Coach Brent Key Scenario

CEB

Helluva Engineer
If Key does well the rest of the season, this would mean that

A) Key is a good coach
B) Collins was worse than we realized
C) Both A & B
D) Neither A nor B

EDIT: Doing well, IMO, would be getting us bowl eligible.
I’m having a flashback... this is the kind of question I would’ve erased a hole in my paper and then left blank.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If Key does well the rest of the season, this would mean that

A) Key is a good coach
B) Collins was worse than we realized
C) Both A & B
D) Neither A nor B

EDIT: Doing well, IMO, would be getting us bowl eligible.
I'll go with C). Collins was bad but that shouldn't take away from Key's performance, if he can turn it around. It would take quite a transformation of leadership to get it done.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I'll go with C). Collins was bad but that shouldn't take away from Key's performance, if he can turn it around. It would take quite a transformation of leadership to get it done.
I tend to agree. I was pondering how I would feel if we went up to Pitt this weekend and won or, at a minimum, looked competent in at least 2 out of 3 phases of the game. I think I would have to question what in the heck has been going on for the past 3.5 years.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I'm coming from a different place, don't even want to have an opinion on the topic, strongly hoping our new AD knows what he's doing when hiring a CFB HC and let him without any prejudice in his mind(hopefully) decide who will have the best shot at taking this program to a very winning and successful program at the highest level under the current conditions we're seeing take place in the sport. As we all know we're in a whole new world in CFB, the AD hire may be the most important hire we've made in my lifetime of GTFB.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I tend to agree. I was pondering how I would feel if we went up to Pitt this weekend and won or, at a minimum, looked competent in at least 2 out of 3 phases of the game. I think I would have to question what in the heck has been going on for the past 3.5 years.
I've been saying this team has been less than the sum of its parts. Hope Key proves me right and they start putting it together.

JacketBacker

Georgia Tech Fan
I consider myself a knowledgeable sports person (former sports anchor on CNN - in the days it still had a sports dept). And I’ve followed Tech since I was a kid and Eddie McAshan was the QB. After reading what Key said to the media (players and coaches waiting for something bad to happen) and did (dumping the Above the Line approach). This guy supposedly was tight with Collins from earlier days together at Tech and Bama - so why wouldn’t Key strongly recommend these changes to Collins??!! And if he did, and Collins didn’t listen to him, well…I just have a hard time understanding that scenario. The President of the US has all kinds of advisors offering input, I assume assistant coaches have a similar role. From the outside it feels like they just sat by and watched as the iceberg got closer and closer. Is Collins just that stubborn that he’d go down with the ship before making adjustments??

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I’m having a flashback... this is the kind of question I would’ve erased a hole in my paper and then left blank.
My mo when attacking a question of this nature on a test was to write down as many equations as I knew in the subject matter of the test, start plugging numbers into these formulas, circling various parts of my problems at random, erasing them to smudge them just enough to be somewhat difficult to read, and listing my assumptions and constraints when working the problem. I don't think I ever got a single problem entirely right in my illustrious academic career on the North Ave. but through liberal application of both partial credit and the curve, I got out. ;)

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Fron the latest AJC article:

Makes you wonder what practices were for under Collins. To party?

EDIT: This above all else that I have seen gives me hope that the team can actually accomplish something this season.
Makes you wonder what Collins was focusing on. I heard “attention to detail” countless times over the years. Detail to what??

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
My mo when attacking a question of this nature on a test was to write down as many equations as I knew in the subject matter of the test, start plugging numbers into these formulas, circling various parts of my problems at random, erasing them to smudge them just enough to be somewhat difficult to read, and listing my assumptions and constraints when working the problem. I don't think I ever got a single problem entirely right in my illustrious academic career on the North Ave. but through liberal application of both partial credit and the curve, I got out. ;)
Wish I had gotten a little more partial credit while I was there. I specifically remember a multi part diff eq test question where you had to get part A right to get part B, part B to get C, etc. I did everything right through all parts, except I had accidentally swapped a + for a - in part A, so my answer was opposite what it should have been. Got a zero for all parts, and the professor when asked said if you get it wrong in real life you don't get partial credit either.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
I consider myself a knowledgeable sports person (former sports anchor on CNN - in the days it still had a sports dept). And I’ve followed Tech since I was a kid and Eddie McAshan was the QB. After reading what Key said to the media (players and coaches waiting for something bad to happen) and did (dumping the Above the Line approach). This guy supposedly was tight with Collins from earlier days together at Tech and Bama - so why wouldn’t Key strongly recommend these changes to Collins??!! And if he did, and Collins didn’t listen to him, well…I just have a hard time understanding that scenario. The President of the US has all kinds of advisors offering input, I assume assistant coaches have a similar role. From the outside it feels like they just sat by and watched as the iceberg got closer and closer. Is Collins just that stubborn that he’d go down with the ship before making adjustments??
Collins seems like a guy that lives in theory instead of reality. It looks and sounds good on paper, so it must be so.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Wish I had gotten a little more partial credit while I was there. I specifically remember a multi part diff eq test question where you had to get part A right to get part B, part B to get C, etc. I did everything right through all parts, except I had accidentally swapped a + for a - in part A, so my answer was opposite what it should have been. Got a zero for all parts, and the professor when asked said if you get it wrong in real life you don't get partial credit either.
Rubbish.

In real life, you can open a reference book, confer with a colleague, whatever. My dad (ME '60) designed machines all his life. You think they worked perfectly the first time he turned them on? But part of it did, and he adjusted the rest until it DID work correctly.

Oh, and he got paid his normal salary the whole time even when the machine wasn't operational, yet. So, yeah...you DO get partial credit EVERY day in the real world until you finally get it right.

An exam question is a one-shot deal...all or nothing...but life is rarely like that. Mostly in the movies.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
My answer to that response was always “in real life I get to use any resource I have available, including colleagues and mentors.”

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Good thing you didn’t try that in MY class…;)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
So most of the clowns that Collins brought are gone.

They couldn't coach up but they could spot and recruit talent. Just get new coaches and we are contenders ?

We will see how the 2022 replacment coaches do. Continous improvement by position should show the talent

Maybe doung the full ejection of Players and Coaches is necessary, but it seems like a bad idea - good portal Player aint coming to low budget nil ga tech.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
So most of the clowns that Collins brought are gone.

They couldn't coach up but they could spot and recruit talent. Just get new coaches and we are contenders ?

We will see how the 2022 replacment coaches do. Continous improvement by position should show the talent

Maybe doung the full ejection of Players and Coaches is necessary, but it seems like a bad idea - good portal Player aint coming to low budget nil ga tech.
One bright spot is the spectacular improvement in pass defense. Tech now ranks #19 at 179.7 ypg. Last year the Jackets gave up 287.7 ypg.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
If he turns it around, he should get a look. His performance as an OL coach has been dismal, but HC is a different animal. I'm not holding my breath, but who knows? This is his shot.
I am of the school tht says one way to judge a candidate for any job is to look at how well he did his last job. At the same time it is horribly unfair to judge a coach on Coillins' staff. Give 'em credit for not going nuts.