Clinton Lynch

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
I don't know why everyone is so surprised. He was really good last year!!!!!!!!!!!
Quite a few people were just expecting him to get passed up by faster players that were hurt last year but man this guy has just been a straight baller for us for 2 years. Happy to see him starting to get a lot more credit for it too. Seemed like a lot of it last year was getting chalked up to "well everyone else is just out so we had no choice but to go for him" but those kids are back and he's still tearing it up.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Quite a few people were just expecting him to get passed up by faster players that were hurt last year but man this guy has just been a straight baller for us for 2 years. Happy to see him starting to get a lot more credit for it too. Seemed like a lot of it last year was getting chalked up to "well everyone else is just out so we had no choice but to go for him" but those kids are back and he's still tearing it up.
I was one of those. In no way shape or form was I rooting against the kid, but yes, I honestly thought he and Ike would get pushed down to #4 or lower. They all need to block better, but CL has consistently made big plays that have saved our bacon. It is a good thing too, because I can't seem to remember any sustained drives recently.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
To give a little historical perspective, Robbie Godhigh had 1200 combined yards in 2013. Presently Lynch has 800. CL has two games to go. Let's see how it plays out. Interestingly, CL has already matched RG's receiving yards that season.

Last edited:

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
To give a little historical perspective, Robbie Godhigh had 1200 combined yards in 2013. Presently Lynch has 800. CL has two games to go. Let's see how it plays out. Interestingly, CL has already mached RG's receiving yards that season.
RGs 2013 year he had very little competition for playmaker. Sims, Bostic, Perkins, Hill, and Vad didn't really make many big plays. This year JT, DM, MM, and Juene have made a lot of big plays for us to take some of the load off of CL

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
It's strange to think that he was a signing day flip from Georgia State to us. If one other recruit had said "yes" earlier, he likely would have never been with us.

Yep, funny how those 11th hour afterthought signings can work out. With apologies for mentioning that program in Athens, back in the day it was the only Div. 1 program to offer a scholarship to some kid who played QB and safety at a high school in Texas. Terry Hoage went on to become an All-American who finished 5th in Heisman voting his senior year, and then played 13 years in the NFL.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Yep, funny how those 11th hour afterthought signings can work out. With apologies for mentioning that program in Athens, back in the day it was the only Div. 1 program to offer a scholarship to some kid who played QB and safety at a high school in Texas. Terry Hoage went on to become an All-American who finished 5th in Heisman voting his senior year, and then played 13 years in the NFL.
Was he the founder of the hoagie

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
RGs 2013 year he had very little competition for playmaker. Sims, Bostic, Perkins, Hill, and Vad didn't really make many big plays. This year JT, DM, MM, and Juene have made a lot of big plays for us to take some of the load off of CL
I am not really sure how this is relevant. We run an option offense. We don't call plays with people's numbers. In any case, just having CL in the discussion with RG is a huge compliment. Imagine this: CL has two games left to play and it is still possible to catch RG in terms of total yards. He has already caught him on the receiving end. In my mind, RG has set the bar for ABs in our offense. CL is just in his second year and he is already approaching that bar. Now, if we could just get ANY of our ABs to block like RG, it would be a huge help. Defenders were afraid of RG, just plain afraid he would break their legs.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I am not really sure how this is relevant. We run an option offense. We don't call plays with people's numbers. In any case, just having CL in the discussion with RG is a huge compliment. Imagine this: CL has two games left to play and it is still possible to catch RG in terms of total yards. He has already caught him on the receiving end. In my mind, RG has set the bar for ABs in our offense. CL is just in his second year and he is already approaching that bar. Now, if we could just get ANY of our ABs to block like RG, it would be a huge help. Defenders were afraid of RG, just plain afraid he would break their legs.

Rg was on the field way more. More of a rotation now. Thats his point....if you recall it was the rg show cuz no ab depth and he was the only performer. At one point paul said it was impossible to take him off the field cuz he was the best blocker and runner.

So basically even in an option O when u play more snaps your chances for yards go up. Just look at the number of carries....total yards doesnt mean the same in this debate especially in an option O. Look at carries and ypc and ypcatch. Then you can see lynch is playing at a similar high level....probably a better raw receiver. Godhigh a better raw runner. Lynch probably better top end speed. Godhigh better blocker and shifty. Not the same player to me. Similar production

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My question continues to be, Why don't we utilize him more? A lot more!
Well, part of Lynch's success has been rooted in his sneakiness. Just when teams take their eyes off him, he breaks free all alone into the secondary. If we went to him more often he would lose his cloaking device.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Well, part of Lynch's success has been rooted in his sneakiness. Just when teams take their eyes off him, he breaks free all alone into the secondary. If we went to him more often he would lose his cloaking device.
Part of his cloaking device has been an offense that has trouble sustaining drives. It's hard to get touches when your team doesn't have the ball.

In '13, Godhigh had twice as many carries per game as Lynch does this year. (6 vs. 2.8)

Receiving, Lynch averages more yards per catch than Godhigh in his prime.

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
To give a little historical perspective, Robbie Godhigh had 1200 combined yards in 2013. Presently Lynch has 800. CL has two games to go. Let's see how it plays out. Interestingly, CL has already matched RG's receiving yards that season.

In 2013, Godhigh had 102 combined "touches" (in 13 games).
79 rushes for 744 yards (9.4 avg), 7 TDs...longest 65 yards
23 receptions for 471 yards (20.5 avg), 2 TDs...longest 43 yards
102 total touches for 1215 yards (11.91 avg), 9 total TDs
Avg of 7.85 touches per game, 93.46 yards per game, 0.69 TDs per game
(Interestingly, RG led a team that included future NFL WRs Smelter and Waller in receptions)

2016 Clinton Lynch has 46 combined "touches" (through 11 games).
31 rushes for 333 yards (10.7 avg), 1 TD...longest 45 yards
15 receptions for 474 yards (31.6 avg), 6 TDs....longest 83 yards
46 total touches for 807 yards (17.54 avg), 7 total TDs
Avg of 4.18 touches per game, 73.36 yards per game, 0.63 TDs per game

On a "per touch basis", 2016 Lynch easily beats 2013 Godhigh. I think Godhigh is the far stronger runner, and CL is the better receiver, and it goes to their playing history. Godhigh was a very good HS runningback, while CL was good HS WR.

CL won't end up with the total touches that 2013 Godhigh had, but his yards per rush is just as strong as RG while his yards per reception is an insane 10 yards per reception better than RG's.

It's hard to judge different players from different teams as there's a lot that goes into it (the OL, the QB, which ABs were blocking for who, experience of the team, etc.) but it's safe to say CL is just a VERY good AB for GT. We're lucky we'll have another 2 years of CL to enjoy.