Clemson Postgame

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Clemson D backs showed out and played a hell of a game. King had very little space to throw to once their defense settled in. Our D was on the field way too much after the first 2 series. Was hoping for a better result but not surprised with the difference in talent level of the 2 teams. One good thing is we played a physical game and I believe we suffered no major injuries. Our tackling is so much better under Sherrer.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Agreed. It was bit unfortunate that we laid an egg today, but hopefully the boys regroup and win next Saturday under the lights.

Onward and upward from there. It would be a nice reward for all they've been through to get to go to a bowl.
If we can beat Syracuse, I will consider this a successful year. However, GT really should start a Poultry Science major. We are absolute experts at laying eggs.

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow
Glad team didn't quit... Too many mistakes today... Leaning lesson we get King for two more years I believe... Need some dudes and better coordinator on defense and we can build on this year would love to knock off UGA to help rebuild the fanbase

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
No, we didn't. Clemson straight up manhandled us. Drops or no, they were physically superior from start to finish and it showed. They kicked our tails from one end of the field to the other. The Clemson everyone expected week 1 showed up today. We are who we are - and we still have a long way to go.
This game really wasn't that winnable.
While I agree completely that Clemson dominated us I also think we helped by not taking advantage of some of the opportunities we did have for big plays in the game. And when you're clearly overmatched on the LOS you need big plays and we didn't make enough nor did Clemson give us much opportunity for many.

Clemson appears to have figured a few things out over the last couple of games and getting Shipley back certainly helped, too. I'm still feeling like we are making progress though we didn't show it at all in this game. I'm hoping that we bounce back just like we did after Boston College and BGSU.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Well, clem has some great athletes and lots of good ones.We have a few good ones but they got a boost in confidence from beating ND --and at home did their "thing" on us on OFF and Def.
I just hope we get it back together for Cuse or it will be a disappointing yr.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Meh... no shame losing to a better team. Clemson is the better team... by a good bit. That D is for real, it seems. I couldn't watch much, but their best D today appears to be our D not being able to get them off the field... a 37-23 minute TOP differential. Won't win much like that. Of course, 4 INT's will help do that for you.

Sometimes you take your whuppin' and get ready for the next one.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
There's more to it than that single play being highly effective. Plays set up other plays. Plays get the defense looking at different visual keys, gets the defense flowing certain ways - this is used to them set up a chunk play.
Used too often and goes nowhere. It would be effective to set up other plays if it worked.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I blame this loss on Tyler from Spartanburg…
I used to work in Spartanburg. Tyler is always in the middle of stupid $#!+.......

car slamming GIF

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Our team got stomped by a much better team with many more better players.

Way it goes.

Who would have thought — before the season started — that the Syracuse game would be the one that makes or breaks our season.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Clemson has by far the smartest coaching staff in the ACC in that they go out and recruit the blue chip, superior athletes. I am not sure what recruiting advantages a rural school in SC has that the other teams in conference don't but they have level 1 athletes. There were several times Haynes King tried to run today that I felt like would have worked against the other teams we played. He (King) himself seemed surprised a bit by their quickness. As former Tech HOF coach used to say, physical superiority negates all other schemes and factors or wtte.

I like that we played them so late in the season to better prepare us for the upcoming COFH. i don't think playing the U or UNC or anyone else had us prepped for their athleticism. Yes, their record isn't the greatest by they might be just rounding into form late this year.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
The dawgs are going to clinch the SEC east today. Missouri just scored to lead UT 29-7 with about 6 minutes left in the game.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
I was really impressed with the way Clemson played defense. In and around our backfield all day creating havoc with their defensive backs doing a great job in pass coverage. Can only hope GT can resemble that kind of defense some day. That being said I look for King and the offense to bounce back against Syracuse.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Same reason a Paul Johnson offense running a B-back dive for 1-2 yards on 1st down could still be an effective play, for what it sets up later in the game/drive.

Most fans look at plays like this: did it result in a first down/touchdown? If yes, it was a good play. If no, it was a bad play.
I understand the concept. But Johnson wasn’t losing 3-5 yards on his BBack dives. Usually it was a net gain when they unpiled as you mentioned. What we see now are WR’s losing 3-5 yards on those quick throws because everyone has our tape now and our WR’s don’t block worth a darn for each other. Or we hand it off 6 yards behind the LOS and our RB’s get mauled. One play Smith was handed the ball and did a great job fighting off the initial contact and juking the 2nd guy and we still lost 3 yards. No team wins being in 2nd and 10 plus. Why Buster can’t go from both under center and from the gun is just maddening. We aren’t UGA where we just win by showing up. And if Key doesn’t bring in a ton of OLinemen from recruiting or the portal then we’ll be right back here next year talking about it.