Coach Dave Patenaude

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
Dodd was an advocate of punting on third down. I think he even did it in the last game coached.

You don’t see quick kicks much anymore which used to be a formidable weapon. I guess in the age of high powered offenses you don’t want to lose your turn at bat and field position football is no longer a thing.

But I honestly think that some teams that are pinned inside their own five yard line and have a 3rd down and 15 might do better to punt on third before the other team figures it out.
If I’m remembering correctly from years ago, I think John Elway used to punt some. Not sure if it was 3rd or 4th down situations though.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Fully agree.... We ARE NOT BAMA.... We cannot simply impose our will, because we're bigger and faster in all aspects.... I would like to see some misdirection type plays... More importantly, why can't we implement a half back swing pass?? One that isolates a LB on Gibbs? Line 3 wide on one side and pull Gibbs to the other.. That alone would stress the crap out of a defense... It lines up a safety or LB to cover that swing pass... Just my input for a play...
You mean like we ran at Duke ?

TheJuiceIsLoose404

Jolly Good Fellow
Just to stir the pot a little bit more, why does no one bring up the fact that Coach Key is Run Game Coordinator? From this thread alone, it seems like a lot of people have issues with the run plays. But all the heat is on Coach P. Maybe having two guys worried about the run plays is an issue? Maybe Coach P doesn’t have the full keys to the castle? (No pun intended) Key was OC of a winless UCF. Maybe we don’t want him anywhere near play calling at all.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
As we go forward until we pay like P5 top 20 we cant expect to regularly in top 30 due to limited curriculum and entrance standards.

The ol transition has not lead the way in the running game as hoped.

I think the oc is a little short handed wide receiver speed and that really hampers the play calls. Plus it puts the ol and r game.. i think it was cheese that pointed out we lost a top wr recruit to sucicide. Also a top 2021 wr recruit who was very tall had a major knee injury.. Even though our route running is greatly improved as demonstrated when the back up played, the defenses seem to stsy near los as play devlopes.

In last game i noticed that a couple of the young slot receivers (who the announcer said are faster) got WIDE OPEN on a couple of plays- especially Mccollum on a deep out).

Perhaps we will see oc play the faster slot receiver more often.

The wide outs over the middle and a drag route from the tight end will make the lb get back from los.

No charge for play calling 🤣

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
You realize by saying EST that there is more than one time zone in the United States, right? I live in Jackson Hole Wyoming. And I’m routinely up until 2 AM here.
I do. Comment was tongue-in-cheek, but whatever. It was more about drunk posting being a bad idea than anything else. Momma always said nothing good ever happened after midnight.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Just to stir the pot a little bit more, why does no one bring up the fact that Coach Key is Run Game Coordinator? From this thread alone, it seems like a lot of people have issues with the run plays. But all the heat is on Coach P. Maybe having two guys worried about the run plays is an issue? Maybe Coach P doesn’t have the full keys to the castle? (No pun intended) Key was OC of a winless UCF. Maybe we don’t want him anywhere near play calling at all.
How does that even work? I think the OC should have total control of the offense, not sure if that is the case here?

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Not sure what's up with TE in passing game. Some of it has to be starting from scratch with no TE's on roster. You'd think that'd let you recruit some high end TE types. With the guys we have it seems like they have needed time to develop. Been some injuries there too.

Whatever the case Oakland, you are right our TE doesn't seem to figure in much at present. Don't know Coach P's history using the TE.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Can anyone remember the last time a Georgia Tech tight end caught a pass? OK, it's probably happened, but dang just put another tackle out there if Patenaude isn't going to use him.
Deveney had 4 receptions against Clemson. None since then i don't think.

They are useful in the blocking game so i don't think that just because they don't have a catch means they aren't being used

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Lol folks don’t want us to run up the middle anymore but enjoyed watching BBack dive for 11 seasons
Ah, but that was in an O that depended on deception. Running the dive was the necessary for immobilizing opposing Ds, especially the LBs. And once the DTs softened up - and they usually did by the middle of the 3rd quarter - everything else worked even better. That's why I used to look forward to the 3rd quarter of every Tech game.

Not so much today, of course.

slugboy

Staff member
Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Deveney had 4 receptions against Clemson. None since then i don't think.

They are useful in the blocking game so i don't think that just because they don't have a catch means they aren't being used

We missed a wide open TE in the middle of the field on our next to last possession (iirc) against Duke. A good pass there and he scores (per the announcers) or at least goes along way. i don't remember if Sims was hurried on that throw or not.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Bill Parcells talked extensively about “hidden yardage” and included punting in that discussion. If you can’t run it or pass it ... punt it and gain the yardage. Statistics show if you can win the field position game, you win ... the game.

I think strategy has disappeared from football as everyone seems to have converged to similar ways to play the game.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Bill Parcells talked extensively about “hidden yardage” and included punting in that discussion. If you can’t run it or pass it ... punt it and gain the yardage. Statistics show if you can win the field position game, you win ... the game.

I think strategy has disappeared from football as everyone seems to have converged to similar ways to play the game.
I agree as a general rule, but this assumes your defense is up to the task. If you’re going to give up a score either way, it may be smart to risk it and perhaps keep possession.