Clemson

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Home vs a team that we always seem to play like crap against (but usually at their place)

Like this matchup for us. JB is a great player (and on fire lately) and they can score the ball but if we play like we did against UNC and Vile and grind it out and get something (ANYTHING!!!) out of either Q or Jax we should be sitting pretty with 5 to go.

Okogie Ds up JB and Jax or JMo stifle Holmes and stay out of foul trouble and Ben needs to do his thing and we should be in good shape.

slugboy

Staff member
I don't know Clemson's basketball team well. I haven't watched one of their games yet. Are they more in the paint or more outside shooters? Fast or slow? Strong D or Strong O?
I looked at KenPom, and they have Clemson at #23 and Georgia Tech at #145. Clemson beat some teams that we lost to. Our records are about the same.
But over the last few years I've watched us lose to Clemson teams that we could beat. If we can be due for a win, we're due.

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
Clemson opens as a 9 point favorite in Vegas. I will be disappointed (and a little surprised) if we don't do better than that.

Better days ahead.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I don't know Clemson's basketball team well. I haven't watched one of their games yet. Are they more in the paint or more outside shooters? Fast or slow? Strong D or Strong O?
I looked at KenPom, and they have Clemson at #23 and Georgia Tech at #145. Clemson beat some teams that we lost to. Our records are about the same.
But over the last few years I've watched us lose to Clemson teams that we could beat. If we can be due for a win, we're due.

They can shoot this year. But I think we matchup well.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Brownell's team is legit this year. Better shooters than in past. Blossomgame is a stud. They share the ball well, too.
I think Vegas has the line about right. Think they should be 9-10 point favorites, but we have a shot if we play really well and/or catch them in post CFP hangover

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Brownell's team is legit this year. Better shooters than in past. Blossomgame is a stud. They share the ball well, too.
I think Vegas has the line about right. Think they should be 9-10 point favorites, but we have a shot if we play really well and/or catch them in post CFP hangover
Make it disgusting

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm thinking a 10-12 point loss.
This is easily Brownell's deepest and best team at Clemson and the first one that can really score the ball.
JB avg just under 20 ppg and then they have 6 players avg between 8.5 and 11 ppg and a 7th at 7. in ACC play those numbers are down about a point per game per person.
it's a deep and well rounded program this year. All the transfers have helped. They also shoot well from 3, with 5 guys avg 35% or better from 3 pt range.

As we have gotten into ACC play we are seeing how poor an offensive team we are. Okogie is avg 17 ppg, Lammers is avg 15 ppg and then we drop all the way down to Moore at just over 7 ppg (largely due to the Duke game). Q is giving us 7 ppg shooting 34% from 2 and 26% from 3. He at least gives us over 6 rpg (2nd of the team0. TJ has disappeared in the ACC, avg just 6 ppg shooting shooting 27% overall and 11% from three and gives you nothing else. Heath is avg 5 ppg on 30% shooting (almost all from UNC) and no one else even avg 2 ppg. We just don't score the ball enough against teams with real talent to win.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm thinking a 10-12 point loss.
This is easily Brownell's deepest and best team at Clemson and the first one that can really score the ball.
JB avg just under 20 ppg and then they have 6 players avg between 8.5 and 11 ppg and a 7th at 7. in ACC play those numbers are down about a point per game per person.
it's a deep and well rounded program this year. All the transfers have helped. They also shoot well from 3, with 5 guys avg 35% or better from 3 pt range.

As we have gotten into ACC play we are seeing how poor an offensive team we are. Okogie is avg 17 ppg, Lammers is avg 15 ppg and then we drop all the way down to Moore at just over 7 ppg (largely due to the Duke game). Q is giving us 7 ppg shooting 34% from 2 and 26% from 3. He at least gives us over 6 rpg (2nd of the team0. TJ has disappeared in the ACC, avg just 6 ppg shooting shooting 27% overall and 11% from three and gives you nothing else. Heath is avg 5 ppg on 30% shooting (almost all from UNC) and no one else even avg 2 ppg. We just don't score the ball enough against teams with real talent to win.
I think that Q's production offensively has been somewhat of an outlier so far. His FG % from the field and from 3 are down several points from last year, and I don't really think he's regressed in his ability to shoot the ball. I expect for him to start providing more support for Okogie and Lammers on the offensive end at some point this season, hopefully starting tonight

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I hope Q gives us more on offense, but I have no issue with him getting alot of min as who would you replace him with and frankly he helps in other areas - he rebounds well, plays hard on defense, hits his FT.

TJ just kills me, I really like him, but he just fails to produce against better teams. He is not shooting well from any range in ACC, at least he isn't turning the ball over, but he doesn't contribute much. We really need him to play to the level he is capable of - but he is almost in the 2nd half of his JR yr, time is running out. if he doesn't improve alot I could see him playing alot less next season.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Eh he shoots 30.4% for his career. Never has shot better than 32%. He's never been a great shooter he's just always been our best shooter ( Q that is)

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Uh oh.. there are too many people in here that like our chances tonight. Like others have said, I think that this is a better Clemson team than in years past.

In my opinion, it would take a great defensive effort on our part and someone getting really hot. Without bigger contributions from Tadric and/or Q, I just don't see a way.

We'll play hard and hang around, but I think that they're too balanced for us, and I don't seem them sleep walking through this one.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
My (un)educated guess is a comfortable Clemson win (meaning 5-9 points but never below that in the last 5 minutes).

I just don't think we have the offense to keep up, as Red has said.

One game, somewhere, sometime, Q is going to have a night like he did against UGa last year and carry us to an unexpected win this year. I just don't think it will be tonight.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
My (un)educated guess is a comfortable Clemson win (meaning 5-9 points but never below that in the last 5 minutes).

I just don't think we have the offense to keep up, as Red has said.

One game, somewhere, sometime, Q is going to have a night like he did against UGa last year and carry us to an unexpected win this year. I just don't think it will be tonight.

Wasn't that two years ago?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
One dynamic I am interested to watch is clemson is long and athletic in the paint and how lammers deals with that

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I hope Q gives us more on offense, but I have no issue with him getting alot of min as who would you replace him with and frankly he helps in other areas - he rebounds well, plays hard on defense, hits his FT.

TJ just kills me, I really like him, but he just fails to produce against better teams. He is not shooting well from any range in ACC, at least he isn't turning the ball over, but he doesn't contribute much. We really need him to play to the level he is capable of - but he is almost in the 2nd half of his JR yr, time is running out. if he doesn't improve alot I could see him playing alot less next season.
TJ made a couple of brilliant plays against UL, then he would disappear for long, heartbreaking stretches.