Coach Brent Key Scenario

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I am not against it in theory, but he would need to have a winning record. Going 4-4 to finish 5-7 would be improvement, but that’s too little too late at this point when you consider his struggles under Collins. I feel like it would be best for the program to just start fresh and new, but you can’t deny Key if he was to get us to 7 or 8 wins.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I think it will depend on some of the other names being thrown around. If Deion or Chadwell drop a bunch of games and don’t win their conference then 6-7 and not getting embarrassed in the bowl looks a lot better for Key. If CCU goes to a major bowl then I think he would need like 7-6 with a good bowl win and look competitive with UGA to have a realistic shot. If Dell gets fired I would have a hard time swallowing hiring him as HC and would probably put Key in front of him at even at 5-7. I also think what the recruiting class Key puts together looks like will help his cause. Not that I expect it but if he grabs some 4 stars and is 6-6 you’ve got to keep him because he’s managed to check nearly every box for me for a head coach.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
As a former headhunter, I think we should conduct the W I D E S T coaching search we possibly can at this point.

We should include and reach out to any and all candidates who check a minimum number of boxes...looking for reasons to INCLUDE rather than exclude a candidate.

We should only be considering a short list AFTER having conducting an exhaustive search process. Once we have 3-5 viable candidates, then we go from there.

Focusing on an internal candidate for whatever reason (and please, not out of convenience or ties to GT) is not the best way to go.

(And yes, hiring an executive search firm with a track record of success in athletics is the only way to do this properly. They will have connections and the ability to have conversations that would not be appropriate to initiate directly. Their fee will be peanuts compared to the dollars at stake.)

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
This board is putting the cart before the horse. No head coach will be hired until the new AD has been hired and is allowed to have major input into the HC selection. A lot of HC candidates would want to know who their AD would be before commiting to the job.
It is fun to speculate on who would make a good head coach, but excellent organizations are good top down.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
That's what boards do. It's a lot of fun to watch sometimes...
I don't understand the comments that suggest our discussions about coach options is somehow inappropriate or illogical. That's the point of boards like this...they exist so that a bunch of us who have zero standing in the decisions can enjoy the virtual water-cooler discussion on the pros and cons of the different options.

In the case of coach searches, think of it as window-shopping. We don't have any money, but it is fun to walk down the street and imagine what we'd do if we did!

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I don't understand the comments that suggest our discussions about coach options is somehow inappropriate or illogical. That's the point of boards like this...they exist so that a bunch of us who have zero standing in the decisions can enjoy the virtual water-cooler discussion on the pros and cons of the different options.

In the case of coach searches, think of it as window-shopping. We don't have any money, but it is fun to walk down the street and imagine what we'd do if we did!

People have opinions. Fan boards are populated with the most fanatical of fans with often strongly held opinions. Not every opinion can be a good as the one's any particular individual font has, but when they are particularly egregious said fonts are like dogs on a bone convincing you how wrong you can be...

stech81

Helluva Engineer
People have opinions. Fan boards are populated with the most fanatical of fans with often strongly held opinions. Not every opinion can be a good as the one's any particular individual font has, but when they are particularly egregious said fonts are like dogs on a bone convincing you how wrong you can be...
I stay too drunk to have an opinion but I'm willing to take money from someone who wants me to back their opinion.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Just out of curiosity, does anybody know if Key gets a raise out of this?
In my opinion, the only way CBK gets a legitimate interview for GT HC is if he beats uga. I’m sure we’ll courtesy interview him if we show improvement and win a few, though.
If he beats Georgia, he should be presented with a contract on the sideline as the clock hits zero.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Coach Key's ceiling is performing well for his next job, and I wish him nothing but the best. I'm gonna be really surprised, maybe in a good or bad way, that anybody other than O'Brien or Chadwell is our next coach.

Last edited:

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
As a former headhunter, I think we should conduct the W I D E S T coaching search we possibly can at this point.

We should include and reach out to any and all candidates who check a minimum number of boxes...looking for reasons to INCLUDE rather than exclude a candidate.

We should only be considering a short list AFTER having conducting an exhaustive search process. Once we have 3-5 viable candidates, then we go from there.

Focusing on an internal candidate for whatever reason (and please, not out of convenience or ties to GT) is not the best way to go.

(And yes, hiring an executive search firm with a track record of success in athletics is the only way to do this properly. They will have connections and the ability to have conversations that would not be appropriate to initiate directly. Their fee will be peanuts compared to the dollars at stake.)
If you

JacketFan137

Banned
If we hire Brent Key that’s an admission that we are done as a program
i’m not willing to say that TODAY. we aren’t seeing a new coach hired mid season so i feel like we need to at least have an open mind right now. there is a timeline where he is able to earn this job.

do i expect it? no, but if we somehow get to 6 or 7 wins and look somewhat respectable against uga (more 35-14 than 42-0) then he deserves an honest interview

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck

Agree on use of an experienced search firm. I do however, have reservations about a firm which is headed by and staffed with dwags, no matter what their brochures say about their professional ethics.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
Bryce in closing said Key must be considered if we win 5-6 while he's coach. He's been a little disappointing recruiting wise but considering the constant new transfers doesn't surprise me all that much.

Techastrophe

Georgia Tech Fan
ICBK gets hired when his performance curve crosses above the desperation curve. If a Very Much Win candidate shows interest early, ICBK may never have a chance. If the search is still dry and it's time to start recruiting then he whatever he has accomplished may get a longer look.
I should have said best alternative curve instead of desperation curve. It would trend lower over time. My apologies to all fellow engineers.