Coach’s radio show

White_Gold

GT Athlete
Gardner, Howard, David Brown, Jo Gilbert, Claytor, Dan Voss, & AJ Smith. Wish we had this OLine now

You can throw Clyde Yandell in there too.
Let's not forget that when injuries in the ACCCG happened to Smith, then Claytor, Clyde Yandell stepped up big time to perform at a high level.

White_Gold

GT Athlete
But if u remember paul put a guy like barrick at tackle because he wanted a smaller guy there to scoop and get to the second level. That was less out of need and more out of body type. Iirc didnt gardner make it to the nfl and play almost every game in 2008 or was that 09? We have no nfl caliber on this line not close. Also same thing with voss. He was a plugger center and paul wanted a smaller quick guy and bedford fit that mold. Its HOW different the guys are between these systems. Its drastic. Paul johnson also had cordaro howard at guard. Another nfl lineman.

Iirc in 2008. Cpj had TWO nfl lineman on his ol. Its a joke to compare. And i dont know why we are

Collins was left a far worse team in talent than paul. Its just true. Anyone can see it. We had 4 nfl players on offense in 2008. And a few on d

Its no different than paul pulling glennons offer for qb. And collins pulling the ol offers essentially too.

Gardner was 08.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Would you agree that players' are responsible for their own behavior? The coaches are ultimately responsible for the players' behavior, I won't argue that. However, the players' are responsible for how they act in between the stripes during the game. Only corrective action can be taken. You can't jump into their brains and make them stop.

Now if they come out and are undisciplined, dancing after a 6 yard gain on defense, etc. against Temple. I'll be the first one to admit I'm wrong. Ultimately, I think we saw a bunch of players who didn't take Citadel seriously. And, yes, I expect that to be fixed.
Yes players are responsible for their behavior. Coaches hold players accountable for their behavior. When coaches do not hold players accountable you get additional players exhibiting the same or worse behavior. There’s 2 options here:
a. Players wantonly disrespect the coaching staff and gaff off whatever they tell them
b. Coaches tolerated and maybe encouraged the behavior.

We agree wholeheartedly on the Temple game. I we see a change in behavior it will mean to me the coaches get it and the players got it. I will retreat to my patient wait and see position.

I’m really pissed because game 1 and even game 2 gave me great hope for GT’s defense. The offense I’m still solidly negative on the OC, unbelievably more negative than game 2. Game 1 he gets a pass (ha) because of Clemp being #1 although I did expect to see some real passing attempts. That was disappointing.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
When you say GT is more talented the Citadel, what are you saying? Are you saying on the individual level? If yes, then I agree. Oliver is probably more athletically gifted then anybody on their team. So are our running backs and probably most of our receivers but some of them weren't exactly streaking downfield leaving the corner back in their dust. Our offensive line due injuries and scheme are not, as a unit, more talented then their Dline on Saturday. That was quite evident when you watch the game. Q. Kelley before the season said after one of the practices that our starting Oline would be serviceable but the drop off in talent to the next group would be devastating. Unfortunately, it only took 3 games to get down to walk-ons on the oline. If you can't understand how not having depth and experience on the Oline kills our offensive play calling then either you want to just blame the coaches or don't know how football works.

Now, I'm not saying coaches didn't make mistakes and I agree with everything they did. I think using TO on the kick offs is stoopid. I think we missed managed the time at the end and should have used the time out. I think after half it should have become TO's game to lose but I understand CP trying to get the offense going for the future with L. Johnson.

If we don't get some guys healthy on the Oline we are in for a long long year.

When you say GT is more talented the Citadel, what are you saying? Are you saying on the individual level? If yes, then I agree. Oliver is probably more athletically gifted then anybody on their team. So are our running backs and probably most of our receivers but some of them weren't exactly streaking downfield leaving the corner back in their dust. Our offensive line due injuries and scheme are not, as a unit, more talented then their Dline on Saturday. That was quite evident when you watch the game. Q. Kelley before the season said after one of the practices that our starting Oline would be serviceable but the drop off in talent to the next group would be devastating. Unfortunately, it only took 3 games to get down to walk-ons on the oline. If you can't understand how not having depth and experience on the Oline kills our offensive play calling then either you want to just blame the coaches or don't know how football works.

Now, I'm not saying coaches didn't make mistakes and I agree with everything they did. I think using TO on the kick offs is stoopid. I think we missed managed the time at the end and should have used the time out. I think after half it should have become TO's game to lose but I understand CP trying to get the offense going for the future with L. Johnson.

If we don't get some guys healthy on the Oline we are in for a long long year.
The offense will never get going for the future with L. Johnson. He can't read the field or follow his blockers. Whether Tobias is the "future" or not, he is still the best for now. Give Graham a shot when he is healed. Give Yates a chance, since he has 4 "free" games. But Lucas just can't cut it.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Hate to tell you but it’s not reciprocal. Just because CPJ did something to you guys or maybe you just despised him from the start doesn’t mean that current/previous fans of the program are not hoping CGC succeeds. Take a step back, ignore the results on the field but not the conduct and ask yourself does this look like GT football?

Does multiple, unchecked by the coaching staff personal foul penalties in a close game look like GT football? Blatant unsportsmanlike conduct look like GT football?

Do football players SELECTED to act like cheerleaders on the sidelines although not in the traditional sense because they’re jumping around like da U look like GT football?

Does over the top WWE style hyping up the team, exposing yourself to rampant criticism look like GT football?

Does not knowing basic rules of the game seem like GT football?

This is what the complaining’s about. You’ve got a fan base that every day of the week goes to work and analyzes, deals with results. We make cause/effect determinations unlike most fan bases. We see lack of basic discipline, coupled with unfocused players as a cause to the effect. We feared the antics during the spring and practices leading up to the season as lack of focus on football fundamentals and that looks like what we got. Coach need to either fix himself or prove us wrong. Right now he’s proving us right and at an alarmingly faster rate that many of us could have imagined.

When you’re not executing & you’ve got all these sideline shows going on it’s not a good look for the coach. My workplace is a small microcosm and GT football only gets talked about when we had key wins. Normally GT football does not get ridiculed like da U, but where I work there’s comparisons all over the place now, still this morning. Is this the culture we want? Undisciplined football players looking like stooges on the field and sidelines because the staff has trained them to act foolishly in the name of hype.

I held my breath after a point to wait & see. Coach needs a wake up call. He’s right this is big time football & he better get wise quick to the level of the league he’s in. I’m telling you if we do not see a highly disciplined team at Temple, Katie bar the door. We’re in for a horrible ride. Whether we win or lose, we’re GT not one of the loser factories we’ve ridiculed for decades.
Very well said...couldn’t agree more

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Yes players are responsible for their behavior. Coaches hold players accountable for their behavior. When coaches do not hold players accountable you get additional players exhibiting the same or worse behavior. There’s 2 options here:
a. Players wantonly disrespect the coaching staff and gaff off whatever they tell them
b. Coaches tolerated and maybe encouraged the behavior.

We agree wholeheartedly on the Temple game. I we see a change in behavior it will mean to me the coaches get it and the players got it. I will retreat to my patient wait and see position.

I’m really pissed because game 1 and even game 2 gave me great hope for GT’s defense. The offense I’m still solidly negative on the OC, unbelievably more negative than game 2. Game 1 he gets a pass (ha) because of Clemp being #1 although I did expect to see some real passing attempts. That was disappointing.

I'm disappointed in our loss against Citadel, but I'm equally disappointed in how some of our players acted.

Seriously, are we "flexing" and talking crap to intimidate FCS players? On top of that, we kept doing it, and it helped them and hurt us. If some of our players feel the need to intimidate or "flex" against kids of lower athletic caliber, then they are not the players they think they are. Good players let their play do the talking. Intimidate someone by knocking the stuffing out of them, running by them, or shutting them down their play. I always felt that if someone needed to talk trash to me or get in my face it's because they were scared of my abilities and couldn't do anything about it...and lo and behold Citidel beat us. What good did the talking and flexing do?!

I'm glad CGC specifically addressed this and emphasized that it wasn't going to be tolerated. We're not good enough for that crap...and even if we were, our coaches and other players on the team shouldn't tolerate it because, and apologize if this offends some, but we're "Georgia Tech" and that means something more than football.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
The personal fouls did not go unchecked during the game. Those kids were getting chewed out and doing pushups on the sideline, and you best believe they are not going unchecked in practice and workouts this week.

We were only penalized 4 times in the first 2 games. Wouldn't it make more sense to view this game as an aberration rathe than a trend? Honestly, I think the refs were a bit quick with the whistle anyway, possibly because of the opponent.

Did the multiple targeting penalties against usf last year indicate a lack of discipline?

You can be disciplined and still make the game fun. All the dancing and hype stuff is not going away, so its best to overlook it if its not your cup of tea.
If we in the regular-season 8 and 4 or 9 and 3 then the game might be considered an aberration. Just my opinion.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I’ve watched a lot of sports in my 49 years and I gotta believe Saturday was simply the sports gods way of waking everyone up. We lost to a FCS option based team. That is the football gods getting back at Collins for that opening play of the spring game. Now, as fate has it we are going to play Collins old team. You couldn’t write a better script.

I like Collins but we needed this because the juice was making us fat. I really believe the football gods are giving us the business right now but that brighter days will emerge. If it wasn’t for the uniforms I would have sworn we were Miami acting like thugs while playing like a bunch of pansies. At one point I could have sworn I saw Richt instead of Collins. I believe in our coach, but he is at a career crossroads and the next 2 months are important for his career. I don’t care if we lose every game, but we can’t look lost.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Couldn't bring myself to watch anything game related but finally watched the show. Started out well, with CGC addressing issues directly (such as penalties, defensive struggles) but quickly resorted to a bunch of platitudes with no substance.

I'm also not a fan of the "the errors stay in the lockerroom, out here you can blame me" comment. He is basically blaming the players and acting like he is not. To be clear, at the end of the day, I think its totally acceptable to call out players lack of execution and mistakes, as long as it is done correctly (and I am confident CGC would do so in a proper way). But the way he addressed it in conference comes off sounding insincere.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Couldn't bring myself to watch anything game related but finally watched the show. Started out well, with CGC addressing issues directly (such as penalties, defensive struggles) but quickly resorted to a bunch of platitudes with no substance.

I'm also not a fan of the "the errors stay in the lockerroom, out here you can blame me" comment. He is basically blaming the players and acting like he is not. To be clear, at the end of the day, I think its totally acceptable to call out players lack of execution and mistakes, as long as it is done correctly (and I am confident CGC would do so in a proper way). But the way he addressed it in conference comes off sounding insincere.

Tidbit about JLee was good to hear.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm glad CGC specifically addressed this and emphasized that it wasn't going to be tolerated. We're not good enough for that crap...and even if we were, our coaches and other players on the team shouldn't tolerate it because, and apologize if this offends some, but we're "Georgia Tech" and that means something more than football.

Agree.

But we don't know what "addressed this and emphasized that it wasn't going to be tolerated" means.

Does it mean he gave them a stern talking to and said, "I'm disappointed. You were very bad boys. Seriously, #SadFace, guys. Now go home and dance all the bad ju-ju out of your system and let's get ready for Temple."

Or did he say, "I'm disappointed. Don't let it happen again. On the line."

Who knows? If we keep seeing undisciplined play over and over, we'll know something isn't right. If these issues go away, then the issue's been dealt with. As the season develops we'll have more of a body of work to judge the coaches and players by.