Clemson

GtBaseball3

Jolly Good Fellow
Players come to tech ang get worse, especially pitchers. Look at Hughes and gooden, one was 2nd rd pick and the other was highly touted and pitched a no hitter in the Connie Mack World Series. Now, they can barely throw a stike and aren’t even being considered to be drafted. It’s just sad

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Players come to tech ang get worse, especially pitchers. Look at Hughes and gooden, one was 2nd rd pick and the other was highly touted and pitched a no hitter in the Connie Mack World Series. Now, they can barely throw a stike and aren’t even being considered to be drafted. It’s just sad
Yeah, let's ignore the fact that Hughes had an injury. Gooden on the other hand is just an anomaly. I have no idea if it's the pitching coach, him, or just the change of level.

dawgbasher

Jolly Good Fellow
What is the story with Jake Brace, freshman pitcher. He along with Hurter & Chapman were the only pitchers in this incoming freshman class. He has not pitched one inning. Is he .............. hurt, redshirted, or just a bust? If you only sign three pitchers in a class, all three have to be productive in some sort of way. Just another miss in recruiting I guess.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if they decided they had to change Gooden's delivery? Many a pitcher has gotten screwed up by that, and the defense is always that he was going to be injured if he kept his old delivery. It may all be true, but I seem to have heard about this sort of thing on more than one occasion. I have NO knowledge that it has happened that way in this case...merely rampant internet speculation on my part.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if they decided they had to change Gooden's delivery? Many a pitcher has gotten screwed up by that, and the defense is always that he was going to be injured if he kept his old delivery. It may all be true, but I seem to have heard about this sort of thing on more than one occasion. I have NO knowledge that it has happened that way in this case...merely rampant internet speculation on my part.
I wonder the same thing(s). There has been speculation over the last few years in this forum regarding "messing with pitchers' stuff" which has led to dramatic backsliding and/or injury. My recall is ALL of it was speculation. Gooden is listed as "not active this season" on the roster now... I think its been that way since 2nd week of the season; but I just noticed it last week. I have no idea the reason.

I think this is a fair observation.. but equally fair is to note there are quite a few guys on this year's team who have been on the opposite trajectory:
Datoc is top of list... a senior who has improved and seen increasing role every year.
Curry (so far) has shown no sign of backward progress from a great freshman year in 2017.
Thomas (so far) is GREAT...compared to last year (which was really half a year...for him).
Carpenter (similar to Datoc...but only a Jr) has improved each year.

Just like these 4 key guys... there is an even longer list I'd reserve judgement on until we get deeper into the season. Generally... the staff is throwing waaaaaaaaaay more strikes; and nearly all the team pitching stats are improved over 2017. Granted...we are only 15 games into a season with better competition ahead (than behind) us. I really would like to know why 2017 was so awful from a pitching perspective. Something changed...and not the pitching personnel. It has not really changed too much...but across the board they are limiting 'freebies' compared to 2017.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Overall stat site - need to click on "View Stats Feed" not "Final stats": http://www.statbroadcast.com/events/statmonitr.php?gid=geot
Game #2 - go to Visitor Stats: http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=207840
Game #3: http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=207841

I'm hoping for a sweep of VT. They and Pitt are the weakest teams we play. If we only take 2 of 3 at home, we are still 2 below 500. I think we have to make 500 in ACC play to go to the NCAAs .....

I didn't watch any of the games but listened to parts of them while doing other things. So fortunately I don't have a lot of mental damage either. Plus, when the game gets out of hand, I can listen to other things. I felt sorry for Wiley in the Game #3 ......

As I posted after two batters in Game #3, that debacle was entirely on Hall. There was no reason to keep Hurter in after a walk and HBP; we have lots of better performing pitchers who could eat innings. Like Jake Lee. I hope to update the pitching summary before VT again ..... but we have many competent relievers.
Thanks...FYI, Clemson's strike ratio:

Game 1: 73%
Game 2: 63%
Game 3: 68%
That's simply outstanding pitching. That's around a 68% average for the series.

GT's strike ration for the three games:

Game 1: 61%
Game 2: 77%
Game 3: 59%

Not as good, more like a 64% average for the series. Miami last year was around a 57% average, so again, we are improved (thanks almost exclusively to Thomas).

It is interesting to look at last year's results. We were simply a horrid road team. I have no idea why. I hadn't thought that road vs home was that big a deal in baseball, but last year we won 1 of 3 at home in our first two ACC series vs UNC and Clemson...not horrible results (and we played well in the other games). On the road however, we dropped 2 of 3 against Wake Forest, got swept by Notre Dame and lost 2 of 3 against Miami. That put us at 2-4 at home and 2-7 on the road...a start we simply could not overcome. We did take 2 of 3 from VPI&SU on the road last year and had a sweep until Zac Ryan uncharacteristically melted down in the 8th inning of one of the games to cause a loss. So, I remain hopeful of a sweep this weekend.