Coach Brent Key Scenario

slugboy

Staff member
Bryce in closing said Key must be considered if we win 5-6 while he's coach. He's been a little disappointing recruiting wise but considering the constant new transfers doesn't surprise me all that much.

Happy Real Housewives Of Atlanta GIF by TV One

I guess he had to say SOMETHING in closing.

I think the powers that be want to clean house. At least I do.

It ain't about "want". It's about "smart". If the new AD and HC think that Tillman or Long or Key or members of the staff are awesome and they want to stay, they'll stay. Since we don't know the HC or AD yet, it's too early to say, but many more positions tend to turn over than not.

Having some members of the staff and maybe a coach staying happens, though coaches staying on after a head coach transition are pretty rare.

I hope our next HC is wiser in this transition than Collins was in the last one.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck

It ain't about "want". It's about "smart". If the new AD and HC think that Tillman or Long or Key or members of the staff are awesome and they want to stay, they'll stay. Since we don't know the HC or AD yet, it's too early to say, but many more positions tend to turn over than not.

Having some members of the staff and maybe a coach staying happens, though coaches staying on after a head coach transition are pretty rare.

I hope our next HC is wiser in this transition than Collins was in the last one.
Doesn't the chosen HC get to make that call? Or can the administration say who gets to stay on staff?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

So far this year our offense is one of the worst in the country (112th total offense, 124th scoring offense, 121st 3rd down conversions). Our defense is also one of the worst in the country (101st total defense, 97th scoring defense, 93rd 3rd down defense). Our special teams are atrocious (124th field goal %, four blocked punts). We aren't good at anything. Why in the world would you want to keep anyone associated with this train wreck? Clean house and move on.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
If we hire Brent Key that’s an admission that we are done as a program
I wonder if that is the same thing Clemson said when they move Dabo from interim to head coach. Every head coach has to have the first opportunity. Now all of that being said, I would be extremely surprised if we get to 6-6 and get to a bowl which I think is the minimum to even have Key in the conversation. As someone else has already said, the better he performs the more juice he will have in landing his next job.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if that is the same thing Clemson said when they move Dabo from interim to head coach. Every head coach has to have the first opportunity. Now all of that being said, I would be extremely surprised if we get to 6-6 and get to a bowl which I think is the minimum to even have Key in the conversation. As someone else has already said, the better he performs the more juice he will have in landing his next job.
Our version of Dabo being promoted would have been Tashard Choice rather than Key tbh. Dabo was landing 5 stars like CJ spiller and Sammy Watkins. As the WR coach his unit was def out performing what our O Line has done. He was their best recruiter like choice was for us and choice had thr RBs looking good

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
You’re right though. Dabo being promoted was widely panned as a garbage hire at the time by the media and they were obviously completely wrong in retrospect

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
You’re right though. Dabo being promoted was widely panned as a garbage hire at the time by the media and they were obviously completely wrong in retrospect
Well, Dabo was a clown show when he started. I remember the weird locker room talks, the uncomfortable long, wet kiss of Howard's rock, the high fiving of the fans. He just had the talent on the roster and on the staff to overcome his antics.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Yeah he was an elite recruiter. He was landing 5 stars already which is what I was getting at. Choice is way closer to being that players coach for us than anything that’s been indicated about Key

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

Dabo was a clown show hire. The difference was Dabo found a mentor and learned everything he could from that mentor and turned out to be a pretty good coach because of it.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Fron the latest AJC article:
“You’re only as good as you are on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday,” Key said. “The detail that you have in practice, the discipline that you have in practice.”

Not exactly a groundbreaking approach, but Key suggested that Tech coaches not demanding discipline and attention to detail at practice was the root of the repeated mistakes, such as the blocked punts and offside and false-start penalties.

Makes you wonder what practices were for under Collins. To party?

EDIT: This above all else that I have seen gives me hope that the team can actually accomplish something this season.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Fron the latest AJC article:

Makes you wonder what practices were for under Collins. To party?

EDIT: This above all else that I have seen gives me hope that the team can actually accomplish something this season.

Show off da swag chalice new kicks every day and listen to some dope beats.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
If Key does well the rest of the season, this would mean that

A) Key is a good coach
B) Collins was worse than we realized
C) Both A & B
D) Neither A nor B

EDIT: Doing well, IMO, would be getting us bowl eligible.