Clemson

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Clemson baseball is the luckiest freaking team in the country. 7-1 in 1 run games this year. 9-1 in games decided by 3 or fewer. And that’s out of only 14 games played. Ridiculous garbage.

Clemson is good and lucky. A very dangerous combination. To play all those games and have their pitching keep them close enough is not something we have done.

We played well, Clemson played better. This was the game we had the best shot of winning. It doesn't mean we won't win today, just it's less likely.

I hope we only play one today, win or lose the first one. Get Clemson later in the season when our starting pitching has had a chance to get more experience (other than Curry we are woefully inexperienced).

Bottom of the 5th just starting and they have gotten Curry's pitch count up to 82 in 4 innings. Their pitcher has 62 pitches in 5 innings.

Clemson will win because of pitching strength and depth.

Our batting average may be higher than Clemson's but they've won a lot more. I think a large part is their approach at the plate to take more pitches and tire out the other team's pitcher. On WREK, Nick Sheerer (sic?) was saying as much. It is very effective for them. Would it be for us?

Looking at the weather, we'll be lucky to get one game in today. https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/sc/clemson

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I watched only the 1st 3 innings. Hard to nail down how I "feel" about this one. This is definitely our first loss in which we played really well overall. Good enough to win the game... just didn't happen. So my head says "great" ... it's only one of 30 (ish?) ACC games. It's on road against a legit top 10-20 team nationally.

But my heart says "missed opportunity" to bank a win. Bummed.

I resisted the "luck" angle pitched by @bwelbo ; but the evidence is staggering. Today's theme is that the baseball gods bring on the "due factor" with fire & fury. & no rain, please. I want to sweep today. Can only do that if both games are played.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
...... but the evidence is staggering. Today's theme is that the baseball gods bring on the "due factor" with fire & fury. .......

The evidence is staggering that Clemson is a good team to keep all their games so close and put themselves in position to win. Yes they have been lucky but they have made their luck.

I'm not that disappointed by the game yesterday; we played well. Far far better than the last UIC game or Bradley!! We play like we did yesterday in every game and we'll easily make the NCAAs.

But I expect us making the NCAAs this year is going to be suspenseful. I believe (saying that in a religious overtone) that we are a very young team and will be much better next year. I know that statement opens me up to quantifiable ridicule given our record our the last decade. But I BELIEVE! Now off to hike (going to my church to pray) and listen to the game.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Thru 5 & behind 4-1. Feels like a game that'll have some offense late. 4 runs isn't enough to win. We just need to capitalize when runners get on.

4th inning... we made what looked like an inexplicable base running blunder. Who knows if we have away runs there. Thomas has pitched really well... but he made the damage worse in 4-run 4th by committing his own throwing error on a difficult play... where he did have to rush the throw.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
The evidence is staggering that Clemson is a good team to keep all their games so close and put themselves in position to win. Yes they have been lucky but they have made their luck.

I'm not that disappointed by the game yesterday; we played well. Far far better than the last UIC game or Bradley!! We play like we did yesterday in every game and we'll easily make the NCAAs.

But I expect us making the NCAAs this year is going to be suspenseful. I believe (saying that in a religious overtone) that we are a very young team and will be much better next year. I know that statement opens me up to quantifiable ridicule given our record our the last decade. But I BELIEVE! Now off to hike (going to my church to pray) and listen to the game.
This.

Clemson is simply VERY solid in their pitching and that's 90% of baseball.

Too many bone headed plays. Can't win when you consistently help the other team. Ive watched 5 games this year and have seen nothing to tell me anything has changed except a bunch of clean shaven, short haired lads. Wasted a good pitching performance today.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
More bad base running in T8. Fundamental stuff... could have? ... should have been a big crooked number inning.

...this is hindsight... mostly... but I'm not a fan of Radcliff PHing for Wilhite there with 2nd&3rd & 2out. Wilhite a proven battler at plate who could get a walk to load bases or even a big hit. Radcliff did what he's done a lot this year... struck out in 3 pitches. I am sure he'll improve. No doubt. But as of now.. he's a K machine.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Back to decision to PH in T8. The resulting defensive changes... ball finds our new 3B TWICE. One ruled a hit off his glove... then a 2 out error. Baseball is a nasty mother... sometimes. Probably won't matter... unless we score 5 ish in 9th; but I remain in opposition of the PH decision. #deadhorsebeating

dawgbasher

Jolly Good Fellow
Have you ever seen worse base running in your life? I have, but it was back during 10U baseball. Inexcusable what happened on the base paths. Nauseating. Im with Up State. I've seen absolutely nothing to change my mind about this team or program. I watched every pitch of the first two games just to be sure. You can bet I will not waste any more time doing something as worthless as that in the near future. Good luck rest of the way Jackets & the next four years. You're gonna need it.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Too many bone headed plays. Can't win when you consistently help the other team. Ive watched 5 games this year and have seen nothing to tell me anything has changed except a bunch of clean shaven, short haired lads. Wasted a good pitching performance today.
Have you ever seen worse base running in your life? I have, but it was back during 10U baseball. Inexcusable what happened on the base paths. Nauseating. Im with Up State. I've seen absolutely nothing to change my mind about this team or program. I watched every pitch of the first two games just to be sure. You can bet I will not waste any more time doing something as worthless as that in the near future. Good luck rest of the way Jackets & the next four years. You're gonna need it.
Too many boneheaded plays, yes. It's frustrating to watch. However, there is improvement with this team. Ignoring or disregarding the positives isn't fair. On the road @ Clemson to start ACC play is a tough draw. We can still get out with a 1-2 weekend.

Bottom line... we're still better/improved IMO. 2 games into conference play is way too early to declare otherwise.

We have 2 really good starting pitchers in Curry & Thomas. They'll win way more than lose as we progress. It is a shame neither produced wins today.

Baseball is tough on the heart.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Goodbye. Don't let the door hit you in the *** on the way out.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hiked and listened to the game till the CT error in the 4th tied it at 1-1. Decided it was better to enjoy nature more at that point.

Carter Hall sapped the karma out of the team with his decision to go to third. It didn't lose the game by any means, but set the table for Clemson to storm back. Yes they got lucky hits to start the 4th, but 13-1 means you are good too.

I doubt we will be relevant in the ACC this year, but maybe we can sneak into the NCAAs.

Next year we will be a lot better. CT may be a better pitcher than Curry. CT had great numbers and a lot of control for most of the 7 innings; CT was better today than Curry was yesterday. 72 strikes on 92 pitches. 9 Ks and 0 walks.

Oh well, time to finish other things around the house.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Second game rained out? Weather shows it's raining there and looks like it will for a while. It's better to only be swept 2 games rather than three. We will need to sweep VT to get back to / above 500.

I was hoping that English was DH'ing in the first game so he could start in the second game for an inning or two. I think he'll be our third weekend starter as soon as his stamina is built up.

Deleted member 2897

I hope nobody is taking my comment about Clemson being lucky to imply that they do not have a good team. Quite the contrary – I think they have an amazingly great team. But, anytime you win 90% of your games decided by one run, there is always a little bit of luck. That is also though what makes good teams instead of bad teams – they are the ones that can actually win the close games. I am posting this via voice to text without proofreading, so please forgive me for any egregious spelling or grammatical errors.