Coach Brent Key Scenario

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
I have no issues with going for it on 4th and 1. I wasn't wild about the play call but no issue with trying to get a TD. I would say most coaches would have gone for it. Worse case is you leave Pitt a 99 yard field. Obviously having them score a little slower would be nice. But being aggressive and going for a win is okay by me.
the only problem with the last couple times Tech had the ball was clock management. game could have been over quicker but for some reason Tech kept hiking the ball with around 20 secs or so left on the play clock. let that **** get down to below 5 before hiking it.

and yeah i would have gone for it on 4th down at the 1. hate the play call like you said. hate any fade at the goal line but if it was 1st down, then sure try it. but 4th down was dumb.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It’s one game. He would have to win, win and win because of his association with failure… I need to see ability to make good adjustments made during the game. Using play calling to setup play calling, if you know what I mean. I would have to see no more vibrating football table top random play calling. Improvement in penalties and time out calling. The team should look cohesive and selflessness. Mean, but controlled…

yoshiki2

Georgia Tech Fan
I’m not going to be a downer tonight but as great as this result is, it’s not worth a thing on its own. Enjoy it, it’s awesome, have fun. The next 7 will tell you what to make of tonight.
Do not count the one against UGA.
This game could have had a very different outcome if that first pass from Sims had been a pick 6. The Pitt player was in position to make the play and just flat dropped it. Got lucky on that one. Got away with one or two throws that could have been picks but thankfully were not intercepted.
I still don't understand not taking the FG late to put us up by 15 late in the fourth quarter and play calls were questionable in my mind. A fake into the line with Sims to the edge could have been a score. They were totally committed to stop an inside run and they have a good DL. We still need better TE play overall.
Luck is part of the game. There are coaches that are lucky, and there are coaches who are not.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
CBK has the keys to his own career growth at this point and he's trying out for the job. If he can turn this season around under these circumstances, he should be a fair contender for the job imho.

I'm afraid things are stacked against him though; the challenge in front of CBK I believe is insurmountable. Drinking from multiple firehoses but if he can do it, that would be one helluva resumé.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
It’s one game.
I keep seeing people saying this. I get it. And not picking on you @Longestday ...it's been a common theme today.

But, um, it can't have been more than one game. We had to win the one, to be able to win two. And we played a good Pitt team that is well-coached. Did we get "lucky"? Sure, every team that wins has some luck go their way as well as some against them. But for the most part we made our luck or were at least in a position to capitalize on it. I'm not sure we could have asked for more, so the "It's just one game" mind-set just seems to me to be a bit...unnecessarily pessimistic.

I guess it's a "Curb Your Enthusiasm" warning, but I think we deserve to have a bit of enthusiasm at this point.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I keep seeing people saying this. I get it. And not picking on you @Longestday ...it's been a common theme today.

But, um, it can't have been more than one game. We had to win the one, to be able to win two. And we played a good Pitt team that is well-coached. Did we get "lucky"? Sure, every team that wins has some luck go their way as well as some against them. But for the most part we made our luck or were at least in a position to capitalize on it. I'm not sure we could have asked for more, so the "It's just one game" mind-set just seems to me to be a bit...unnecessarily pessimistic.

I guess it's a "Curb Your Enthusiasm" warning, but I think we deserve to have a bit of enthusiasm at this point.
It’s not pessimistic, it’s a fact. I see the hope the win created. This hope is, right now, nothing more than emotion of one win. He could win out… that would be data. He could show he is a good head coach by x, y, or z and win some and be real close in other games. But we are fans of GT football.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s not pessimistic, it’s a fact. I see the hope the win created. This hope is, right now, nothing more than emotion of one win. He could win out… that would be data. He could show he is a good head coach by x, y, or z and win some and be real close in other games. But we are fans of GT football.
I 90% agree with you, but feel compelled to remind you that one win is also data.

The expected value of season wins given one win is not the same as the expected value of season wins given one loss. In fact, the EE in me sees the first derivitive wrt to time as particularly important information: how much change in performance did we see over days given to coach?

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
the only problem with the last couple times Tech had the ball was clock management. game could have been over quicker but for some reason Tech kept hiking the ball with around 20 secs or so left on the play clock. let that **** get down to below 5 before hiking it.

and yeah i would have gone for it on 4th down at the 1. hate the play call like you said. hate any fade at the goal line but if it was 1st down, then sure try it. but 4th down was dumb.
Fair but if you start milking the clock with 6 minutes left, sometimes you are sending the wrong message to the team.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I think going for it there was a matter of what CBK said in his first press conference. Playing to win vs playing not to lose. He showed the players he believed they could get it or the defense could get the stop. IMHO, that attitude shift is how Tech found a way to win, ugly as it was. Isn't it nice to have hypotheticals about how we could've lost a close game, instead of how we could've won?
Always take the points. Happy for him it didn't cost us the game.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Plus some of us remember the feeling last year after the UNC game. That was a similar game against a ranked team where we played great on defense, had no turnovers, and only 5 penalties. Everything looked and felt different. The emotion made us think we turned a corner. I’ll be a bit more reserved this time.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t think Key has a chance at the HC just based on the struggles of the OL and offense in general. However, I’ve always thought there was more talent on the team than the performance, so if he can change the attitude, confidence, and work ethic in practice, he can set the next coach up for more success. Hopefully he can stabilize the recruiting as well.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think Key has a chance at the HC just based on the struggles of the OL and offense in general. However, I’ve always thought there was more talent on the team than the performance, so if he can change the attitude, confidence, and work ethic in practice, he can set the next coach up for more success. Hopefully he can stabilize the recruiting as well.
He can make a good case for himself if successful in the remaining games. It also will depend on who is best available when the hiring is done. There are some that we want that may not want us. Colorado is now also in the market.

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
If CBK somehow gets us to 6 wins he'll definitely deserve a look/interview and I believe will get one. But only if the Offense has shown tremendous improvement would I feel good about him getting the job.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
Position coach results do not mean anything in regard to being a head coach. If it did, our teams the past 3 years would be better on D than they have been

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I have no issues with going for it on 4th and 1. I wasn't wild about the play call but no issue with trying to get a TD. I would say most coaches would have gone for it. Worse case is you leave Pitt a 99 yard field. Obviously having them score a little slower would be nice. But being aggressive and going for a win is okay by me.

Agree, but we need a short yardage package (some TEs out and more Ols in to make the blocking line longer to spread the D more). We tried on third to hit the middle with our usual personnel. Pitt anticipated and threw everything at us in the middle. We were predictable and not creative. Our red zone passing right now is very low percentage. The higher % play on 4th is a rollout by Sims run or pass option maybe following a quick fake up the middle. Lots of teams have success with that play for 2 point conversions.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Fair but if you start milking the clock with 6 minutes left, sometimes you are sending the wrong message to the team.

With 6 minutes to go and a two score lead milking the clock is the winning strategy..... "situational awareness" that I have been preaching. Pitt should not have had time for that last score. However this issue for winning is not near as big as the issues we have of such poor yardage on first down, inability to score TDs in the red zone, and lack of a consistent run game, big issues I hope to see addressed by our new coach. Many of our issues have been addressed if this game is an indication, and I hope these others will get coaching priority as they are affecting our chances to WIN.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
This should not have to be coached. I would like to see a veteran in the huddle, the center, somebody, just say it out loud without a coach having to say so.