Clemson

Techster

Helluva Engineer
That's the player I thought Heath could be. Nice distributor of the ball, and not turn it over. 8/2 assists/TO. Added a decent 5 points.

One thing we don't talk about much: With every game, our players are getting use to the coaches and the new offensive/defensive systems being implemented. Sometimes you have a group of players who may not be individually talented, but collectively, they become a good team. I'll use our football team as an example. We don't recruit the highest rated kids on offense, and quite a few of them probably wouldn't start for most of the teams in our league. However, because of the system we run, their skillset works well with what we do and how it fits collectively. Somehow, we win more than our share of games because we have kids that fit the system, and our coaches know what they're doing. Maybe that's the situation we're finding with the guys we have on our basketball team. Our coaches have found a way and a system to maximize the talent CBG couldn't.

I think it's going to take a perfect game to be even competitive with the top 1/3rd of our league, but we can definitely play with everyone else. It's going to be tough to win in this league, and we may not win another game all year. But maybe our guys are better than we think they are.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
shades of bc.... brian oliver etc. i was in the team locker room at half time for one of the tourney games in jax many years ago. bc blistered that team including mp with a whole bunch of profanities. from what i can tell so far.... cjp is bc minus the cussing. kinda.
I thought of Cremins tonight when I noticed how much CJP is just going to ride 2-3 players all the way and operate with not much of a bench. Of course, this is far more of necessity for Pastner than it was for Cremins and I hope it doesn't end up that way year after year. I think it helped bring an end to Cremins eventually as well.

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
I thought of Cremins tonight when I noticed how much CJP is just going to ride 2-3 players all the way and operate with not much of a bench. Of course, this is far more of necessity for Pastner than it was for Cremins and I hope it doesn't end up that way year after year. I think it helped bring an end to Cremins eventually as well.

Bobby was at the game last night, dressed in gold and cheering for Tech as usual.

slugboy

Staff member
I watched the second half (once I found out it was on Fox Sports South). Saw us hit a couple of 3's and play better perimeter defense. It's a strange feeling to watch the Jackets play four corners to run the clock down. I think we gave Lammers a workout--he was drenched. Clemson kept fighting the whole way though, until there was about 10 seconds left.

I looked at our RPI. We're 3-3 against the top 50 and we're still at #115. What's it going to take to move us up?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Really nice win. incredibly impressive to be 2-2 after the first 4.
if GT can win one of the 3 road games that would be huge.

Q didn't shoot well the first half but stayed aggressive and it really helped in terms of spacing and other guys getting good locks.

Okogie had sort of a quiet, solid game. He hit a couple of nice mid range jumpers that he hasn't shown much before. If he can start to do that with consistency he is going to be a heck of a player.

TJ had a meh first half but played well with one exception in the 2nd half.

Moore if he can develop a jumper is going to be a nice guard. He's able to get to the basket at times now even with teams largely playing way off him. if they have to take a couple of steps closer to him then he can really use his driving ability.

Gueye always seems to make a couple of great defensive plays with his length and I love his smile on the court.

Lammers development is nothing short of stunning. Wish we could have redshirted him one year, but he has come so far in so little time.

GT was the more aggressive team for most of the game. Their energy level was so much higher at the beginning. it felt like the team got tired at the end of the first half and that allowed Clemson to get back into it.

Clemson had a 1 pt lead, twice in the game for a total of about 3 min. And when GT when on its little run midway through the second half, Clemson never got it back below 2 scores.

Though GT would lose by 10-12. Happy to see another 75-63 win.

Liked the subbing last night alot. We didn't play alot of guys but we did get both Okogie and Lammers 4 min on the bench.

Anybody know which students got the 5 TV's CJP gave away at the end of the game?

if CJP can keep his no 3 game losing streak alive through this next 3 game stretch i will be very impressed.

Have to keep winning games to get the RPI up. Really need a road win or two. Most of our OOC games were against relatively weak opponents (which i think this team needed) and that lowers your RPI alot.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
This team seems to win or lose based on whether or not Q is shooting 10% or something at least respectable. We know what we’re gonna get with Lammers and Okogie but really just need at least someone else to something average. It seems like every game we lose, Q is shooting 1-10 or 0-10 and we win if he even shoots around 30-35%.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Aq+
Really nice win. incredibly impressive to be 2-2 after the first 4.
if GT can win one of the 3 road games that would be huge.

Q didn't shoot well the first half but stayed aggressive and it really helped in terms of spacing and other guys getting good locks.

Okogie had sort of a quiet, solid game. He hit a couple of nice mid range jumpers that he hasn't shown much before. If he can start to do that with consistency he is going to be a heck of a player.

TJ had a meh first half but played well with one exception in the 2nd half.

Moore if he can develop a jumper is going to be a nice guard. He's able to get to the basket at times now even with teams largely playing way off him. if they have to take a couple of steps closer to him then he can really use his driving ability.

Gueye always seems to make a couple of great defensive plays with his length and I love his smile on the court.

Lammers development is nothing short of stunning. Wish we could have redshirted him one year, but he has come so far in so little time.

GT was the more aggressive team for most of the game. Their energy level was so much higher at the beginning. it felt like the team got tired at the end of the first half and that allowed Clemson to get back into it.

Clemson had a 1 pt lead, twice in the game for a total of about 3 min. And when GT when on its little run midway through the second half, Clemson never got it back below 2 scores.

Though GT would lose by 10-12. Happy to see another 75-63 win.

Liked the subbing last night alot. We didn't play alot of guys but we did get both Okogie and Lammers 4 min on the bench.

Anybody know which students got the 5 TV's CJP gave away at the end of the game?

if CJP can keep his no 3 game losing streak alive through this next 3 game stretch i will be very impressed.

Have to keep winning games to get the RPI up. Really need a road win or two. Most of our OOC games were against relatively weak opponents (which i think this team needed) and that lowers your RPI alot.
I agree with all of Red's comments, and would like to add this:

Moore and Okogie have no fear. They make mistakes and sometimes can't finish at the basket, but they will get there. I love their aggressive play.

AD is beginning to play as if he can be a decent sub at any time in any game.

If TJ will wake up and understand that his natural talent is not enough by itself he could be a really good player.

If someone told me Q would be an important part of our success, I would have thought he would be hitting 40% of his 3's. Instead, he is playing lights out everywhere except his shooting.

If someone told me we would be 2-2 in the ACC right now I would have thought out team would be shooting the lights out. But I do not think we have reached our ceiling this year. There are still way too many lazy passes and unfinished plays that result in less than ideal shot selection. As someone else said, we are passing the ball like a veteran team. It is very impressive.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
But I distinctly remember being told during the Hewitt regime that you couldn't teach FT shooting. I don't understand!?!?!

FT shooting and shooting from the field are two different things. One is mechanical and repetitive and can be taught--and is taught by good coaches. The other seems to be something that you either have or you don't. It can be improved, but only within limits the vast majority of the time.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I found this to be a stunning win by the Jackets. All I have heard for months is that all the points left the team.
Nobody talked about what we had returning on defense. Heck of a coaching job by a hell of a coaching staff.
2 - 2 in the conference!

We only have two basketball players--Lammers and Okogie. However, we have athletes, and athletes can be taught to play defense. Credit the staff for developing what can be taught--FT and defense.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Let me ask the basketball gurus a question that I can't figure out.... how are we winning games with this roster?

We make it ugly on D. We are doing one simple thing that BG never did. Utilizing our length in a zone defense. Now that's not to say we have a great zone but we don't give up a whole lot of points in the paint and are making guys beat us from deep. Duke and to an extent Vile caught fire and it killed us Clemson and UNC not so much.

On offense it's our offense. You can hide some discrepancies by getting good shots and putting people in good position.

Example:

BG had Cox and Mitchell get the ball at the 3pt line at the top of the key with regularity. Neither could dribble and neither were good passers.

CJP has a good passing big man in Lammers. He brings Ben to the top of the key where he can set a ball screen, slip the screen, take the ball and perform a give and go or he can put the ball on the floor a little bit (Louisville game) AND he's smart enough to just wait for either of the Josh's or JMo to come back out and get it from him for a reset.

These two things are the biggest difference I have seen this year. There is a ton more motion to our offense and we are getting to the hoop and the line with more regularity.

*i don't know if we are ACTUALLY getting to the line more but we seem to be at least more effective from the line.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Great win guys.. If you don't know, now you know... We got ourselves a basketball coaching staff! The job that they're doing with these guys is nothing short of phenomenal!!

If we had Coach Pastner last year, that team may have advanced to the Sweet 16!