Clemson Postgame

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
My takeaways:

Clemson not only was the better team, but they played out of their minds today. Another incredible highlight-reel one-handed catch for a TD. I got the feeling early on that this was just not going to be our day.

4 picks including a pick-6. I’m hoping King learns from this game that you can’t be careless with your throws against a really good defense. It wasn’t just the pressure, some were just bad decisions.

For those complaining about our playcalling, we had a lot of plays that would have worked if we executed better. Too many pre-snap penalties got us behind the sticks, receivers picked today to have the dropsies, and King was uncharacteristically off-target with some of his throws. Our passing game complements our run game and vice-versa, so when one fails, they both suffer.

Our defense is getting better and capable of playing well against a decent-but-not-great offense, but we still can’t seem to defend 3rd and forever or 4th-and medium. Frustrating.

If I had to pick one game this year where we would be “off” and our opponent was “on”, it probably would have been this one. Going into the season most had penciled in a loss for this game anyway. We need to have our usual bounce-back game next week.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I understand the concept. But Johnson wasn’t losing 3-5 yards on his BBack dives. Usually it was a net gain when they unpiled as you mentioned. What we see now are WR’s losing 3-5 yards on those quick throws because everyone has our tape now and our WR’s don’t block worth a darn for each other. Or we hand it off 6 yards behind the LOS and our RB’s get mauled. One play Smith was handed the ball and did a great job fighting off the initial contact and juking the 2nd guy and we still lost 3 yards. No team wins being in 2nd and 10 plus. Why Buster can’t go from both under center and from the gun is just maddening. We aren’t UGA where we just win by showing up. And if Key doesn’t bring in a ton of OLinemen from recruiting or the portal then we’ll be right back here next year talking about it.
Clemson’s DLine is top 5 in the country, and has been for a long time. I’m not sure what you expected us to do. We dropped passes and threw interceptions when we tried to throw the ball downfield, if we could even get a pass off. We put up over 500 yards of offense the past 2 games. Clemson just came into our game riding high and hungry, and did to us what they should’ve been doing to everybody else in the conference outside of FSU. Which by the way, they held FSU to their lowest total yards all year and only allowed 22 rushing yards.

We were always going to have to play our best offensive game all year, OR create havoc and cause turnovers on defense to win the game. Neither happened, and Clemson’s superior athletes took over. I expect Clem to roll through UNC, South Carolina, and whoever they play in their bowl game to finish the year. They’ve got their swagger back, we just caught em after they found it.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
We still have a little hope with Ole Miss ( not much but a little)
Doesn't matter. Missouri is only team with 2 losses now and UGA could lose their last 2 two to Ole Miss and UT to end in a tie with Missouri who they beat.

Kmag

Jolly Good Fellow
Better team won. However, we had chances early on to make it a different game. Those drops hurt us badly. Not sure how many times I heard, “I’m buying Clemson”, but it was way over used.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
While I agree completely that Clemson dominated us I also think we helped by not taking advantage of some of the opportunities we did have for big plays in the game. And when you're clearly overmatched on the LOS you need big plays and we didn't make enough nor did Clemson give us much opportunity for many.

Clemson appears to have figured a few things out over the last couple of games and getting Shipley back certainly helped, too. I'm still feeling like we are making progress though we didn't show it at all in this game. I'm hoping that we bounce back just like we did after Boston College and BGSU.
Their QB has not been making many mistakes in the last few games. Their DL can take over a game when motivated (just ask Notre Dame). We hung with them pretty well in the first quarter but got worn down on D with too many TO's and too few first downs. Seemed like we were in second or third and long most of the game.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah GT is obviously struggling but PSU has to be frustrating because it seems you guys never beat teams of similar talent.
We do win big games. We’ve beat the PAC champs the last 2 times we’ve played them. We’ve won the Rose Bowl, cotton bowl and the fiesta bowl the last 5 or 6 years we just struggle to beat Ohio State and Michigan. Just not good enough at QB unfortunately. There’s only 5 or 6 teams imo that can beat Penn St but unfortunately 2 of the teams play in our division and conference 😂 gotta keep trying and find the right QB and we’ll get it done, we’ve done it before.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Clemson has by far the smartest coaching staff in the ACC in that they go out and recruit the blue chip, superior athletes. I am not sure what recruiting advantages a rural school in SC has that the other teams in conference don't but they have level 1 athletes. There were several times Haynes King tried to run today that I felt like would have worked against the other teams we played. He (King) himself seemed surprised a bit by their quickness. As former Tech HOF coach used to say, physical superiority negates all other schemes and factors or wtte.

I like that we played them so late in the season to better prepare us for the upcoming COFH. i don't think playing the U or UNC or anyone else had us prepped for their athleticism. Yes, their record isn't the greatest by they might be just rounding into form late this year.
Their recruiting advantage is that they fill a large stadium with 80K or so fans in orange every home game. Recruits
pay attention to that.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Their recruiting advantage is that they fill a large stadium with 80K or so fans in orange every home game. Recruits
pay attention to that.
You can see on the field that the Jackets are headed in the right direction. Just need a few more studs on defense and Ga Tech will be back in the top 25. I’m proud of the way they fight every game.