without a Deion post

They’re second worst in FBS in sacks against. Shadeur got shots of painkillers to stay in the UCLA game. North Dallas Forty stuff

He has a thin roster. Injuries abound. It may not get better this year
Too bad.

So much hype about this year. Colorado could never measure up. Just hope nobody has their career sacrificed in the effort.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Too bad.

So much hype about this year. Colorado could never measure up. Just hope nobody has their career sacrificed in the effort.
Outside of the Stanford meltdown and the TCU upset their season is going down about as expected. They're no longer getting shellacked because all the loafers were run off, the patchwork squad is wearing out as the season goes along, Colorado is amassing a sizable war chest that will enable them to strengthen their program. They agreed to put up with all the antics in order to jumpstart a moribund program. Deion will be gone when Shadeur leaves. If I was their AD, I'd be smiling from ear to ear. You're going to have money, a much better roster and a fanbase that now remembers there's a game on Saturday (or Friday night at midnight). Getting a new coach to come in to replace Deion and instill discipline should not be that hard. As far as the AD goes, he's pobably already planning his departure to a school that likes sports more than hugging trees.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Outside of the Stanford meltdown and the TCU upset their season is going down about as expected. They're no longer getting shellacked because all the loafers were run off, the patchwork squad is wearing out as the season goes along, Colorado is amassing a sizable war chest that will enable them to strengthen their program. They agreed to put up with all the antics in order to jumpstart a moribund program. Deion will be gone when Shadeur leaves. If I was their AD, I'd be smiling from ear to ear. You're going to have money, a much better roster and a fanbase that now remembers there's a game on Saturday (or Friday night at midnight). Getting a new coach to come in to replace Deion and instill discipline should not be that hard. As far as the AD goes, he's pobably already planning his departure to a school that likes sports more than hugging trees.
If you look at it as a 2-year shot of adrenaline, maybe it makes some sense. But that's all it is (and that is something, for sure). As for the W/L, we see now that TCU (4-5) has beaten only Nicholls (3-4, FCS), Houston (3-5), SMU (6-2, G5), and BYU (5-3) so far. Nothing to write home about, but BYU might be their best win so for, not TCU.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
To all the Deion lovers he is now 4-5 and will be hard pressed to win another game this year

slugboy

Staff member
I’ve seen some harsh headlines about Sanders. There are a ton of people who would like to see him fail. ESPN is taking a more measured approach

Comparing Key and Sanders, Key is more transparent and takes more accountability than Sanders (and much more than TFG). Sanders has so much buzz and there’s a ton of excitement around Colorado football. Unless he really gets tarnished, they’ll do well recruiting and in the portal. The offensive play calling is open to question. Any offense looks terrible when you can’t block, though.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I’ve seen some harsh headlines about Sanders. There are a ton of people who would like to see him fail. ESPN is taking a more measured approach

Comparing Key and Sanders, Key is more transparent and takes more accountability than Sanders (and much more than TFG). Sanders has so much buzz and there’s a ton of excitement around Colorado football. Unless he really gets tarnished, they’ll do well recruiting and in the portal. The offensive play calling is open to question. Any offense looks terrible when you can’t block, though.
Idk, he keeps throwing his players under the bus which is going to eventually turn guys off. They have three 4 star commits currently, same as Tech, but only 10 commits total and are currently 63rd overall, and we are getting close to ESD. He likely won't be able to flip as much of the roster this year, so he's going to have to coach up the guys he's got, which he hasn't shown any ability to do.

Interestingly, 4 of their 10 commits are from Georgia and the top 2 are DL guys we've offered. I wonder if we have stayed in their ear...

slugboy

Staff member
Idk, he keeps throwing his players under the bus which is going to eventually turn guys off. They have three 4 star commits currently, same as Tech, but only 10 commits total and are currently 63rd overall, and we are getting close to ESD. He likely won't be able to flip as much of the roster this year, so he's going to have to coach up the guys he's got, which he hasn't shown any ability to do.

Interestingly, 4 of their 10 commits are from Georgia and the top 2 are DL guys we've offered. I wonder if we have stayed in their ear...
I don’t know how much he’s thrown his players under the bus compared to other coaches vs people being out to get him. Both are going on—some coaches would cut off the fuel to the fire by watching what they say, but he hasn’t.

Domineck is one of Colorado’s best defensive linemen—wish we’d been able to keep him. They have some game changing players, but lack depth.

it also seems like he’s making some bad strategy decisions. Cal has poor blocking, so they have a short passing game. Colorado has poor blocking, but they hold the ball waiting on deep routes.

That recruiting ranking, if accurate*, is the thing that would really burn him. There are B12 teams with star players that will push him around. He needs to shore up his lines.

*I don’t think recruiting ratings give the whole picture. 63 is pretty low, though. It’s high enough for Duke to have built a good team with that kind of class ranking